My First Attempt at Creating a Recipe: 3 2 1 APA

Post #1 made 9 years ago
G'Day Mates,

I have attached my 1st attempt at creating a recipe, called 3 2 1 APA. Please have a look and let me know if it has integrity. I was trying not to copy any other recipe but it was kinda hard as there are so many APAs out there already. In particular, does the hop schedule make any sense at all?

Thanks,
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #2 made 9 years ago
Looks like a fine recipe. I think the word 'integrity' is mostly used around here when trying to clone somebody else's recipe, so when you are designing your own it doesn't really apply. The fact that you have posed your BIABacus file tho means that somebody else could probably clone it with fairly high integrity on their own equipment. This is why I prefer to create my own recipes, if it doesn't turn out I can't blame a lack of recipe integrity, instead I can work to tweak and improve, and repeat.

It looks good to me, brew it, taste it, improve it, repeat!!! (and keep us posted)
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #4 made 8 years ago
Well, I think my first original recipe was success. It has the balance between malt and hops that I aiming for in an APA, and pretty good head retention provided by the wheat. The Nelson Sauvin and Citra hops combine to make a 'fruity' beer that is quite drinkable here in the SoFL summer. The brew obtained a 1.53 OG and a 1.002 FG with a resultant 6.8% ABV. As this was a success in IMHO, I've rechristened it Stormy Sundae APA as there was a huge storm when I brewed it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re:

Post #6 made 8 years ago
goulaigan wrote:Wow that looks great! Is it dry? That is quite a low FG... What kind of yeast did you use?
Hi goulaigan - It's on the dry side but not overly so. I used Safale US-05 - the BIABacus is attached to the initial post to this thread.
Last edited by shetc on 19 Jul 2015, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.

Post #7 made 8 years ago
Sorry I didn't check the file, just quickly read the post. Never had s05 bring a beer that low, altho I don't usually mash below 65 so maybe thats why. In any case it looks like a great beer, making me thirsty with that pic :)
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Return to “Creating Your Own Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 11 guests