Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter recipe

Post #1 made 3 years ago
Hello,
Near me is Waconia Brewing in Waconia, MN. They have a fantastic Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter. I'm trying to make a copy of that beer. I did contact the brewery and got a response from the brewer, who gave some tips.
I've come up with the following recipe and am wondering if it looks OK.
I do have a question about the spreadsheet. It shows "What you will use..." with lower amounts of grain and more hops than I made in the recipe from scratch. Why is that? Should I just follow my own recipe? Or use what BIABacus says to use?
Is it because I've altered numbers for evaporation because I use a steam condenser? Or because I adjusted a couple losses in section X? I can't figure out why there is a difference.
Maybe because I entered 11.25gal for following a recipe in section D? If I leave that blank and enter 24 for desired IBU, it then populates the grain "What you will use..." with those same low numbers.

Thanks.
BIABacus PR1.3U - Waconia Brewing Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter.xlsx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Electric BIAB brewer. Homemade CraftbeerPi controller.
25gal kettle. 15gal Plastic Conical Fermenter with temp control
Having fun.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Re: Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter recipe

Post #2 made 3 years ago
Hello @BMWFan,

Let me take a crack at it...

Alterations:
First, the altered numbers for evaporation and the other volume alterations - we normally do not do this. I never have. And I understand that you use a steam condenser that affects this (don't have time at the moment to research that right now...). In short - Deleting your modifications will show you what sort of effect it has. Playing with it, by deleting your first two alterations in Section X, it actually decreases the amount of grain needed even more...

Original Grain Bill vs. What You Will Use:
The Original Grain Bill area is where you put the recipe, or put in what you are designing. If putting in someone else's recipe you would do it like you did, with exact amounts of each, the recipe's OG at the top of Section C, and VAW volume in Section D.

As a Short-Cut: When building my own recipe I normally put in the percentages of each malt being used, with the total equal to 100 in your "Grams/Ratios" fields, but the result will be the same. I find this a little easier. The BIABacus will tell you how much to use. And doing this - you do not need to put the recipe's VAW in, just your desired VIF (Volume Into Fermenter)

The BIABacus uses the malt weights along with volume of your system and planned brew plus OG (original gravity), plus the expected efficiency of full volume BIAB to tell you how much malt you should use. I would use the BIABacus file's recommended amounts. The research that Pat Hollingdale did when engineering this file is immense, and the forecast amounts of grain and hops always comes close to perfect for me.

Note:
Sections N, O, Q, R are normally filled out through the brewing process when you have the numbers. No way you will know the results before brewing. And these are helpful to use as "check points" to tell you if you are off course.

Conclusion:
Go with BIABacus file recommendations, provided you are comfortable with your alterations. If you go with the grain amounts recommended by the pro-brewer, I think your OG will be super high, provided your boil kettle can fit the entire volume. Resulting alcohol content will likely be high as well provided the yeast ferments it completely.

Best of Luck, and let us know what you did and how it turns out!
:luck:
Scott
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 3 years ago
Hello Scott,
Thanks for the reply.
I started over and entered percentages like you suggested. It still didn't scale up to using 10lb like I originally wanted, but I suppose this is BIABacus telling me my recipe doesn't fit my brew system, right?
Here's what I came up with the 2nd time:
The numbers appear a little different, but not much.
BIABacus PR1.3U - 2nd Try Waconia Brewing Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter.xlsx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BMWFan on 31 Aug 2020, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.
Having fun.

Post #4 made 3 years ago
Hi @BMWFan -I don’t see an attachment.

The BIABacus File was telling you that you do not need the amount of grain you had in your initial plan. To produce a beer with your chosen OG, use less malt, the malt amounts it gave you.

The percentages are easier and more logical, in my estimation.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 3 years ago
Scott,
I had some Internet trouble and couldn't get the attachment added earlier. It's there now.
Your explanation makes sense I guess. The Recipe is like a rough draft and BIABacus does the final editing.
Thanks.
Having fun.

Return to “Creating Your Own Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 28 guests