Best Bitter in TT Landlord style

Post #1 made 13 years ago
I've worked on this recipe for ages, now taking it back a notch from ESB to to Best/ Special Bitter for closing in on BJCP competition style guidelines (8.2).

Happy to hear any suggestions! :D

Code: Select all

StrangeBrew J v.2.0.1 recipe text output

Details:
Name: Best Bitter in TTL style
Brewer: Ralph
Size: 25.0 litres
Style: Special/Best/Premium Bitter
OG: 1.047,	FG:1.010, 	Alc:4.8, 	IBU:25.1
(Alc method: by Volume; IBU method: Tinseth)

Yeast: Wyeast 1469PC West Yorkshire

Fermentables:
Name                           amount units  pppg    lov   %
Bairds Golden Promise            4.00    kg 1.038    2.0  90.5%
British Cara-Malt                0.10    kg 1.035   10.0   2.3%
German Cara-Aroma                0.10    kg 1.035  130.0   2.3%
White Cane Sugar (Gran)          0.22    kg 1.042    0.0   5.0%

Hops:
Name                 amount units  Alpha    Min   IBU
Fuggles               32.00     g    4.2   90.0  15.2
E. Kent Goldings      28.00     g    5.9   20.0   9.8
Bobek                 13.00     g    5.9    0.0   0.0
Aurora                10.00     g    9.0    0.0   0.0
Last edited by Ralph on 30 Aug 2010, 06:45, edited 5 times in total.
[center]Give me a beer and I will move the world. Archimedes[/center]

Post #3 made 13 years ago
Yeah, good call that Eoin! I'm fairly averse to just throwing in a bit of this and a bit of that in just because nearly every ESB recipe ever published has that cornucopia of spec malts. I've tried Melanoidin, Aromatic, Brown, various Crystals, various Munichs, just about Cara-everything and so on, but not Amber malt however a sprinkle of it clicks for me. Ta!

Post #5 made 13 years ago
Serendipity- don't you love it! :P

I meant to mention, the mash for the recipe above is a single infusion at 64C, then mashout/ dunk sparge in the MaxiBIAB style (ob plug!).
8g gypsum and 10g of '5.2' mash stabiliser in my rainwater, but one day I'll do the sums on that for 'proper' water profiling, once I get my hands on the chemistry for '5.2' that is! It seems good enough like that, I always wonder if there's enough calcium though.
Last edited by Ralph on 06 Sep 2010, 21:29, edited 5 times in total.

Post #6 made 13 years ago
Here's today's variant of this recipe which I am brewing directly. Now that the competitive brewing is out of the way, I can brew what I really want for myself! :P
Will be using 1768PC which is Wyeast's ESB and I really dig for generous maltiness, interesting esters and flavour. A hint of diacetyl I wouldn't mind, but not absolutely necessary and I have a whole yeastcake ready from yesterday's bottling so will probably use just half of it.
The usual salts, so just some extra gypsum, I'm also skipping the 5.2 as an experiment. I'll mash it as a single infusion at around 64C, 1768 can leave some residual sweetness, so I wouldn't go any higher, plus I've reduced the spec malts by 20%, along the same lines. It can get fiddly trying to balance it just right at this end of the spectrum, be prepared to try a few different rates and mash temps to suit your own taste, my preference is for quite a dry UK Bitter with a corresponding low bitterness* but with a large late kettle addition of Styrian Goldings, that gets us all drooling, no?! :D
Two hour boil all up, I find this is great for UK Bitters, lends that slight caramelised character which is actually quite complex, also gives excellent clarity, but I'll rotate the stockpot a few times in case of hot spots scalding on its very thin base.
EoinMag, I might try the amber malt in the next batch, there will be lots of opportunities- this is my house ale!

:cool:

* Nb. The "Bitter" in UK Bitter, Extra Special Bitter, Best Bitter etc is not describing a high level of bittering at all, they are generally 20-40IBU, so just low to moderate bittering. I aim around 0.6 Bu:Gu ratio (so for this one it is 26/46=0.57), although you do need to consider the mashing temperature in this, if it was high mashed I'd increase the bittering slightly.

Code: Select all

StrangeBrew J v.2.0.1 recipe text output

Details:
Name: Best Bitter in Carol style
Brewer: Ralph
Size: 25.0 litres
Style: Special/Best/Premium Bitter
OG: 1.046,	FG:1.012, 	Alc:4.5, 	IBU:25.9
(Alc method: by Volume; IBU method: Tinseth)

Yeast: Wyeast 1768PC English Special Bitter

Fermentables:
Name                           amount units  pppg    lov   %
Bairds Golden Promise            4.00    kg 1.038    2.0  91.3%
British Cara-Malt                0.08    kg 1.035   10.0   1.8%
German Cara-Aroma                0.08    kg 1.035  130.0   1.8%
White Cane Sugar (Gran)          0.22    kg 1.042    0.0   5.0%

Hops:
Name                 amount units  Alpha    Min   IBU
Fuggles               35.00     g    4.2  100.0  16.3
E. Kent Goldings      28.00     g    5.9   20.0   9.5
Styrian Golding       30.00     g    5.9    0.0   0.0
Last edited by Ralph on 03 Oct 2010, 08:19, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Creating Your Own Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 8 guests