Post #26 made 9 years ago
Hahaha. See you're having fun there MS :). Great post from Lylo on the attenuation thing too.

For quick reference some issues of a fine grind and a collection of gravity figures at different mash times

It's certainly possible that gravity doesn't increase on a floury grind after a short time but I really would like to taste the resulting beer. ANother thing for the side by side list but a pretty low priority for me at least :).
Last edited by PistolPatch on 18 Sep 2014, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #27 made 9 years ago
[MODNOTE: Any posts regarding mally's fine crush experiment have been copied to Fine versus Normal Crush Experiment.Please reply there.]

I "almost" signed up to make comments but just couldn't do it :P

I am certainly interested in a little experiment though, just to see one way or another.
i was thinking of pulverising the grain in a blender, then sieving the flour to see if I can remove any of the husk material (chaff).

Small sample, something like 250g, to make a 1L VIF (not wasting 5Kg), mash at 65C, take gravity measurements at 1 minute intervals until no change.
Normal fermentation, see what the hell it tastes like. :sneak:
Last edited by mally on 18 Sep 2014, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #28 made 9 years ago
Go for it. That would be great mally but...

Don't separate the husks. Pulverise everything and add the whole lot - that is what they are doing. This will avoid any weight comparison issues assuming you can do a side by side (which you'd need to do) and will also help show if there is a tannin issue.

The experiment would not only need to be a side by side one but would have to be repeated a few times on different styles.

Never easy eh? :smoke:
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #30 made 9 years ago
It was this attitude from many HBT'ers that prompted me to cancel my subscription last year :scratch: :think: :dunno: and donate it to hte BIABrewer cause. Actually I found the AHB site even worse in regards to BIAB!
AWOL

Post #31 made 9 years ago
Haha, my tolerance for ignorance and stupidity has been reached in that thread. I tried, yet the heart of the matters have been ignored while focus has gone to myopic knee jerk reactions on their part.

Some of that was reasonable discourse though, props to some of those guys.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #32 made 9 years ago
We tried, THANKS EVERYONE!!!

I think they brought in their people too for the fight, haha... :lol:

Okay, really people? RM-MN and company, who is Pat and the founder of BIAB, WE NO LISTEN TO STINKING PODCASTS :lol:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #33 made 9 years ago
"Science? PSHHHHH, what is this science DON'T WORRY DO WHAT I SAY, BECAUSE HBT IS A POPULARITY CONTEST."

I'll admit, I can be pretty condescending and intolerant (AKA a huge asshole) ... so maybe I'm not the best spokesperson for this site. Took me a bit too long to realize that, too late.

Post #35 made 9 years ago
haha, yeah I was busy today.

I feel like the demeanor of HBT in general is paralleled to a dysfunctional family, and they are reading posts here through their hate lenses ... throwing everything out of context. Sad really, if that's the case.

Post #38 made 9 years ago
Well that was an "interesting" read. :nup:

You guys try to help someone and all they do is spit back in your face. Not to worry, I think the best comment in the thread was the guy never brews the same beer twice. :headhit:

Probably because it tastes like "Cats Pi$$" and he couldn't stomach it!

As a wise man said
“To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.”

Or in my simple terms, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Post #39 made 9 years ago
Guys, Lighten Up....

This Is In America, They Have the Right to Their opinions about BIAB on HBT, Regardless of How Pig-Headed, Ignorant, and Stupid those Ideas are.

I am just One Seppo, Commenting and Other Seppos....
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #43 made 9 years ago
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Rick wrote:I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
You took the red pill, right?
I certainly hope so. I'm red/green colorblind, so technically I would have to reach for the "not blue pill". :drink:
Last edited by Rick on 19 Sep 2014, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.

Misinformation Posts About BIAB

Post #44 made 9 years ago
You might wanna rethink that Rick. As far as scientists have been able to ascertain our planet is the only one with beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Misinformation Posts About BIAB

Post #45 made 9 years ago
Yes in an attempt to prevent myself from spreading misinformation I've reduced my activity to lurking lol.

"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #46 made 9 years ago
Just to play devils advocate here :shoot:

What if there is some truth in fine crushing? What parameters are required for it to work/not work (if any)?

I can easily believe that powdered malt converts much quicker. In fact I wrote a few years back that you could theoretically brew with no bag if you could somehow de-husk the barley and just add to your kettle the endosperm & embryo (separating pericarp, testa, aleurone) etc. Though I guess it cannot be done easily (or inexpensively).
The question for me though is, what does the resulting beer taste like? Is it repeatable, robust, suitable for all styles, and what other effects are there? trub etc.

