Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #8151 made 3 years ago
First Posting after several visits to the site in the last 6 months; seems like big changes have been underway here.

I am getting back to brewing after a 25+ year hiatus. I used to use extracts and made some interesting tasting batches in my time...(after the first case or so I would generally get used to the taste and could finish the batch). Not sure if this was due to the age of the extracts or my technique, but if I had to bet, it would likely be the latter. I'm geared up now with the basic BIAB equipment and have made a test batch of 2.5 gal with so-so results. Rather than using a tried-and-true recipe, I took a less than complete one and then scaled it down - not the best move on my part. For my 2nd, I plan to stick to a known recipe to be sure I've got the basics down. So if anyone can point me to a bomb-proof IPA recipe, hopefully I'll be on by way to beer-bliss.

Thanks much!

Post #8152 made 3 years ago
SQG - Welcome back to brewing and greetings to a fellow BIAB brewer. :clap:

Two things - check out the BIABacus at http://biabrewer.info/viewt ... f=5&t=1869

There you will find a recipe for NRB’s All Amarillo Pale Ale. It has been a recommended recipe for quite a long time. I looked it over once or twice but kept trying other recipes until one day it was time to buy ingredients and wondered how good it could be. I finally tried it and found out for myself why it is there. It gives a really good beer without complications and lets you focus on your brewing procedure. It may not be the best you will brew, but at an early learning stage it sets you up for success.

Try the BIABacus already filled in for the All Amarillo above but make sure to enter your kettle dimensions and adjust the batch size via the Volume Into Fermenter (VIF). Then buy the quantities on the right side of the ‘what you will use’ columns. Refresh your memory and avoid mis-steps by reading up on Clear Brewing Terminology at http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685

You can post your BIABacus file to ask questions, too.

Post #8153 made 3 years ago
Greetings beer lovers. My first post.

Located near Columbus Ohio, Ive been homebrewing for nearly 25 years. All of this time Ive chosen to make extract/partial mash recipes, not wanting to invest or dedicate the time, space and $ to going all-grain.

Now Im ready to take the next step, and am seriously considering BIAB because Im still quite constrained on space, and dont want to devote a full day to brewing.

Im hoping to learn how to set up a BIAB system and to pick the correct components to get the best results.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Bruce
    • BME Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8154 made 3 years ago
Hello Bruce, and welcome to the forum!

Let us know what questions you have... Best place is go into the BIAB for new members section and post a new post, if you can't find existing info. http://www.biabrewer.info/viewforum.php?f=5 Post as clear a title, and list questions as clearly stated as possible. Someone will likely be along to help you shortly.

One of the first ones I would suggest for a person looking to make the leap to BIAB is make sure you choose a large enough brew kettle. Remember you will be doing everything in one kettle. For normally brewing 5-gallon (19-liter) finished beer volume batches, you can just make it work with a 10 gallon brew kettle... That said - get a larger brew kettle, 15-16 gallons, if planning that size, as it will allow you flexibility for larger gravity brews and also for doing a larger volume of beer on occasion. That will seem like a big pot...but if this is the batch size you are planning on, you will thank me later. ;)

So you would want to give as much info as possible on what you will want to brew, planned batch sizes, etc. And for sure, review info here on the site. You will likely find lots of answers to questions, and it will also illustrate questions you don't even know you have...

Again, welcome to the site, and let us know how we can help!
Last edited by Scott on 22 May 2017, 04:54, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8155 made 3 years ago
Hi all,
Been a lurker here for a year or so as I got back in to brewing. Started brewing in the early 1980's in Adelaide, South Australia. Poor water, ingredients, and technique = crap beer. Plastic bins, sodium metabisulphate, and aquarium heaters comes to mind. Still drank it though!
I'm now in Canberra doing BIAB 21.5/43 ltr no chill with temp control fermentation, kegged. Focusing on APAs and ESBs. Just about to brew batch #19.
I've learnt a lot from this forum and am about to spend a few hours learning BIABacus. Have been using Beersmith but the use of brewhouse efficiency is driving me nuts.
So, congratulations to you all for providing a forum that looks to raising the bar on small batch brewing education.
Cheers
Hewy

Post #8156 made 3 years ago
Welcome to the forum Hewy!

Don't let the BIBacus scare you. It's all on one page. And download the Clear Brewing Terminology page as well so you can make sense of the terms the BIAB pioneers developed to describe different parts of the BIAB brewing process. One step at a time...

http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685

Let us know if any questions.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #8159 made 3 years ago
Hey guys and girls

Names Dean I'm from Melbourne Australia originally but out in nsw near Tamworth for the time being.
Been getting a bunch of great information from this site and thought it's time I posted and contribute as well.
My brother in law has got me into wanting to brew and im just about ready to order My first lot of grain and hops and get stuck in.
Wish me luck, I can't wait!

Cheers

Post #8161 made 3 years ago
Hello Fellow Homebrewers,

I have been brewing 5 gallon all-grain batches in a 3 vessel system for the past 4 years. I moved into the city of Chircago and don't have the room for my system so I have converted extra equipment to be a 2 gallon, no sparge, 1 vessel system for the stove top. I tried making one batch but I need volume marking so that I am not guessing how much boiled off. Looking forward to what the smaller production capacity will allow for in recipe creation and appreciation for the proess.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #8162 made 3 years ago
Hey fellow brewers,

I've been brewing kits and bits for years and the last two years I've been doing fwk only. Learnt heaps when doing extract about sanitation and fermentation. Started out hoping for the best and not really knowing any better and cairns weather was always against me. Finally set an stc1000 up in an old fridge and results where night and day. Originally started with two kegs, now run six and that still isn't enough haha. Decided it was finally time to go from fwk to my own recipes and AG so built my self a keggle this week and here I am.

