Ideas on Small Scale, Side by Side Experiments.

Post #1 made 11 years ago
MODERATOR NOTE 7th November 2012: This and other recent threads have resulted in the creation of a new forum purely devoted to research. Ideas on how we should structure this new forum can be made here (link to be provided.)

There's been more talk than usual here in the last week regarding side by side testing. Many things in brewing can really only be tested in such a manner and usually have to be repeated several times to get any valuable results.

Large scale side by side testing is impossible though for most home brewers and for those who can do it, it is impractical to do it regularly. Who wants to drink 20 gallons of the same beer?

So, it might be interesting in this thread to explore....

1. What side by side tests you'd like to do or have done.
2. What equipment would work on a small scale - kettle, bag, fermentor etc
3. What methodology would work on a small scale.

Maybe you can toss your ideas around in this thread?

:peace:
PP

Note: Just in case this thread takes off, I'll reserve the next three posts and keep them updated with what you come up with. For example, if you have already done a side by side on something post or link the results here and I'll update the post below with it.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 06 Nov 2012, 18:55, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #2 made 11 years ago
[center]Side by Side Experiments Suggested or Tested[/center]

Simple (Side by Side not needed. Anyone can participate in these).

1. Mash Gravity Figures over Time (BIABrewer) - Being conducted now in this thread.

Intermediate (Side by Side Needed).

1. Does active Sparging Give any Efficiency Benefit? (PistolPatch) - Some basic testing done. Design needed.
2. Late Hopping versus Dry Hopping (BobBrews) - Some basic testing done. Design needed.
3. FWH versus Flavour and Aroma Hops (Joshua) - Some basic testing done. Design needed.

Advanced (May require advanced skills, equipment etc).

1. Mash pH of Different Grists (BrickBrewHaus) - Conducted once. Initial details Simple (Anyone can particpate in these).[/b]]here.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 06 Nov 2012, 18:55, edited 4 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #3 made 11 years ago
[center]Suggestions so far on Equipment[/center]

Will keep updated.

Small Mash Tuns/Kettles

Small Bags

Small Fermentors
Last edited by PistolPatch on 06 Nov 2012, 18:55, edited 5 times in total.

Post #4 made 11 years ago
[center]Suggestions so far on Methodology[/center]

Simple

1. Wort-Splitting (joshua) - Basic principle written here.
2. Triangle Testing - How to blind taste test two beers.(Needs post written).

Intermediate

1. Forum/Thread/Post Structure (PistolPatch) - How can we use the forum so as members can participate in or learn from our experiments? Initial thoughts here.

Advanced

1. Reverse Osmosis Water (BrickBrewHaus) - May be necessary in some experiments or useful in others. For example, if several brewers conducted an experiment and achieved contradictory results, the brewers could repeat the experiment with RO water to see if the same discrepancy occurred.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 06 Nov 2012, 18:56, edited 4 times in total.

Post #5 made 11 years ago
I have been conducting test's on late hopping verses dry hopping already. I may continue to do that as a reaffirmation of my results. We could do it as a group also? I think we may try testing FWH (First Wort Hopping) as compared to "Standard" hopping? We have lots of passionate brewers on this site and if we can come up with a valid and repeatable testing procedure we can learn from each other and become better brewers.

On a side note. We can enhance this forum and make it a Mecca for people interested in debunking brewing myths and legends? We have plenty to be proud of on this site. BIAB refutes many standard brewing myths already. Why not kick it up a notch and prove or disprove our inherited brewing practices? We don't have to go crazy but sometimes it's nicer to have a goal in sight to give us direction rather than just stumbling about?

Speaking of "Stumbling about" what do you think PP? :lol:
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 11 years ago
The trouble with conducting tests between multiple brewers over multiple locations is that equipment and conditions are rarely the same. Any useful experiment should be carefully thought out to eliminate as many of these variables as possible. This is probably most true when talking about tasting experiments. One of the big variables here is the water that's being used and the radically different composition of that water.

I propose that all experiments should use RO water whenever possible. It is easily obtained and will level the playing field, partially, for all brewers on all continents.

I think it would be fun to do collaborative experiments on a regularly scheduled basis, say every 3 months. That way careful planning can be put into place. There can be one (or two or three) people in charge but taking suggestions in the month or so leading up to it. They can then lay out a detailed step-by-step process that everyone should follow as closely as possible, and a list of things that should be reported. After everyone reports back with their results, the leader can summarize everything into one concise report. Sounds like fun.

