Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #7828 made 5 years ago
Hi Janberto, MS beat me to it, but welcome aboard. You have found the best source for info on Biab. As far as no-sparge, that is sort of dependant on your definition of a 'sparge'. Around here we say full volume Biab is technically a passive sparge, since your grain is being mashed in the full volume of water for your brew for the entire length of the mash- the sparge is continuous through the mash, but requires no activity from the brewer- thus passive. 

Anyway, lots of info here, read up, ask questions if you cant find answers, there are many helpful brewers here willing to lend a hand.

Happy Brewing!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #7830 made 5 years ago
goulaigan wrote:Hi Janberto, MS beat me to it, but welcome aboard. You have found the best source for info on Biab. As far as no-sparge, that is sort of dependant on your definition of a 'sparge'. Around here we say full volume Biab is technically a passive sparge, since your grain is being mashed in the full volume of water for your brew for the entire length of the mash- the sparge is continuous through the mash, but requires no activity from the brewer- thus passive. 

Anyway, lots of info here, read up, ask questions if you cant find answers, there are many helpful brewers here willing to lend a hand.

Happy Brewing!
Ty. 
Im planning to buy the equipment for a full volume BIAB, but Im studying the thing first. 
My "Desired volume into fermentor" is about 10 liters. 
a)Would a kettle with a capacity of 22,5 liters, and a fermentor of 12 liters be ok for that ? 
b) A domestic stove plus an electric heating element of 2000w would do the job (to heat the the water and boil the wort) ?
c) A 7,5 meters aluminium immersion chiller is enough ?
Ty again.

Post #7831 made 5 years ago
janberto wrote:
goulaigan wrote:Hi Janberto, MS beat me to it, but welcome aboard. You have found the best source for info on Biab. As far as no-sparge, that is sort of dependant on your definition of a 'sparge'. Around here we say full volume Biab is technically a passive sparge, since your grain is being mashed in the full volume of water for your brew for the entire length of the mash- the sparge is continuous through the mash, but requires no activity from the brewer- thus passive. 

Happy Brewing!
Ty. 
Im planning to buy the equipment for a full volume BIAB, but Im studying the thing first. 
My "Desired volume into fermentor" is about 10 liters. 
a)Would a kettle with a capacity of 22,5 liters, and a fermentor of 12 liters be ok for that ? 
b) A domestic stove plus an electric heating element of 2000w would do the job (to heat the the water and boil the wort) ?
c) A 7,5 meters aluminium immersion chiller is enough ?
Ty again.
I just upgraded my brew pot -   I was brewing 1 gal (3.7l) batches in a 3 gallon (11.3l) pot.   I am upping to 1.75 gal (6.6l) desired into a mini keg,  and upgraded to a 5 gal (19l) kettle   
I was considering a 4 gal (15l) pot which would be the same ratio of your pot (22.5l) to final (10l) but thought it would be close for bigger grain bill brews.   Probably would be fine,   but I've had some big grain bill beers come close on the 3 gal pot.    I put my kettle in a pre-warmed oven to hold the mash temp, so my decision to go with the 5 gal pot was easy since it fits in the oven.

BIABacus does have a work around section (W) to add water (sparge or pre- and during the boil) to deal with recipes that exceed kettle mash volumes.  

To be sure, enter the kettle dimensions into BIABcus and plug in a favorite recipe -   it will tell you right away if the mash or boil volumes  comes close or exceeds the kettle.   Then plug in a big grain bill recipe too see if it still can hold the water volume.   
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

My First Post and first brew

Post #7834 made 5 years ago
[justify]Hello everybody, [/justify]
[justify]First of all, I would like to introduce me and apologize for my writing faults. My name is Juan Angel and I come from Valencia, Spain. [/justify]
[justify]I have a friend who did some homemade beer a years ago. It was nice, however it was a kit beer. Later I started to keep some information about making beer at home and I discovered the BIAB method. It is not very spread in Spain, and so, I arrived to this website. I have read most of the basic posts and I think I am ready to make my first AG BIAB homemade beer. It will be a SMASH of pale ale and magnum hops, an APA, hopefully. [/justify]
[justify]I attach the Biabacus file. (amazing sheet). I have called it the Magnum 44 Apa Smash  :party:[/justify]

[justify]As you can see, I will use my 8 liters kettle. So I will produce not more than 4-5 liters of beer. I will be trying different recipes and, if I am successful I will work out with a bigger kettle of 20 liters. I will be cooking at home, so I have to use my gas kitchenette and that restrict me to this maximum size. [/justify]
[justify]Anyway, I would like to congratulate for make this forum possible. People is awesome, they help the others in a clear way. [/justify]
[justify]Thank you very much and chin chin!!!  :drink:[/justify]
[justify]  [/justify]
[justify]                Juan Angel[/justify]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Spain