🍺🍺 Adam
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Australia

Post #8163 made 3 years ago
Hi

After years of kit brewing with my Dad (and many kits at a university helping to sub the much-depleted cash supply on in London), I graduated to full mash (pun intended). I'm now Bristol with more storage & a job that let me upgrade my wiko's kit. I came across the site while doing my BIAB research. After some advice from here and my much better specced out American cousin-in-law (who has a full mash 3 step process) assembled a homemade wort chiller, 40L pan and a brewbag. I'm 3 BIABs into my full mash career and trying to convince dad to join me.

Results to date
Saison - over primed but still lovely, crystal clear in the bottle and explodes into the glass down to the last 6 bottles so it can't be that bad
Kernal IPA facsimile - failed to hit OG & added a bag of medium dme accidentally making a darker version which tastes great but at 8.2% its got a kick like a horse
Citra IPA - Bottled last week, clear and tasty (I broke this afternoon) Experiment with adding hops in the mash making it very floral.

Planning my first custom grain bill. Despite the 8.2% I like to keep it session.

John
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8164 made 3 years ago
Greetings to salbertsen84, Ronix81 and JSHaworth. Glad to have you aboard.

salbertsen84 - Check out the blank BIABacus version PR1.3T @ http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869 , enter your kettle dimensions in Section B, then over in Sections S and T look for the fields where you can enter a measurement from the top of your kettle down to the liquid to translate into volumes.

Ronix81 - Thanks for all your photos showing how you have set things up in a large brewing space.

JSHaworth - Keep working on your dad, he will come around eventually. It sounds like you have good instincts as to adapting your recipe mid-process. I have over-primed, too. Remind yourself that foam is beer, just temporarily in a different form. An 8.2% ABV batch is one heck of a session! See http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php ... =25#p25031 for a mention of FWH exposed to grist or not.
Last edited by ShorePoints on 04 Jun 2017, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.

Post #8165 made 3 years ago
Hi,

I'm a junior brewer from Israel.
I'm 39 with 2 little girls (so I brew in the evening when they're asleep).
Brewed 4 batches so far with extract and steeped grains using regular 14L SS kettle .
Now switching to all grain BIAB with my new Concord 38L kettle.
I've learned the basic brewing from a session at some experienced home-brewer and followed up with a lot of reading online and many discussions with a local home brew community in Israel.
I intend to brew about 1 batch per month to have some stock (only have 3 bottles left + newly carbonating 19L stout) so I want to build up some stock.
I got me a beverages fridge with STC 1000 to have temp-controlled fermentation so I hope to have more controlled fermentation.
I stumbled across this site while looking for info on FWH with BIAB and it looks quite handy with lotsa info so i'll have to dig in later and have an evening to tour the site.
Cheers
Last edited by Zilbeer on 06 Jun 2017, 03:14, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Israel

Post #8166 made 3 years ago
Hello, I am from the UK and I have been working up to do my first ever brew and its going to be BIAB! I am a beer geek and home brewing is kind of a natural progression to understanding more about the process and how variance can change flavours. I am finding it all very interesting learning experience and eager to learn more, which is one of the reasons I registered here!

Post #8168 made 3 years ago
Greetings all who read this.

I'm from the midwest USA. I started off doing a few extract kits and have made the switch to BIAB. I have done about 8 batches, all 1 gallon in size. I like the small batches as it gives me a variety that I won't get bored of drinking and lets me brew more often. And if it's garbage, I won't feel bad dumping out 8-9 bottles. :) I currently run with 4 little big mouth bubblers and a 2.5g brew pot. Anyway, I'm here to learn more and see what everyone else has been making.

Cheers,
Chris
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Netherlands

Post #8172 made 3 years ago
Welcome rwcdrums! It does appear a bit daunting at first but its really not bad once you play around with it a bit. Feel free to grab the copy with the All Amarillo pale ale already filled out and take an hour or two to change numbers and values and see how it affects other numbers and values. Check here if something doesn't seem to make sense, and feel free to ask questions.

Happy Brewing!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #8173 made 3 years ago
Hello there BIABrewers,

I am a used to be experienced home brewer in southern Ontario. By that I mean that I used to brew a long time ago and then family and kids and work etc.and I got away from the hobby. I recently decided to jump back in and even though the basics are the same, it is a very different world.

Anyway, my first brew back was an extract kit with some steeping grains that seemed to go very well, that was until I pulled the stopper out and there were some very sharp aroma's and had some really off flavours I am not sure what I did wrong but that is home brewing.

I then decided to try to move up to a BIAB process. I did a 2.5 gallon batch of a recipe that I put together. I had better luck with that until carbonation time. Into the keg it went, on went the CO2 and all was good until poured my first glass. Way to much carbonation but the taste was pretty close to what I was looking for. Another learning experience.

Anyway, I like the BIAB process but I need to work on fine tuning setup so that I can get things to a point where I have a consistent process and hit the marks that I am looking for.

Anyway, long intro but I look forward to being a member if the community.

Cheers
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Canada

Post #8175 made 3 years ago
Hi everyone,

Very pleased to have found this site! I'm a 27 year old stay at home dad living in Cornwall, Uk. I've been homebrewing beer, more recently wine, since I was 18. Started with cans and then did extract brewing. I have been researching biab for a while because i basically got sick of the faff of all the pans and expense of DME. I haven't done any biab brews yet but i got a baby burco boiler off ebay. I think it is 21 litres, so not sure what sort of final volume i can achieve with this?

Anyway i am very keen to adapt recipes from some books i've got that are for a conventional all grain set up. Im literally terrible at maths so hoping this won't be too complex!

Cheers!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Great Britain

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 34 guests