Stupid Sod

Post #1 made 12 years ago
So, got a fridge from the office and decided its perfect for conditioning beer, store my yeast & yeast slants and keep my leftover hops in. After cleaning it out I plugged it in and loaded it with 10L of lager and the other stuff. Temperature setting on 2 (1 being warm and 8 being cold). Opened the fridge yesterday to be confronted by a 10L bucket of beer frozen solid and some frozen yeast slants/wash yeast bottles.
I'm accepting the loss of the yeast as payment for my stupidity of not using proper temp control on the fridge but I'm hoping to rescue the lager. I'm thinking of defrosting it, let it condition for a bit more and add a small, weak fermented lager (1L @ 1.020?) just before bottling. Or shall I concede defeat and eat lager sorbet for the next couple of weeks?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Swaziland

Post #2 made 12 years ago
Lager should be fine after it thaws, shouldn't need to add anything to it. My condolences on the lost of your little yeast buddies.
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 12 years ago
Good Day, I have frozen yeast, it stays down until you warm it, and if it is not wet it will be good.
If it was wet, some of it will be crushed, but will make a good starter.

The Lager Sorbet will thaw, and if it was corbonaterd, it may lose some, but, only if the lager was open to lose pressure.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 12 years ago
I'd be letting the lager thaw and skimming the ice from the top, say the last 20mm to thaw, for an "ice filtered Lager".

The hops will be fine and keep the yeast and see what happens. No point throwing anything away until you know it's no good.
Last edited by hashie on 05 May 2012, 05:24, edited 3 times in total.
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #6 made 12 years ago
Hi All
Thanks for the advice, suggestions and condolences! I've unfortunately already disposed of the yeast - it's now the second time that I'm doing something (stupid) before I post on here to get proper advice. hopefully I've learned my lesson.

As to the lager - I just left it to defrost - I don't want to risk an infection by removing some of the ice. My previous attempt at a lager ended with infected/plastic tainted beer and that was after the 2 week fermentation & 4 week lagering! I'm rather desperate to get it right the second time around.
Also, I don't have any kegs so I cannot force carbonate. I'm therefore dependant of the yeast to carbonate the beer. I'm still thinking of either adding a small amount of weak beer to the lager or just to sprinkle some dried yeast (I've brewed the beer using the Brewferm Lager yeast, and I've got another packet available) in the beer prior to bottling...

Post #7 made 12 years ago
If you use a bottling bucket just make sure you pick up a bit (and only a bit)of sediment from the bottom of your conditioning bucket and you will be fine.

Another way is to seed each bottle with a grain of dried yeast prior to filling.
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8 made 12 years ago
Yeasty wrote:If you use a bottling bucket just make sure you pick up a bit (and only a bit)of sediment from the bottom of your conditioning bucket and you will be fine.

Another way is to seed each bottle with a grain of dried yeast prior to filling.
Hi Yeasty
I'm just not sure if the sediment/yeast is still viable after the freezing.

B
Last edited by lambert on 06 May 2012, 18:52, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Kegging”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 44 guests