Gravity Question

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Sorry gents, been out of the loop for a bit. This may seem long-winded ,but, giving as much info as possible.
Brewed my Amber ale 3 weeks ago, keeping fermenting temps @ 68* F . After 1 week cold front came thru and temp dropped to 64* F . Not terrible, but , not ideal. left for 2nd week @ 64* F . Checked gravity @ 2 week mark and was 1.022 - expecting terminal @ 1.016 .
I had a 1/2 sachet US-05 in freezer so I rehydrated , gave a good shake to carboy and added. I wrapped carboy in a blanket and raised temp to 68* F for the next week. Checked this a.m. and gravity was @ 1.018 ,but, still tasted a tad bit sweet.
Usually, I know I shouldn't but , I let ferment 3 weeks and take 1 gravity reading at bottling.
I figure at the 3week mark all is done.I take 3 during mash and brewing , plus numerous Ph readings during mash. The past 2 times I brewed this they turned out to be gushers. No difference in the brewing of 5 batches.I found my handwritten notes from my first 2 batches ( a long time ago, when we used a real abacus for a calculator ) and my terminal gravity was @ 1.010.

Hence my question, should I
A)Let it ride for ! more week increasing temp to 70-72* F
B)Throw caution to the wind and bottle.
C) Bottle but using less sugar than normal because of extra yeast in the carboy .

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't worry with tomorrow because in-laws are in town from Michigan.
Joe
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #2 made 9 years ago
At this point in the fermentation it wouldn't hurt to increase the temperature to 75 degrees. I would shake the fermenter and let it ride for another week.

Post #4 made 9 years ago
Pulling it up as we speak. Wrapped another blanket around the carboy. Thanks Richard and Joshua.
Hoping this is why the last 2 were gushers. It's really a good beer. Want this one to turn out right.
I'll let you know how it is going in a couple of days.
Joe

Post #5 made 9 years ago
Richard and Josh , sorry it has been awhile . Wife had a seizure of some sort, low sodium and potassium they said were cause. Now I'm sick. But, bottled on Friday night after work, actually went to 5 week mark
and terminal was at 1.016 . Forgot to cut bottling yeast down a tad because of extra yeast. Hope there are no gushers, used 4 oz table sugar in 4.5 gal finished product.

Post #8 made 9 years ago
Just got my 1st taste...Not bad, been better . not as hoppy as before 24 IBU when it's usually 30 . Had a "smokey " taste. Only reason I can think of was 2 extra weeks on the yeast cake. On a good note .... no gushers yet . YEA !!!!
On a side note ...feeling a lot better !
Joe

Post #9 made 8 years ago
Hey ya'll Think I figured out my gusher problem with these Ambers........ I don't drink them fast enough. Opened one the other night and it had a very HEALTHY HEAD ! Guess I'll be drinking them sooner.
J

Return to “BIABrewer Old Hands”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 57 guests