Re: My First Post! - Post here to become Fully Registered

Post #7803 made 7 years ago
fkosta wrote:Hi guys
I'm going to brew with BIAB method, and I'm building my elecrical kettle.I've just done a few hoppy kit, and I'm very exited to move to all grain world
Welcome to our forum fkosta.  :salute: Please post your electric system photos to the electric BIAB, we love photos and hearing about experiences.  Ask questions, if needed.
MS
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

First recipe

Post #7804 made 7 years ago
I have taken NRB's All Amarillo APA and scaled it to my kettle.  I would appreciate feedback as to whether I'm on the right track, particularly the strike water temp.  Some information I read elsewhere indicated a larger differential of temperature between the strike water and the mash temperature.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Re: First recipe

Post #7805 made 7 years ago
Tomas wrote:I have taken NRB's All Amarillo APA and scaled it to my kettle.  I would appreciate feedback as to whether I'm on the right track, particularly the strike water temp.  Some information I read elsewhere indicated a larger differential of temperature between the strike water and the mash temperature.
It looks good.  I would keep the default, which it's at, to be conservative.  Be sure to enter the actual grain temp too.

Post #7807 made 7 years ago
Tomas wrote:Mad Scientist:  Thanks for your reply.  Since I'm switching from extract brewing a lot of this stuff is a first time for me.  Re. ckg the grain temp, are you using the same thermometer that you use for gauging the mash temp & merely sticking the probe into the middle of the grain prior to adding it to the strike water & doughing in?
Yes, pretty much so.  I keep my grain and the crushed grain prior to brew day in the house, so it's easy to know that temp without sticking in a thermometer.

Post #7811 made 7 years ago
Welcome tegel  :salute:,

Just start a new thread when you first try to do the above. The "Calaculator" you'll be using to achieve the above is The BIABacus and, mainly because everything is pretty much on a single sheet, it can also, at a first look, appear overwhelming. It's actually pretty simple to use though, does things far more accurately than other software can, and requires very little user input.

Have fun and don't hesitate to start a new thread with any questions you have.

Cheers,
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #7812 made 7 years ago
 I am from North Carolina

I heard about the site when I think I googled "how to brew in a bag" or something

I like the site, no annoying ads and tons of easy to understand info

I have been brewing since November 2012 with the majority of that being all extract, my most recent brew however was a BIAB Oatmeal Milk Stout that came out delicious.

I have served in the military for a little over 14 years.

I recently converted my kegorator to a fermentation chamber/kegorator with the addition of a johnson temperature controller.  This has been instrumental in getting rid of the off-flavors I was getting previously in my batches.  I wish someone had told me a long time ago, after sanitation, controlling fermentation temperature is probably the second most important thing to ensuring your homebrew comes out perfect.  
I also recently started kegging which has been a challenge as I have had a host of issues with leakage issues as I bought the equipment second hand and have had to replace all the gaskets.
I started to BIAB because I did not want to make the investment in all-grain yet.  I already have a ten gallon brew kettle and have found it to be of adequate size for the majority of the BIAB beers I want to make.  
Cheers, Mike
Last edited by Sentry on 15 Dec 2016, 09:30, edited 3 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #7813 made 7 years ago
Welcome, jmculak. Whenever someone from North Carolina joins, I am reminded of good beer in the Asheville area and how fortunate you are to have great water for brewing. Fermentation temperature control is just one of many variables we have to deal with - it should stay within the boundaries that are particular to the yeast, but it doesn't have to be +/- 0.1 degree either. Keep good records and you can repeat the winners, avoid the others.

Post #7814 made 7 years ago
Hi,
Just discovering BIAB, having returned to brewing with extract kits after a break of 15 years plus.  I like the results I get from kits but felt I had a hobby that spent more time cleaning and sterilising than "cooking" and crafting. So BIAB caught my eye but maybe some shorter brew lengths of 2.5 gallons so I can brew on stove top in less time.  I have a 5 gallon (20 litre) pot on order and was wondering if I could do half batches of readily available 5 gallon all grain recipe packs. I like bitter but would like to try some American style pale ale recipes.
I live in Hertfordshire UK but my local home brew supplier has shut down so need to order ingredients easily online.
Looking forward to getting some advice from the forums which I stumbled upon searching BIAB on Google.

