Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #7951 made 7 years ago
Welcome, Mike!
I had the best time there tailgating at a Cubs game - wish I could come back again! We don't even have tailgating in Australia can you believe it  :nup:
So many cool craft beer bars in the city and great breweries near you!
Feel free to ask lots of questions here, there are a fair few brew-gurus around.
Go cubbies!
Cheers,
Sarah :drink:
No BIPs? Get them while they're hot!
    • FWK Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #7952 made 7 years ago
Hello all,

I'm from San Francisco, California.

I found this site through homebrewtalk.  They warned that this site was information heavy! I love it.

I've been brewing for about a year. I'm a busy dad and took up brewing because I wanted a hobby that would keep me around the house and out of trouble. I biab and no chill as a way to save time and equipment cost. I may even start overnight mashing in order to break up my brew day.

I prefer brewing session style beers (under 4%) so I can drink a few and not be "drunk dad". English bitter anyone?

I look forward to finally seeing the biabacus. I currently use beersmith, biab calculator, and brunwater. Can't believe I'm considering an additional resources! 

Dan
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #7953 made 7 years ago
Hello Dan,

Welcome to the forum, from another West Coast USA'er...!  :salute: 

Info given on this site tends to be of very high quality. There is a high desire on BIABrewer.info to put out Good Info, "best practices", and avoid the "Dodgy" info or advice that one frequently sees on most normal homebrewing sites. That was a major reason that the BIAB pioneers developed their own website. They wanted to be able to "police" the info and advice being given on the forums. So it is very nice to hear you are of similar mindset.   ;)  You're going to like it here. 

The BIABacus is great, once you wrap your mind around the Terminology. I would recommend to download the file. Also the terminologies page, to review what everything means. Let us know if you need any help!
Last edited by Scott on 06 Feb 2017, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #7960 made 7 years ago
Welcome Apsull15. Lots of information and help is available on this site. To your question, download the Biabacus and enter your kettles dimensions in section B, then enter the desired VIF, again in section B.The Biabacus will warn you if you are approaching or exceeding your kettle capacity. My guess is you are, but what the heck do I know? Mess around with the Biabacus, you should be able to easily scale back the recipe to meet your equipment's requirements - the Biabacus does all the work if you input good data. Mess around with it and don't be shy about asking questions! A lot of people on this forum brew small batches because they want to have the flexibility small batches offer.

Post #7961 made 7 years ago
Already spending too much time procastinating on this site!! 
Currently living and working full-time in France, where we are now starting to see an explosion of craft brewing here which is great, but some (not all :yum:   ) of the commercial brews dont seem to have the tastes we are looking for and are often very gassy as I think its the french way, so we are are looking for so we have started to experiment with malt extract kits at home, and now ready for the step-up. 
My family are all-grain commercial brewers in the UK, so I am going to try this myself on a small scale with BIAG for convenience. 
I have also found some lovely you-tube videos, some on here,  to be very helpful with my equipment, and I guess this forum would now be my first point of call. 
Hope everyone is having a good day or evening!  :peace:
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From France

Post #7963 made 7 years ago
Hi All!

Eric, from Delaware, USA! Been brewing for about 2 years, almost all of it extract. Switched to BIAB last fall and love it! Currently planning on taking my computer engineering skills to automate the process as much as possible, but electrical wiring with 120/240v scare me...

Best part is, my wife supports the hobby and likes (most) of the beer!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #7964 made 7 years ago
Salut filoularochelle, et bienvenue! J'apprenais la Français en école (bien qu'il y a plusieurs années :blush: ) donc si tu as des questions sur traduction, demande moi s'il te plaît - je ferai de mon mieux! Je dois visiter France un de ces jours, j'ai de la famille à Paris  :)
Welcome also to Eric, I wish I had your computer knowledge - perhaps you can help us out with the website or turn the BIABacus into an App! I suppose you'll be doing your brewing similarly to the guys in the Electric BIAB forum? Cool!
Cheers,
Sarah :drink:
No BIPs? Get them while they're hot!
    • FWK Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #7965 made 7 years ago
Hi, 

My first brew was a week ago.  The first batch is in a carboy moving to secondary this week.  After a lot of reading I decided that my first brew was BIAB thinking that the next step would be multi vessel but after listening to a BIAB basic brew podcast I may stick with BIAB.  
My starting gravity was   a tad low and all the contents of the mash went into my fermenter.  I think I was supposed to leave some Traub in the kettle? 