Post #7 made 11 years ago
BBH,

Good insight. Water is very different regionally. Store bought water might even have differences? But even if we have exactly the same water our taste buds will confuse matters as well as water. Genetically we taste the same substance's differently. That throws a monkey wrench into every taste test. I suppose our brew clubs or family gatherings can help by using a number of variable taste types?
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #8 made 11 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:For example, if you have already done a side by side on something post or link the results here and I'll update the post below with it.
I did an experiment testing the mash pH of different grists (different proportions of crystal and dark malts) as a function of residual alkalinity of the water. This was done using (very) scaled down mash volumes, but was equivalent to a full volume BIAB mash. That's an important aspect because the larger the liquor-to-grain ratio, the more resistant to pH change the mash will be. This ultimately means that BIABers can use water with very low alkalinity and hardness and still fall in the range of "acceptable" mash pH values. For instance, I use distilled water plus (depending on the beer) up to 25% of my hard and alkaline tap water, down to 0% tap water for very lightly colored beers.

I was just thinking this morning, before seeing this thread, that I'd like to redo that experiment. There were a couple, possible pit falls along the way when conducting it originally that I can fix on a second attempt. Maybe that could be one of the first collaborative experiments?
Last edited by BrickBrewHaus on 06 Nov 2012, 22:31, edited 2 times in total.

Post #9 made 11 years ago
BobBrews wrote:BBH,

Good insight. Water is very different regionally. Store bought water might even have differences? But even if we have exactly the same water our taste buds will confuse matters as well as water. Genetically we taste the same substance's differently. That throws a monkey wrench into every taste test. I suppose our brew clubs or family gatherings can help by using a number of variable taste types?
Yeah, taste perceptions are the other MAJOR variable. I think experiments should measure, whenever possible, something quantitative (gravity, temperature, alcohol, pH, etc.) with the equipment homebrewers have available. Now that's almost impossible as we're really only concerned with taste in our beer and the taste compounds can only be measured in very expensive lab equipment. I guess that's where we need to be very careful in designing the experiment.

If taste perception is the result that's being reported, maybe the experimenters should report their perceptions of different tastes on a scale of 1 to 10. That would be the job of the lead person to come up with a list of detailed taste perceptions that can be detected. Maybe the BJCP has a list somewhere of common tastes and what they are most commonly associated with (i.e., butterscotch, citrusy, etc.).

I guess the point here is that the experiment becomes more and more viable, trustworthy, and meaningful the more careful we are about designing the experiment. Plus, I think its fun to try to hammer out these details (most other people might get annoyed by it though :) )
Last edited by BrickBrewHaus on 06 Nov 2012, 22:38, edited 2 times in total.

Post #10 made 11 years ago
Good Day,

If you don't want ALOT of beer, Break a 23L mash into 2x11L and Boil each with a different hop/schedule/FWH. Fast Chill/slo-chill/No-chill, and Bottle 1 case(24x375ml) from each batch.

Then try one from "a" and one from "b". Have a mate or two, do the side by side.

If one batch really sucks....Dump it, 11L is not a big worry.

And if you made 4 fermenters, break the 23L mash into 4x12 packs of bottles, a 12pack can disappear quickly.

Again, Just my $0.02au
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #11 made 11 years ago
I expect my new toy arrival .Its a cheap digital ph meter but I think has better readibilty than ph stips .So I will conduct a mash ph experiment as BrickBrewHaus with the tap water of Athens .They will be ideally 2-3 potencial grain bills reperesenting the majority of the colour palete of the beer being brewed usually (of course I will use scaled grainbill with full biab method water to grist ratio) Lager/Pils ,Pale Ale,Porter/Stout and maybe an Amber for the colour mid range if this needed .On the first hand I will measure the mash ph and record the data and if there are close to acceptable ranges (5,2-5,6) I will stop there.If not I will conduct a second course with potencial water treatments and get the results.
What I expecting to conclude is how the mash ph theory stands on BIAB with moderate water alkalinity and If there is a need for water treatment ,to contribute some "water recipes" for the local homebrewers here (of course this will be applicable to brewers worldwide with the same water composition) .Also this will help to justify if all the water treatment software out there can calculate right water treatment applications regarding the BIAB method and make the water treatment easy for the newcomer to BIAB.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Greece

Post #12 made 11 years ago
joshua wrote:If one batch really sucks....Dump it, 11L is not a big worry.
:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: No way is that not a big worry,, I hate dumping beer :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I won't do it I tell yea, I just won't do it, :nup: :nup: :nup: :nup:...... I'm all for taking one for the team :shoot: but 11L... :shock:... I'm feeling faint, I'm going for a lie down :sneak:
Last edited by Yeasty on 07 Nov 2012, 01:26, edited 2 times in total.
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #13 made 11 years ago
Yeasty,