I do plan to test this myself soon (no promises here) but this is what I propose;
side by side experiment where I use the same ingredients at the same time under the same conditions.
One batch of the malt is used as is supplied by the LHBS; pre-crushed.
The other batch is blitzed in a food processor into a fine powder.
Both are mashed & boiled at the same time.
During the mash, take regular gravity readings to plot progress (of both). I think 1 minute intervals will be too difficult to achieve, as I will have to closely monitor temps as well.

Here is the recipe

FEEL MY CRUSH

Brewer: Mally
Style: (OGK) “only god knows”

ABV: 4.1% (assumes any priming sugar used is diluted.)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.040
IBU's (Tinseth): 35
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0.87
Colour: 6.3 EBC = 3.2 SRM

Kettle Efficiency (as in EIB and EAW): 94.5 %
Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 81 %

Mash: 90 mins at 66 C, Boil: 60 min, Ferment: 7 days at 18 C = 64.4 F

Total Water Needed (TWN): 3.13 L
Volume into Boil (VIB): 3.15 L @ 1.015
Volume of Ambient Wort (VAW): 1.17 L @ 1.04
Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 1 L @ 1.04
Volume into Packaging (VIP): 0.93 L @ 1.01 attenuation of 75 %

100% PILSNER MALT (5 EBC = 2.5 SRM) 167 grams

33.3 IBU CLUSTER Pellets (7.3%AA) 1.9 grams at 60 mins
1.7 IBU CLUSTER Pellets (7.3%AA) 2.3 grams at 1 mins

Mash Type: Pure BIAB (Full-Volume Mash): for 90 mins at 66 C = 150.8 F

Strike Water Needed (SWN): 3.19 L at 66.5 C
Mashout for 10 mins at 78 C

Hopsock Used: n
Chilling Method: NATURAL/AIR COOL

Fermentation: St Austell for 7 days at 18 C = 64.4 F

Secondary Used: n
Crash-Chilled: n
Filtered: n
Req. Volumes of CO2: 2.5
Serving Temp: 6 C = 42.8 F
Condition for 30 days.
Consume within 12 months.

Any comments, theories, suggestions, or corrections? please feel free to contribute :salute:
Last edited by mally on 19 Sep 2014, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
G B

Post #47 made 9 years ago
nosco wrote:You might wanna rethink that Rick. As far as scientists have been able to ascertain our planet is the only one with beer.

Australians have pioneered BIAB, perhaps Italians have been working on Brew In A-Space?

Wow, that was a terrible joke.
Last edited by Rick on 19 Sep 2014, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.

Post #48 made 9 years ago
mally, is there any way you can get the crudest/cheapest pils malt that has an issue converting even with 90 minute mashes?

:D

I feel like this experiment has to go the distance in order to mean something. It's inevitable that we run into exceptions to what will work under the 20 minute mash, and I'm taking RM-MN at his word that he's getting decent beer with his source ingredients. Looks like he's from Minnesota, so he has access to quality stuff.

I suppose we need to come up with some sort of realistic goal, and then decide whether we want to spend the time and money working toward it.
Last edited by Rick on 20 Sep 2014, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.

Post #49 made 9 years ago
Mally,
I live where there are MANY "Harvester Combines".

The Kennel is passed between two Soft plates that roll the Kennels, the Husk breaks loose, then, the Kennels are passed thru a column of Blowing Air to separate Chaff from the Grain (winnow).

If your want to try this....rub some Un-milled grain between your hands, and have a Box fan near by sitting on an old Bed sheet, blowing down the sheet.

Let the Grain roll out of you hands in front of the Box fan.(while it is Blowing).

The grain will blow downwind a few feet and the Chaff/Husk material will blow MUCH further....Being Outside is a good Idea.

There are many ideas to create Small Winnowers. Good Luck
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #50 made 9 years ago
Thanks Joshua, I may get around to looking into that (I noticed your new thread too) :salute:

However for this grain crush experiment; I have only gone and done it!
There are some good and bad points to it but I think that goes with the territory with experiments. :think:

I decided to go for 150g Weyermann Pilsner malt in 2L water (TWN), one as normal, one "blitzed" in a blender, more info to follow after some pics;
NORMAL CRUSH.jpg
150g of normal crushed grain as is from the LHBS.
BLENDER.jpg
150g of normal grain after approx 30 seconds in a blender
BLITZED.jpg
The same grain in a tub, just to show that I lost 1g in the transfer.
TWN.jpg
Scales are "tared" with empty pan(s) and filled with 2Kg water (2L nominal).
DUAL MASH.jpg
Both pans are brought up to mashing temps (approx 66C) bags located and grain tipped in. Mash is at 65C after dough in.
The first interesting thing I noticed was that the "blitzed" grain formed doughballs very easily. No big problem though, just took a little longer to thoroughly mix in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mally on 20 Sep 2014, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.
G B

Return to “BIABrewer Old Hands”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 25 guests