Blichmann BrewEasy

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Anybody used/seen one of these?

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/products/breweasy

They say it is like BIAB, but have labeled it K-Rims. You use 2 pots instead of one but you also mash with your full amount of water and recirculate it through both kettles then drain into the bottom BK.

I have done something similar on a 3-vessel RIMS system where I made a pumpkin porter and used my BIAB inside the MashTun and recirculated through the RIMS (bottom of bag to the heat ex-changer and back through to the top of the bag) but not with the full volume of water (unlike BIAB)

Things I wonder. Would the BIABAcus work.....I can't see why not since you use full volume of water.
What about lost sugars do to the no squeeze affect?

They have an electric version which is cool!

Post #2 made 9 years ago
That is a great system, if your made out of Money.

Take a look at our "Electric BIAB" topic and read thru http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2858

and in "BIAB Automation"

look over http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=1040

and Maybe if you have time...http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=1017 for a 'Worms' system
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 9 years ago
People who switch from 3V are going to eat this up. They are used to spending money, and this looks much simpler relative to most systems I've seen. It's impressive, and I'd probably buy one if I was swimming in money.

On the other side of the coin, true BIAB is about practicality. $150 kettle, $50 burner, $5 bag, cheap pulley ... frugality is the heart of BIAB. Anyone with a basic setup like this, is likely enjoying great beer and chuckling at the thought that people are going to drop $2k on this thing.

With that said, I WANT ONE!!!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 9 years ago
MC, I forgot to Mention, the BrewEasy system, or any other Multi-vessel(basket)system and pump, and Plumbing, as well at the Tap into the Kettle, and the spray/drip system....Will take a LONG time to Cleans and Sanitize.

I wonder how much labor the BrewEasy or BrauMeister http://www.speidels-braumeister.de/ really saves.

JMHO.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 9 years ago
joshua wrote:MC, I forgot to Mention, the BrewEasy system, or any other Multi-vessel(basket)system and pump, and Plumbing, as well at the Tap into the Kettle, and the spray/drip system....Will take a LONG time to Cleans and Sanitize.

I wonder how much labor the BrewEasy or BrauMeister http://www.speidels-braumeister.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; really saves.

JMHO.
It is supposed to be clean in place....just run some PBW throught the lines from BK to MT using the pump and lines..... Seems straight forward. Cleaning out a bag with 30 pounds of grain is no walk in the park :)
Last edited by the_mc on 14 Nov 2014, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.

Post #6 made 9 years ago
Have a look at the GRAINFATHER too.
It seems to be the same thing at half the cost???

If there is one thing that definitely looks good about this it is the optional copper hood to turn it into a still. :argh:
Last edited by mally on 14 Nov 2014, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #7 made 9 years ago
the_mc,

I only have time for one detailed post today and this might as well be it - someone has to be the killjoy :).

Firstly, the good news. The BIABacus PR 1.3T and onwards (if not before) will work on any system whether it be full-volume BIAB, traditional BIAB or even extract brewing. So, no worries there.

My worry is though that so much attention gets paid to the production and then boiling of sweet liquor which is not a complicated or hard process. It does not require a lot of equipment and only takes a few hours. It is silly to be imitating a brewery that can produce 1000 litres when you are only producing 19 litres (5 gallons) but you never see this written about on home brewing forums.

To me, a brew easy is like buying a commercial car wash to wash one car.

If you want to spend money, you don't need to spend it at the front end of the brewing process, you need to spend it on the back end. For example, how many fridges have you got? What's your packaging set-up?

It is important for us home-brewers to not be falsely lead into the romantic notion that home-brewing is all about the production of sweet liquor then boiling and hopping it. Real brewing is actually more drudgery (cleaning) and discipline (paying attention) than anything else.

So, advice you'll never see anywhere but here...

Spend your excess money and thinking on dealing with your wort after flame-out than before it. Before flame-out, thanks to BIAB, is totally simple.

:peace:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 15 Nov 2014, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #8 made 9 years ago
^^^^ Excellent post ^^^^^

Mastering fermentation is the most important step to making great beer. Nothing else you do in the brewing process even comes close
Last edited by safebrew222 on 16 Nov 2014, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

Blichmann BrewEasy

Post #9 made 9 years ago
Absolutely agree that fermentation is more important than wort creation. Making wort is a relatively foolproof process but fermentation can add or detract immeasurably from the final product.

Slightly off topic but the idea that 3 vessel brewing is traditional brewing seems inaccurate. Surely this wasn't the process used thousands I years ago. If anything it seems like a small scale replication of a commercial brewing process.

With my very simple BIAB process I am happy with wort production and am much more focused on fermentation in improving the quality of my beer.

Not saying if I had the coin I wouldn't be looking at a braumeister or similar but I see that as a luxury rather than a necessity.

Blichmann BrewEasy

Post #10 made 9 years ago
I'm currently using a BIAB with recirculation because it holds temperature so well, I don't have good insulation.

I've built a BM clone its its no easier than BIAB and much harder to clean. After some months unused the pump was still wet inside, I like my kit clean and DRY before it is stored.

I also had a Brutus 20 which is the system on which the BrewEasy is based it was easy to use and surprisingly easy to clean, IMHO not significantly harder than BIAB.

I was going to rebuild it using constant recirculation just like the BE but as I aim to produce 5gal batches I've had to leave it, my boiler is too big splitting the water between two vessels would leave the level in the boiler unhappily close to the element.

Atb. Aamcle
    • Over 20 Brews From Great Britain

Post #11 made 9 years ago
aamcle wrote:I'm currently using a BIAB with recirculation because it holds temperature so well, I don't have good insulation.

I've built a BM clone its its no easier than BIAB and much harder to clean. After some months unused the pump was still wet inside, I like my kit clean and DRY before it is stored.

I also had a Brutus 20 which is the system on which the BrewEasy is based it was easy to use and surprisingly easy to clean, IMHO not significantly harder than BIAB.

I was going to rebuild it using constant recirculation just like the BE but as I aim to produce 5gal batches I've had to leave it, my boiler is too big splitting the water between two vessels would leave the level in the boiler unhappily close to the element.

Atb. Aamcle
Thanks Aamcle.....I have also read that it is pretty much the Brutus 20. I went ahead and ordered the pots but I am going to use different elements and controllers so that I can do 5 or 10 gallon batches.
Last edited by the_mc on 18 Dec 2014, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “BIABrewer Old Hands”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 30 guests