Musing while brewing

Post #1 made 9 years ago
I was just thinking whilst my boil was starting. Started skimming off the hot break and of course was smelling it.... Has anyone done a side x side to see if taking out the hot break drops your efficiency ? Changes the flavor profile? Or are you just helping clarity ? OR of course did I just waste 3 minutes of my life? What say you ??
JOE
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #2 made 9 years ago
I Now, skim the Hotbreak out of the kettle before it boils, and have never had a Boil Over, Since.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #3 made 9 years ago
I subscribe to the lazy Brewers process..... Why?
Professional breweries, even small ones, do not skim .
I have participated in brew days at small craft breweries, and n(edit)one have skimmed.
Also, Brewers I trust have suggested, that there are only so many foam making proteins in the brew, so why do you want to remove some?
And my logic, if you can call it that, is if you remove something (volume) from the brew, efficiency can only come down.

My thoughts

Lemon
Last edited by Lemon on 30 Mar 2015, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #4 made 9 years ago
I'm with Lemon: too damn lazy to do anything more than necessary to make tasty beer. (isn't that why we BIAB in the first place?)

---Todd
WWBBD?

Post #6 made 9 years ago
Thanks guys ! I have done both ways. Including tasting the hot break.....Hence the question. You get the malty taste from the hot break but, the cleanliness of the clear brew. As a side note, I do strain the wort when funneling into the fermenter . Understand , this is all in neverending quest for a great beer.
Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
Joe
PS Todd , I don't think it's laziness, just trying to shorten the brewday. Haha.. sounds better that way!

Post #7 made 9 years ago
JH, I skim to prevent Boil-overs, and Because I have Time.

I did funnel and strain the wort going to the fermenter, BUT,

Now, with small batches, the Kettle is a 4 day Primary, and 2 liter bottle are the Secondary.

A kettle with all the trub(hops are in a Hopsack), the beer has not been bad. The trub seems to help the Primary Fermentation.

So, Being Very lazy, I mash, Boil, No-Chill, and ferment in the same kettle.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #8 made 9 years ago
Josh, sometimes I have more time than others. Other times it all goes into the fermeter. Just depends.

Return to “BIABrewer Old Hands”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 35 guests