Adding sugars to a recipe

Post #1 made 6 years ago
My last brew required 1 pound of dark candi sugar to be added 15 min. prior to flame out. I am confused as to where to input this in Biabacus and am getting ready for the next brew which calls for the addition of honey at flame out.

I have acquired a new kettle and plan on the attached recipe (Raging Irish Red) being the first brew in that kettle. The recipe calls for the addition of 1 pound of honey at flame out. I have the following questions I'm seeking clarity on:

1. Does the honey or in the prior recipe, the dark candi sugar, get added to Section C, "The Original Fermentable Bill Design"?
2. If added to Section C, there is no provision for adding at flame out. Leaving the "method" column blank defaults to it being in the mash. Steeped & Adding to the Boil are the only other options. (I chose Boil in the attached recipe)
3. In Section C, it states that if the fermentable bill contains extract or fermentable sugars, go to Section Y. Can someone clarify how Section Y is used?
4. With additional sugars such as honey or dark candi sugar, are there adjustments to be made in the Section Y "FGDB" "MC" cells?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Raging Irish Red - 15 gal kettle.xls
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Re: Adding sugars to a recipe

Post #2 made 6 years ago
Can you wait about another 12 hours [mention]Tomas[/mention] ?

The site has been playing up and so your question won't have been seen until now by most people. I can answer it in about 12 hours if that's okay?
Last edited by PistolPatch on 31 Jan 2018, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 6 years ago
I should have written 24 hours in my post above :roll:

Your BIABacus looks great. One thing, don't add the "%" symbol in Section C as for some reason, it's impossible to get rid of it.

1. Yep, honey does go there.

2. B as in "Boiled Only" is correct for adding it at flame-out. This gives the right calculations. To make it clearer though, you could write "Honey (0 mins)" or add a note in Section I.

3. Section Y is basically used for things like honey, sugar, extracts. Basically it's for fermentables that aren't malts. All malt bills tend to average out at around 4% water, 76.8% "sugar" and the rest as husk and other non-sugary stuff. The BIABacus assumes these numbers unless you specifically fill in Section Y. So...

4. We need Section Y to adjust for honey's extra "sugariness". The expressions FGDB and FGAI are hard to explain but let's keep it easy. Treat the FGDB column as meaning "pure sugar." So, if we look at your jar of honey or Google honey sugar content, you'll find that honey is about 82% "pure sugar" by weight. (Your jar may be a bit more or less.) All we need to do now is type in 82 for FGDB and 0 for MC. (We use 0 for moisture content in this scenario as the 82% is by weight and therefore already takes into account the moisture content. MC is used more for malts.)

So, I've attached your BIABacus to reflect that change.

I hope that gets you out of the woods and, once again, sorry for such a slow reply. Let me know if you have any questions.

:peace:
PP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pat on 31 Jan 2018, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #4 made 6 years ago
PP - thanks for the response and the timing is fine, as I have some addl equipment I'm waiting for, and other work to be done in the brewery before I can brew. I appreciate the thoroughness of your answers, as the honey addition this time and the dark candi sugar in the last brew were a bit confusing for me. The tip on Googling sugar content for honey is invaluable as well.

Thx
    • Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Creating Your Own Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 11 guests