help with Biabacus and stout recipie

Post #1 made 7 years ago
Hi all
Trying to plan my first (non kit) stout recipe and using biabacus for the first time. I'm aiming for a fairly basic stout somewhere around 5-6%.
Unfortunately my saucepan (and gas stove) aren't massive and this I think is causing some errors - probably my inputting errors.
I'm planning to mash 12 litres and then dunk sparge in 5 litres, making 17 litres in the boil, I'll then top up to 21 litres in the fermenter.
Firstly is this a stupid thing to do? And if not how do I reflect this in biabacus.
Any other thoughts or comments welcome as you can probably tell I'm fairly new to this.
Thanks in anticipation
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: help with Biabacus and stout recipie

Post #2 made 7 years ago
I made changes to your file.  You can now see that this recipe will not work based on your equipment.  You might be able to cut this recipe in half.
MS
Copy of BIABacus PR1.3T - Toyhouse - UnNamed Stout(MS).xls
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 7 years ago
Mad_Scientist wrote:I made changes to your file.  You can now see that this recipe will not work based on your equipment.  You might be able to cut this recipe in half.
MS
Thanks MS for your prompt response.
Please forgive me, I'm still learning about brewing and this is my first time using Biabacus but I'm struggling to to understand.
Surely with the method I set out earlier the mash volume would be less than the boil volume, this isn't reflected in the sheet you sent me. Is my terminology wrong? maybe I'm not explaining myself very well.
You may well be right that I need to scale down the volumes but I don't think the sheet you sent me represents what I'm planning.
I'd welcome the benefit of your knowledge and experience
Cheers

Post #4 made 7 years ago
toyhouse wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:I made changes to your file.  You can now see that this recipe will not work based on your equipment.  You might be able to cut this recipe in half.
MS
Thanks MS for your prompt response.
Please forgive me, I'm still learning about brewing and this is my first time using Biabacus but I'm struggling to to understand.
Surely with the method I set out earlier the mash volume would be less than the boil volume, this isn't reflected in the sheet you sent me. Is my terminology wrong? maybe I'm not explaining myself very well.
You may well be right that I need to scale down the volumes but I don't think the sheet you sent me represents what I'm planning.
I'd welcome the benefit of your knowledge and experience
Cheers
Does mash volume (in section K) include the volume of the grains?

Return to “Creating Your Own Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 30 guests