Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #7876 made 7 years ago
Hi All

I have a few batches of extract kits under my belt from about 8 years ago. I scored a kegarator setup for a $100 over Christmas and decided to get back into brewing.

I currently have a extract kit in the primary. 

Years ago I wanted to get into all grain but the cost and space needed were a problem. Now a I find out with BIAB I can keep costs down and space to a minimum.

Thanks for the great site.
    • Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #7878 made 7 years ago
Glad to find this site! Been brewing since 1986. BIAB'ed a couple of times in the past and now want to scale it down and brew inside. Built a couple of 3 tier systems in the past, including a RIMS. Now pushing 60, and diabetic, just don't drink as much. Was always as interested in the equipment and process's as much as drinking, I now have a garage full of stuff I don't use anymore :dunno: My favorite styles to brew are Continental light lagers,especially bopils, Helles, and Pre-prohibition lagers. Love mega brews, as long as the food I'm using it to wash down is spicey enough! Also, I'm in SE Michigan

Post #7881 made 7 years ago
Having done 2 kits and an extract brew over the last few months, Im looking forward to moving forwards to brewing my first AG BIAB over the next few weeks. Looking to do a good US Pale Ale and get some good hops into my life. Im in the SW of the UK with some seriously hard water! (Time to learn about water chemistry I think) 

Cheers 

Jamie 
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #7883 made 7 years ago
Hello,

My name is Daniel and I'm from Halifax, NS, Canada.

Last batch of homebrew I made was probably over a decade ago... In the last year I've made some hard cider and rhubarb and blackberry wines all from fruit in my backyard. In addition to a bunch of wine kits to satisfy the wife. Now that I've stockpiled 12 dozen bottles of wine, I want to get back into brewing beer.

I picked up three old kegs and started to convert them into Keggles (just the tops cut open at this point). I found this site in my search for the best bang for my buck way to get back into brewing.

Hope to start my first brew before the end of the month!!
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Canada

Hello BIAB world

Post #7886 made 7 years ago
Greetings from Melbourne. I've a newbie in home brewing I've made 3 kits and have my first BIAB 5 gallon batch in fermenting now.  Looking to gain skills and share experiences and be a part of the community.  Next up trying a 1 gallon batch of BIAB IPA. 

Cheers, 
Joel 
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Australia

Post #7888 made 7 years ago
Hello, just registered, having returned to brewing recently (used to brew Caxton kits years ago) I have done about 10 extract kits over the last few months with some good results compared to the old days. I am an Englishman living near Aberdeen & having done a few extracts am looking forward to some cloned riggwelter etc. I have decided to go all grain and am staring with a 30litre electric pot and going for biab. First go is going to be a wheat beer, I was thinking of mashing close to 30l volume with a continuous wort circulation ( I have a few fittings to come but have bought a small 12v pump & a plate pack cooler - think it will be a week or two before all the eBay bits come). I have a t and a couple of valves coming from the urn to the pump & can either pump back on top of the bag (continuous sparging) and then post boil pump through the plate pack to cool (circulating again to cool in minimum time). Anybody think this is daft? 

Post #7889 made 7 years ago
Welcome Cb1322. You may choose to pay no attention to this Connecticut Yankee who thinks it is daft. 
If doing a pure BIAB, using a full volume mash, there is no reason to employ continuous wort circulation when occasional stirring of the mash will work. You could do that recirculating activity, but then you'd have to call your process a modified BIAB. You mentioned continuous sparging and in what this forum talks about as BIAB, there is not a distinct step that one calls sparging. One can sparge the hot grains after the bag is pulled from the kettle (using Section W of the BIABacus) but that is also called a modified process.
After the boil, the pump and plate pack cooler used to cool the wort can serve you well and have no bearing on the BIAB term. The other end of the spectrum for cooling is referred to as no-chill.
You might make a great beer doing it the way you described, but it is very different to how I brew. There's room for both approaches on the forum so have at it.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Greetings

Post #7891 made 7 years ago
Hi Folks
First post, I'm from south coast of the UK and have been brewing for a year (since my wife brought me a kit for my 40th birthday).
Done about 12 brews so far, started with a few kits, done an extract brew and a few partial mashes.
Stumbled on this site after it was mentioned in a youtube video on biabing - is that even a word?
Recently upgraded my kit and plan to get stuck into biab properly soon although my next brew is an extract pale ale in the brewdog jackhammer style.
Site seems to have a lot of Aussies, which is cool seeing as they invented the thing, I'm familiar with the geography out there as I spent sometime backpacking in my youth. Best thing i've seen on the site so far is bobs hop vodka - guess what I'm doing tomorrow.
Best wishes all and I look forward to joining the community, there aren't any LHBS near me so online is my main resource.
PS I'm not from Macedonia - that's just my favourite flag, hope that's acceptable.

Post #7893 made 7 years ago
bertheloth: Welcome aboard and don't worry if your first brew wasn't the best, just ask questions. Even brewers with a lot of experience do crappy brews, often from just not knowing something that in hindsight, seems obvious. Let us know about your first brew; I sense you have a bit of comedy in you so we'll enjoy your posts and that the responses here will help you. 

toyhouse: Nice first post... heaps of diligent UK members here... DON'T make Bob's hop vodka!!!  :argh:

welfare:  :luck: tomorrow!
Last edited by PistolPatch on 13 Jan 2017, 23:21, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #7899 made 7 years ago
Welcome Wayne from South Africa. A 30L kettle will work quite well for a long time. Just use the BIABacus with your specific kettle dimensions entered. You should be able to get to Original Gravity in the 1.050+ neighborhood without using added sugar or Section W of the spreadsheet. Try filing it out and post your file if you have questions.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #7900 made 7 years ago
Hello everyone!

My name is Cesar. I am from Whittier Ca., I am new to the brewing industry, thus my stumble upon this website. I have read many articles online and found this particular website very informative. It has encouraged me to continue into brewing my own beer.

Looking forward to continue reading these forums to continue my quest into the brewing industry.

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 36 guests