Getting Ready for My First BIAB - Holiday Ale

Post #1 made 7 years ago
*For starters, I found this recipe on Homebrewtalk.com*

I thought it looked like a tasty and doable recipe so I plugged it into the BIABacus to try to get a more precise recipe. I have very little brewing experience and I very well may be getting too excited too quickly (I tend to do that). I have listed the original recipe below and attached my BIABacus file that I made based on this recipe. I want to also give you my step by step plan and hopefully I can get some good feedback before I brew!

Yeast: Safale-05
Batch size: 5 gallons
OG: 1.077
FG: 1.015
IBU: 36
Boiling time: 60 minutes
Color: 17
Primary Fermentation: 3 weeks

Grains:
US 2-row malt 13lb 0oz (84.1%) In Mash/Steeped
UK Medium Crystal 8.00oz (3.2%) In Mash/Steeped
Belgian Special B 8.00oz (3.2)% In Mash/Steeped
German Wheat Malt 4.00oz (1.6%) In Mash/Steeped
US Chocolate Malt(350L) 3.20oz (1.3%) In Mash/Steeped
Sugar-Honey 1lb 0oz (6.5%) End of Boil

Hops
Centennial (9.4% AAU) 1.00oz Bagged whole hops 60 min
Centennial (9.4% AAU) 1.00oz Bagged whole hops 30 min
Centennial (9.4% AAU) 1.00oz Bagged whole hops 5 min

Other Ingredients
Irish Moss 0.01oz used in boil
Vanilla Beans 1
Orange Peel, Bitter 1Tbs
Cinnamon Stick 1
Ginger Root 1Tbs

Single Step Infusion (67C/152F)

Recipe Notes
Make a tea prior to bottling by boiling a quart of the beer with the above spices and priming sugar for about a minute to combine. Add mixture to a french press and let sit for 155 minutes. Then add to bottling bucket.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1: Bring 8 gallons of strike water to 154F
Step 2: Dough in all grains and let soak for 90 minutes (based on The Commentary)
Step 3: Do iodine test and pull bag if clear
Step 4: Bring to a boil
Step 5: Add 60 minute hops
[Add Whirfloc now?]
Step 6: Add 30 minute hops
[Insert immersion chiller to sanitize]
Step 7: Add 5 minute hops
Step 8: Flame out
Step 9: Stir in honey
Step 10: Place kettle in ice bath and turn on water for immersion chiller, bring down to 70F
Step 11: Transfer to fermentor and aerate, add rehydrated yeast (1 package safale-05)
Step 12: Let sit in 65F fermentation chamber for 30 days
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 7 years ago
shader, I don't know where the others who usually comment on posted files are today. I see that your BIABacus file has grain and hops weights on the right side of sections C & D that are different from the text form of your recipe. The Total Water Needed (TWN) differs by a small amount, too. Why? 3.5% difference in 2-Row seems like more than a rounding error. Hops in Section D has a column (left and right) for the form of the hops you will use - blank means pellets and your text file shows whole hops. A blank in Section G for hopsock used? means NO, so you will get a lot of solids at the bottom of the kettle from the whole hops.
Maybe that's picky on my part, but those are differences to me. :scratch:
More importantly, Section E shows your grain is really hot going into the mash. I also see that you intend to mash for 60 minutes instead of the recommended 90 minutes. That will give beer, but note that Section P shows a predicted 58% efficiency. If you switch to 90 minute mash, see what happens. Also, search for use of honey in the forum, and if it goes into the kettle at EOB/FO, it can just go in Section C. That 20% figure in Section Y will then have to be changed, too.
Your ingredients look like a good batch of stuff, but I doubt that your 1.077 OG and Tinseth IBU of 36 will result in the beer you get from your procedure as written.
Make some changes to the BIABacus. See what happens - perhaps you can get things to match the weights you already have on hand. Post again before you brew, please.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 7 years ago
What ShorePoints said plus...

I would..
remove S for steeped

add B for boil for the honey (that will change your start-up water because it doesn't take in consideration for grain absorption)

remove efficiency # in Section X (let BIABacus auto-adjust this)

go with a 90 mins. mash

keep us posted :party:

Post #5 made 7 years ago
Ok, So I have made some adjustments to the recipe.
The temperature of the grains was crazy high so I lowered that. I removed "S" next to my grains. Added a checklist for myself (which I need to double check against The Commentary). I removed the efficiency # in Section X. Changed to 90 minute mash and 90 minute boil as recommended. While I was adapting the recipe I decided to go with % rather than a unit of measurement for the grain bill and I had to do a bit of fiddling to get the percentages to match. Then I think I scaled the recipe to fit my kettle. The honey is supposed to be stirred in at EOB and I searched the forum to find the numbers for Section Y. Should I change that? Also my hop additions are based on the 36 IBU whereas the recipe uses round numbers (which would be slightly easier).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #8 made 7 years ago
Ok, I literally could not wait until Sunday and I ended up brewing on Saturday. This was my first attempt at BIAB and my second brew ever. I am certain that I will get faster as I streamline my brewday process, but it took a little over 5 hours from start to finish. I am very glad I took the time to create a checklist before hand as I found that to be very useful. I we very careful to measure the appropriate amount of strike water and then lit the flame. Before too long I had actually overshot my strike temperature by a few degrees and had to drain and replace a quart of water so that I could get it right. Once I had gotten close enough (goal was 154, actual was a hair low) I added my grains which brought the temperature down to 148. I added heat to bring the mash up to 151.8, which was still a little low. While the grains were steeping I occasionally stirred and checked the temperature, added heat as needed. Once the mash was done I lifted the bag partially and did a mash out to 174F. Then I lifted the bag fully and squeezed it as much as I could and then set it aside in a spare pot to collect a bit more juice to be added back during the boil. Then it was time to start the 90 minute boil. The hot break on this batch was much more significant than what I experienced with extract but I was able to prevent it from going over the edge. Hop additions were added at 60,30, and 5 minutes. 1/2 tablet of whirlfloc was also added at 5 minutes. I added the honey at flameout and took a gravity reading. My pre-boil gravity was a hair low at 1.052, which I was happy with, but the gravity after the boil was 1.62 which initially I thought was terrible but then I adjusted for temperature and it was 1.077 (perfect). I cooled my wort with an immersion chiller and an ice bath, and pitched my (rehydrated) yeast at 82F. After about 12 hours I was worried that there was no evidence of fermentation but I just kept waiting. By about 18 hours there was a thin layer of krausen, and then it took off and now looks totally healthy and happy. Now to wait for one month before bottling. Thanks again for your help!

Post #9 made 7 years ago
Congratulations, shader, you did it. :salute: You will get beer.
It sounds like your checklist worked out - whatever it takes to make for a smooth process on brew day is a good thing. Two things I might mention are: pitching yeast at 82 ºF (28ºC) is pretty high - below 70 ºF (21 ºC) is most often recommended, and Specific Gravity readings should be done at the same temperature that your hydrometer is calibrated for - temperature adjustment tables/formulas are not very trustworthy. You can pull a sample for SpG reading and measure it later, when it has cooled. That said, remember that beer was brewed in Egypt long ago where the temperature probably never went below 82 ºF and if you do not tinker with Specific Gravity by dilutions or additions, what you measure is what you are going to call OG and as long as you measure FG the same way, you will be close enough to get a meaningful % ABV later.
Keep up the good work. :drink:

Return to “Creating Your Own Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 14 guests