Dilemma

Post #1 made 10 years ago
Hope explanation isn't long winded... :sleep: :sleep: Home today for heart doc appointment. ALL OK :thumbs: :thumbs: Checked gravity on my Citrus HopBomb ( thanks for leaving some Mosaic and Simcoe Bob ) was at 1.014 OG was 1.056 .....18 days fermenting and will bottle this weekend.
Hence my dilemma , My Honey Wheat has been fermenting 10 days, WB-06 at 23*c/72-74*f . Getting the banana smell.... Checked gravity , after it settled some from a good shake (30 min) . Reading was 1.010 , checked again and same. The real problem is ..... I will be in Tallahasse,Fl this coming Mon- Wed for orientation at Fl State with our daughter.. I CAN'T trust the wife to watch the ferment temps. Will check gravity on Sat. Should I
1) Bottle this weekend if gravity is the same? Or
2) Pray that she will put ice bottles in the cooler?
Don't want 5 gal/19 l wasted.
J
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #2 made 10 years ago
As both brews are about done I don't think you have to worry about fermentation temps so much. What do you think the max they will reach if you wife is lazy.? I would have thought that if you can keep it down to below 30 you may get away with it.

Saying that, looking at your numbers they both seem done so if you have the time get em bottled :shoot:

Yeasty
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #4 made 10 years ago
I have a funny feeling that you might be right in the middle of DWRAHAHB territory here. Your Honey Wheat has been fermenting for 10 days and is at 1.010. All or most of fermentation is complete, which means (to me) that it isn't a big deal if your wife neglects her ice bottle swapping duties. It is a wheat beer, and some people believe they are best when super young. So young that they would say you have already left it in the fermenter far too long. I've heard of people placing in homebrew competitions by bottling their wheats at 3-4 days without priming, and having carbonation happen in transit to the competition just from fermentation finishing in the bottle.

If you are still at 1.010 on Sat, then bottle if you feel like it and have the time. I also think you will be fine if you don't have a chance to get around to bottling for a few weeks. I guess it depends on which camp you belong to regarding the aging of wheat beers.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #5 made 10 years ago
Yeasty, I could probably keep below 30*.Will be leaving around 9am so 1st day will be ok.
M.S. Yep. 92* today.Carboys are in the garage in 95l coolers with 4l ice bottles, keeps temps perfect.
Jack, I was surprised it came down so fast .Used the same yeast,rehydrated also, in my last Honey Wheat and it took 15 days to ferment. Only difference is I read Fermentis website and it gave higher fermenting temps than what I ran last time.Guess it helps to ferment at the proper temps!!

Post #6 made 10 years ago
Glad to hear the heart test went well and you are good for another week or two :).

Both beers will be more than ready at those times/temps so bottle away.

Have fun at the uni bar. Hold on, that might be wrong :scratch:.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #7 made 10 years ago
Do you have a recipe for the honey wheat.. or does anyone have a proven recipe. I pour for a west coast brewery at many beer tests. One of their flagship products is a honey wheat Tangerine beer. I was skeptical the first time I poured it.. but it is a fantastic summer drink.. VERY popular with the craft brew crowd at any beerfest... and not just the ladies.. the guys keep coming back and back and back. I want to try to replicate that beer.. All I know is is that the base is a honey wheat. and tangerine is added. Nothing subtle about it. as soon as you taste it.. the nose is tangerine and the back is tangerine. Very clean.

Look up Lost Coast Brewing in Eureka, Calif. The other flagship brew is Great White.. another wheat beer. Downtown Brown is quite popular as well. I brought home a growler of Tangerine and 18 bottles of leftover Indica IPA. Nice benefits :D
Bill
Hop Song Brewing-Santa Rosa, California

Post #8 made 10 years ago
PP , might not be the greatest idea....since I'll be up there with my 17...soon to be 18 year old.No need for secrets to get back to the wife. :nup: :nup:
Bill , I will post the recipe soon.It's my own recipe, have not had complaints from anyone ,but, I know how that goes sometimes. :shoot:
I'll post later next week as I will be gone till Wed.
J
Oops Sorry PP , Yes I am quite happy about the test also ! :champ: :champ:

Return to “BIABrewer Old Hands”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 23 guests