I live in Marco Island, Florida and do not know any other home brewers.  Nothing like a good beer after a few hours paddling on the water but the only decent beers are at the brew pub. 

I came  to this site to get some basic info. 

Thanks to all, 
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #7966 made 7 years ago
Gday my name is Tony and I'm from Sydney, Australia. I came across the site following a listen to Pat on the Basic Brewing podcast (my primary source of brewing info as I spend a fair bit of time in the car). Still working my way through the site there seems to be a fair bit there! I've been brewing small batches for about 6 months on the stovetop, and growing my own hops (just brewed my first harvest ale!). Interested in moving from a bastardized 3 vessel with some big stovetop pots I have to single vessel though, and I'll try that in future brews. Just started a job in healthcare, which is good, but with a young family finding time to brew can be a struggle, but love when I'm able to.[font=Lucida Grande, Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] Looking forward to continuing my education on this site! Tony[/font]
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Australia

Post #7967 made 7 years ago
Hardly ever get to read this thread lately but always love it when I do. Very impressive greeting from Sarah to filoularochelle!
And, great first posts Thod and kayak. Welcome aboard :peace: 

kayakbrew: Congrats on your maiden voyage  :salute: All-grain is very forgiving so don't worry yourself on the things you mentioned. Your only job for now is to look forward to tasting your beer!

Thod: You're from my hometown! There is lots of info here but it is hard to find atm. We're working very hard to fix that. I started with three-vessel and, like many others here, would not consider going back to it. While you're waiting for info to be easy to find here, just jump in and ask any questions you have.

:peace:
Pat
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Post #7968 made 7 years ago
Hello friends.
Thank you for accepting me here and congratulations for the nice site.
I am from Portugal and found this site by chance while searching for information about the BIAB method. I saw that there are good contents here and decided to join.
Although I already have some experience in home distilling, in beer I'm just starting - the first two batch are now in the fermenter. After much research, I chose the BIAB method to get started and I'm really enjoying it. I'm just thinking about getting a basket when I move to a bigger pan (I made 10l productions in a 20L pan).
I am a biotechnologist and I run a chemical testing laboratory, although I am starting my agricultural project and have plans to start a distillery in a few years.

Cheers.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Portugal

Post #7971 made 7 years ago
Hey fellow BIABers,

I am from midwest USA and found this website though my research into BIAB. I am a partial mash brewer now for about 8mo, but wanted to go AG and found BIAB to be the best jumping point! Trying to convert my kitchen 5 gal pot into an AG I know will come with some constraints but I am sure it will be worth it. It be nice to brew 2-3 batches on my off days from the hospital (RN not MD)
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #7972 made 7 years ago
Hello Jamie and BufferNuggets! It appears you're both going to be doing small batches, as a lot of folks are doing with BIAB. Download the Biabacus and mess around with the numbers, and study up on the "Clear Terminology" section. Then ask a lot of questions. There are a bunch of very experienced brewers on this forum who gladly give excellent advice.

Post #7974 made 7 years ago
homebrewshop seems to do a good online range. Brewbitz is near to me to. 

If I were you, I'd try talking to your local microbrewer though. see if they will let you have some malt or yeast. warminster maltings are good for 25kg sacks, but the postage gets a bit much when you're sending kilos of malt through the post, hence why I'm sourcing it locally.

• SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Great Britain

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 75 guests