Ed
    • HME Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Great Britain

Post #7815 made 7 years ago
Hi Ed and Welcome to the forum.
You'll find everything you need here and there is always someone around to help you out if you get stuck. You can use AG recipe packs but you are better off scaling a well written recipe and asking the supplier to make up a pack of your requirements. You can scale any suitable recipe using the Biabacus.

Just post what you fancy brewing with a link and someone will have a look and help you out until you get the hang of it.

:luck: 

Yeasty
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #7816 made 7 years ago
My name is Andrew, from Plano, TX.  I have been brewing for 2 year -- 25-30 batches with a traditional mash tun cooler and bazooka screen and batch sparge. I bought a BIAB for my 10 gallon pot on a Black Friday deal and tried it for the first time last week. I double milled my grain and jumped in. I got 81% efficiency in my mash. Great! Much better than my 60-70% with traditional brewing. 
It was a good experience except some grains got into the boil kettle and I had to move it to another pot. I also had some temperature issues. I plan to get a bungee cord to position the bag opening to the pot better.  I also plan on turning the burner on mid-mash to LOW (don't want to damage my new bag :) ) to keep my temperature where I want it. 
I'm really interested in doing more batches. I love simplicity and I hear BIAB is just that. I'm excited to do my second batch. 
    • MVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #7817 made 7 years ago
Hi Andrew, and welcome to the forum.
There is a ton of different info out on BIAB throughout the net; some accurate but lots wrong or misleading. Think you will notice very good info presented on this site. 
I don't think you need to double crush your grain... For top efficiency we would recommend to do a 90 minute mash, along with 10 minute mash out if possible. Your over 80% Efficiency Into Boil is good, and is the norm of what I get as well. (Avg range for me approximately 81-84% for 1.050 OG beer). 
If you haven't downloaded and tried the BIABacus file, I highly recommend it!
So - good job on making the pilgrimage to BIAB, and let us know if any questions.  :luck:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #7818 made 7 years ago
Hi everyone.  Brand new to this. 
So far I have just used kits to make my beer.  I wanted to get to the next level so decided to jump straight to all-grain and BIAB.  It seemed pretty straight forward and I already had the stuff to be able to do it. 

I have a wheat beer doing its mash on the stove right now and I'm searching the internet for more info to make sure I'm heading down the right path with my plan while I wait.  I found you guys and it seems like there is lots of good info here so I'm adding this to my regular list.

Already have figured out that I have some tweaks to do for my next go around - the volume measurement on the side of my big pot doesn't match up with the big measuring cup that I'm also using.  This batch will have a "close enough" factor done on my volumes. 

Sean

Post #7819 made 7 years ago
Scott wrote:Hi Andrew, and welcome to the forum.
There is a ton of different info out on BIAB throughout the net; some accurate but lots wrong or misleading. Think you will notice very good info presented on this site. 
I don't think you need to double crush your grain... For top efficiency we would recommend to do a 90 minute mash, along with 10 minute mash out if possible. Your over 80% Efficiency Into Boil is good, and is the norm of what I get as well. (Avg range for me approximately 81-84% for 1.050 OG beer). 
If you haven't downloaded and tried the BIABacus file, I highly recommend it!
So - good job on making the pilgrimage to BIAB, and let us know if any questions.  :luck:
Thanks for the great info. I will try the longer mash with a normal crush next time. 
    • MVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #7820 made 7 years ago
Hello to Sean, rustyoletoy. Take a look around the site for recent posts on measuring volumes. The BIABacus has a section where you can measure and input the distance from your kettle rim downward to the surface of the liquid and, assuming you have entered your kettle dimensions in Section A and that your kettle is cylindrical, it will give you the volume of liquid accurately enough. Close enough is good in bocce, horseshoes and sometimes in brewing, too. Brew more and see.

Post #7821 made 7 years ago
Hello everybody,
I'm originally from Nova Scotia Canada but now split my time between my home on the Island of Eleuthera in the Bahamas and our place in Florida. I have been interested in brewing for many years and have just recently brewed my first batch which was an extract brew with pretty good success. 
Now I find myself addicted and have been reading, researching and watching youtube videos like crazy while I am stuck here offshore Africa at work.
Looking forward to getting home and putting a few batches on using some of the knowledge those of you have been kind enough to share.  :salute:
I have a basic Northern Brewer starter kit at home however plan to use my XL Masterbuilt Electric Turkey fryer to BIAB. 
Thanks again,
Jake
    • MVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Bahamas

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 56 guests