Post #51 made 9 years ago
PP, IMHO, short MASHES Can make "Fizzy, Yellow, Hop Soda" and LONG mashes make great Brown Ale, Porter, and Stouts.

Mashing Above 162F/72C is great for Alpha Amylase, but does nothing for Beta, and Nothing for good attenuation.

Just My Humble Opinion, Your mileage may vary...IHMO,YMMV
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Fine versus Normal Crush Experiment

Post #52 made 9 years ago
PP nails it in post #50 for both what we do & don't know. I thought about experiments needed to sort out the fine grind / short mash impacts but stopped when it began to look like a new career. There are instruments that could help, but I do not have them (retired from that).
Speed up extractions? Of WHAT??? Specific gravity and Iodine tests do not tell what you have extracted and that is important to the yeast and other aspects of the final product. Then change your grain bill and start the whole investigation over again. I would rather brew beer.
If some commit to the fine / short route and make award-winning beer(s), I will be interested.
ShorePoints

Shore Points

Post #53 made 9 years ago
ShorePoints, this Topic was set for the Few of us that Really know, there is NO ONE WAY to brew...Just your Own.

After 100 Batches, there is no reason to stay with one of Anything, Recipes, Hops, process, Carbonation, bottles/Keg/Barrels-Oak,Hickory or Cherry.

The Temperature will tell you what your Extracting, Roast and Caramel grains don't need mashing.

The larger the Grain bill is, the longer the mash takes, for a full Conversion.

Some like 60 minute Mashes, Some like 90 minutes, Others like 120 minutes or Longer.

Some beers are OK at 20 minutes @ 160F, which means very little Beta Amylase, and ALL Alpha Amylase.

Experiment, and throw away the BAD Batches, or Drink them and Learn.

Just MHO.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #54 made 9 years ago
Sorry so late to post, work does that.,
Joshua .. so true .. I have a Lager that most people would have trashed 2 months ago ,but, I hope will settle out . Either that or I will figure out what the off flavors are from. I'm typing ,so that mean it's not deadly!!
Homebrewing is all about experimentation. The learning curve is outrageously high.

Post #55 made 9 years ago
Thanks for your inputs to the thread guys. I’ve enjoyed reading all your posts.

I was hoping for a more definitive answer than what we have so far, but totally agree with shorepoints in it being a career to iron out points 1 to 4.
To do so would take a lot of experiments and possibly for little gain, something that I am certainly not willing to do on my own.

I personally will not change my method based on what we have in front of us. I actually don't mind the 90 minute mash, and as I said previously, the grain I buy comes pre-crushed, so anything else is just adding more work. Its also possible that some base grains convert quicker than others, but as I don't which ones these are (each grain tends not to come with instructions :lol: ). I will just "keep calm & carry on".

For reference, I have now marked the topic with a green tick, which basically means I am happy with the outcome of the post and consider it finished. Please see my first post for major conclusions.

I can change it back (I think) if anybody wants to jump in and add any data.

Cheers :salute:
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #56 made 9 years ago
[Those who have been actively following this thread, please see the post script which will be removed in approx three or four days.]
mally wrote:For reference, I have now marked the topic with a green tick, which basically means I am happy with the outcome of the post and consider it finished. Please see my first post for major conclusions.

I can change it back (I think) if anybody wants to jump in and add any data.

Cheers :salute:
mally, that is the perfect thing to do with this thread. A tick and an edit of your first post allows everyone to get informed in a single post.

You can always edit the tick of your first post at any time. Normally though you would just edit your first post with a better answer if and when one is offered here or elsewhere.

[center]Postscript[/center]
Those of you who were actively following this thread will have seen that I have just moved several posts off the main board. I did intend to leave them on the board as a good example of poor quality posts (started by me :)) but there was a flurry of editing and deleting of posts and so this excellent example of poor quality which we so rarely see here was lost.

Some of this editing and deleting was done by Moderators who were acting with the best of intentions but none of them are really used to dealing with poor quality posts as they happen very rarely.

To ensure that both Moderators and forum members are clear on policy, I will write a thread called, "Instructions to Moderators," and publish it in Important Notices so as everyone can see it. Once done, I'll edit this post and re-submit it so as you receive an email notification if you have subscribed to this thread.
Last edited by Pat on 29 Oct 2014, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
Are you a "Goodwill Brewer?" Pay forward and Buy Some BIPs ;)

Return to “BIABrewer Old Hands”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 22 guests