Post #7835 made 5 years ago
Hello Juan Angel and welcome to the forum! Good job on filling out the BIABacus. It is a big help. 
One suggestion I would have, if possible, is to use a more citrusy flavored hop for your finishing hops. (The last 10 to maybe 15 minutes; all the hops in this range, for flavor, etc.). Magnum is a great hop, but very clean. Especially good for bittering lagers but fine for ales too. Great as a bittering hop at 60 or 75 minutes, because at that time little aroma or flavor comes through - mostly just bittering. I would use Cascade hops if possible for aroma and flavor additions. (It is the "classic" APA hop). Maybe Centennial... A hop that has a more of a citrus flavor would be preferable to Magnum for flavor hop additions.
If you've already purchased the hops and want to use them anyway,  I'm sure Magnum will make a fine brew...just not quite classical APA hop flavoring. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!  :luck:
EDIT: Spell check on my iPhone put some things in here that were not intended so I had to rework it. 
Last edited by Scott on 18 Dec 2016, 02:41, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #7837 made 5 years ago
Hello from Montana. Kit brewer looking to get into all grain. I work as an efficiency consultant, and my work spills over into my brewing. Looking for the most efficient brewing method without sacrificing quality. I believe biab along w no chill is just what I'm looking for. Planning to brew up what I have stockpiled for kits while I study up and and order a few things I'm missing for biab. It 150 miles to my nearest homebrew shop, so I tend to stockpile. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll be giving it a shot and brew my first batch. I feel confident that it will go well, having this forum to reference as I go.   
    • HME Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #7838 made 5 years ago
Greetings, Adhose from Montana. Many of us have done the same as you, going from kits to AG, and we have found BIAB and this forum helps immensely. 
As your specialty, you know there are many kinds of efficiency to talk about; but don't get hung up on the efficiency numbers in brewing steps (into boil, into fermenter, into packaging) at this stage. After you have established what you and your equipment can and cannot do, then you can focus on those. 
If you have not done so already, download the BIABacus spreadsheet. Give it a go, post your file if you have questions.
Here is some help for the spreadsheet, if needed.
And read the Clear brewing Terminology to speak the local lingo.

Glad to have you here! 
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #7839 made 5 years ago
Hi,

I'm originally from Louisiana but have lived in the Portland, Oregon metro area for the last 25 years. 

We (DH and I) have made beer a few times, once from a kit and twice from recipes. Both were 1 gallon and all grain. We're planning to increase to 2.5 gallon (we live in a small and yard-less townhouse and have no place to use a propane burner). We want to do modified BIAB with a beverage cooler 

I found this site referred to in several comments on other websites. So far I think it's very helpful. The instructions I've found elsewhere aren't as detailed, and since it's been about a year since we made beer, we've kind of forgotten the details.

DH and I both work and we have a teenager still at home. 
    • Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #7840 made 5 years ago
Hello Alisa and welcome to the forum.  Nice to see more Oregonians posting here... ;) 

I have never personally done Mini-BIAB before, but lots of others on this forum have.  Here is a link to a page  from this website that focuses on this brewing style: http://www.biabrewer.info/viewforum.php?f=23

I believe that most all people doing this method with BIAB try to just use a larger pot, as large as possible... rather than using a separate cooler to mash in. 

Best of luck and for sure, post questions on Stove-top or Mini-BIAB on that Su page, and someone will be along to help you out!  :luck:
Last edited by Scott on 20 Dec 2016, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #7843 made 5 years ago
Hello fellow brewers,

I'm new to the brewing world. I have brewed 3 extract beers (5-gallon recipes) so far, all turned out better than I could have imagined - Saison, Belgian Triple (although a little low on the FG), and west coast IPA.  I want to make my next batch of beer(s) AG and am going the BIAB route to avoid buy more equipment right away. I am also thinking BIAB at the 3-4 gallon range might make more sense for me as I'll likely be able to brew (and consume) the batches more quickly. 

I live in Charlotte, North Carolina. I am a certified public accountant by day - lots of exciting tax-geek stuff. There's a great craftbeer scene in Charlotte which I vehemently support.  I have attended one of the local homebrew guild's monthly meetings - Carolina Brewmasters. That group is a great source of information that I plan to continue to mine. 

I am planning to brew my first AG and BIAB batch next week! I stumbled upon this site doing google searches for BIAB recipes and information. Looks like I might be in the right place.  Now...on to finish that recipe. 

Nathan
    • Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #7844 made 5 years ago
Welcome Nathan Mr_Clark 
Looks like you are well on your way to all grain brewing. If you haven't already taken a look at the biabacus 
http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=1869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and plug your recipe in it. You can start a new thread and we can sort out the recipe. 
Prost!
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #7845 made 5 years ago
Hey all, I am fairly new to brewing having done just a few kits in my spare time. I am keen to progress towards all grain brewing and BIAB seems like a sensible option for small batches without a huge equipment cost. 
I am UK based (electronic engineer) and will just be doing this as a hobby - certainly no intention to do any commercial brewing! I found the site through a bit of googling for BIAB methods/equipment
    • Under 5 Brews From Great Britain

Post #7848 made 5 years ago
Dale74 wrote:Hi everyone
I work at a brewery.  I've brewed on a 15bbl system and one extract batch at my house five years ago. I'm setting up a test batch system at our brewery, and it's going to be BIAB. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
Hi Dale!
How great to hear you'll be bringing the BIAB method into a commercial brewery.
Let's convert the world, one brew at a time!
Welcome :)
Cheers,
Sarah :drink:
No BIPs? Get them while they're hot!
    • FWK Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #7850 made 5 years ago
Hi all...my name's Andy and I'm brand new to the BIAB method. I came across this site while searching for some sort of reliable BIAB calculator (because doing everything by hand was getting old).

I'm from a small town in SC but it's home to a great craft beer bar where I work (occasionally) as a certified beer server. We also have a homebrew shop and we do partial mash homebrew demos for free for anyone who wants to learn. Or for anyone that likes to have a pint outside around some cool people.

Experience: as with most homebrewers (I assume) I started with extract. I've done probably 20-25 of those. I've done a few partial mash as well as quite a few all-grain brews on a buddy's 10 gallon system. However due to space/budget restrictions I decided that BIAB is a totally viable method for me. 

Favorite beer styles: whatever the season dictates - so right now stouts/porters and as the temperature drops the ABV goes up  :lol:

I'll be doing my first BIAB session tomorrow. For whatever reason I decided on a pre-prohibition porter so we'll see how that works out. 

Anyway, this seems like a good place to be for BIAB brewers. Cheers.
    • Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 37 guests