I have dumped beer! Band aid smelling junk. I smelled better stuff at a kids "Chain Puke" (chain puke is when one child throws up and then the others do too) It's got to be done! It's good for the plants (yeast is B vitamin's) The trick is when you have a "questionable" beer. You dump in some hot peppers and sell it to your friends as a "Manley pepper beer"? Men are to embarrassed to say it's to hot for them! If you haven't brewed a bad beer you haven't been brewing enough! It happens!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #14 made 11 years ago
Bob,,
I've only had to dump beer once in the last 2 years. It was a batch where the fermentation temp got away from me and it ended up more fruity than monkey droppings. Anyway that was a full keg and a dozen bottles down the drain which broke my heart :cry: . I think I need therapy, this has brought it all back, I can still see it when I close my eyes, :sleep: ....got ...to ....lie ...down..now...

Post #15 made 11 years ago
Seriously,, :lol:

Good thread,

The hardest thing is to get a good balance between a manageable amount of ale for a decent test and not too much in case it goes wrong. But hey are we really talking about brewing a bad beer, if we are going to just test the naunces of hopping, mash PH and the like I don't think we will go wrong by much, :scratch: My thinking is the same as Joshua, 20L brew split over 4 x 5L which will fit into a demijon or one of those small wine fermenters. And if we do it correctly we will always have a control batch and 5L of drinkable beer.

Post #16 made 11 years ago
BobBrews wrote:We don't have to go crazy but sometimes it's nicer to have a goal in sight to give us direction rather than just stumbling about?
I think not going crazy and having direction are two very important points.

Not Going Crazy

There are many simple experiments that any brewer can do that won't require any special skills, water, equipment etc, but that will give very quick and valuable information to a wide audience. For example...

1. Mash Gravity Figures - Whilst primitive, the figures being collected on this here are already telling a story. Anyone can contribute to that experiment.

2. Active Sparging versus Full-Volume (Passive Sparging) - There are a lot of brewers out there active sparging who could be full-volume brewing. I've done several side by side brews on this and found bugger all efficiency difference. This needs to be tested many times on a small scale to get valuable results though. How do we do that?

Experiments like these are really easy as it doesn't even matter if everyone's hydrometers read differently. All we are looking at is percentages.

Water experiments such as the impressive one BBH linked above are at the hardest end of the scale and pose many difficulties. For example, the pH meter I recently bought, even when calibrated disagrees with my pH strips which do agree with my mate's very expensive pH meter :roll:.

Other experiments are half-way between. For example, wort-splitting as joshua mentioned above followed by triangle testing can be used to give very valuable feedback on many taste experiments as it can answer the most basic question of all, "Can anyone taste any difference at all between the way I brewed these two beers?" Any brewer can answer that question. If all of them say no then we already know a lot. If there is a difference then describing it is obviously harder and in many cases, brewers like myself would struggle to put it into words.

Having Direction

I'm thinking that having just one experiment every three months or so would be limiting. Why not have a structure that allows members to participate in the areas that interest them when they want?

Enabling this probably boils down to how things are laid out on the forum. Let's look at two examples...

1. BrickBrewHaus's Experiment - This is an advanced experiment. BBH has designed it already and conducted it once. It will be of great interest to a niche of brewers. So, should he start a new thread? Should he reserve the first few posts of the new thread to post updates? Where should he post it? How should he title it so as a reader knows it is advanced? Can the forum structure be set up so as his work and the work that anyone else contributes can be quickly found by anyone looking for such information?

2. Active/Passive Sparging Experiment - Here we have a simple experiment but no design. Do we design it here or start another thread straight away? All the questions asked in 1 above re thread placement, title etc apply here as well.

Setting up a structure where things won't get lost and are easily found is something we should bear in mind. BIABrewer has been looking at this on other areas of the forum. For example, if you look at this forum, you'll see that it now has 'Announcements' as well as stickies. Maybe this additional 'structural' layer can be used to our advantage here?

I've edited Post 2, 3 and 4 with what has been mentioned so far. Let me know if I have missed anything.

Donya :P,
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 07 Nov 2012, 05:24, edited 2 times in total.

Post #17 made 11 years ago
[center]MODERATOR NOTE[/center]

A lot of excellent ideas and angles have been expressed on research above and in other threads recently. Your efforts have resulted in a whole new research forum. Please read this thread.

To make the re-structuring of the Research section easier for Founders and Moderators, some posts you might have intended to post here may better be posted in some of the new threads just created. Please explore this option.

Any posts that directly relate to small-scale, side by side experiments are definitely best posted here for now.

Many thanks,
Nuff
Last edited by Nuff on 08 Nov 2012, 01:33, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “BIABrewer Old Hands”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 31 guests