Transitioning to Brewing in a Basket

Post #1 made 4 years ago
I have brewed a lot of beer using the 3 vessel method, and I've completely revamped my brew rig to a single vessel, brew in a basket design. I have a picture but it won't load....file size too large, so here is a diagram of my Keggle with the grain basket in it, and the way I am recirculating is via a vertical pipe with holes in it. I've ordered a custom grain basket, 800 microns stainless steel mesh, that just fits into the opening I cut into the Keggle, and I've got feet on the basket so there is room for the dip tube. I plan to experiment with the grist size that will work best with this large mesh size, but I'm going for fast re-circulation. I plan on dumping hops directly into my Keggle and when the appropriate time is passed to filter them out by collecting them with a mesh bag at the return connector (with the vertical pipe removed) before I pump the wort to my plate chiller. I've tried this already, throwing the hops directly into the Keggle, and it worked fine. My system tubing is 3/8" ID and I am using a Steelhead 1/25th horsepower pump. I realize the vertical pipe approach is unorthodox but I'm going to try and make it work. is anyone doing this already, or something similar, I would love to hear your experiences. Thanks in advance for any feedback, and Cheers!
Grain Basket in Keggle.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Re: Transitioning to Brewing in a Basket

Post #2 made 4 years ago
Interesting design, any fear of creating channels where the wort returns through the pipe? Seems there are a number of people moving to a basket setup versus fabric filter these days. Good luck with the system, definitely post back here after you have a go with it.

Cheers,
Tony
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIABrewer Old Hands”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 24 guests