When to add specialty grains

Post #1 made 7 years ago
Hi there,

Tomorrow I'm brewing a Schwartz beer and my friend recommended adding the specialty grains (carafa I, roasted barley, chocolate) in the last 30mins of the 90min mash. He says adding them to early I risk getting a sour taste from the roasted husks, in the finished beer.

He recommended bring the mash temp to 70 and then adding them for 30mins. Any thoughts?

(Btw his schwartz beer won gold at the nationals ​last year)

The last Schwartz beer I made did turn out sour but I think it was an infection because I fermented in two separate vessels (I brew 50lt batches), and only one had an​ off​ flavour. The other one was delicious.

Cheers
Last edited by jube on 05 Apr 2017, 04:39, edited 2 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From New Zealand

Re: When to add specialty grains

Post #2 made 7 years ago
Hi Jube,

I've done it both ways... Normally I toss in the specialty grains (Steeping Grains?) at the start and they stay in the whole time. If concerned about too much bitterness and you want 30 minutes contact only, then add last 30 minutes of mash like your buddy suggested. Sounds like solid advice for that situation.
Last edited by Scott on 05 Apr 2017, 22:44, edited 2 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 7 years ago
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply. Just finished brewing and beer safely in fermenter. Now time for my friend's other beer - a delicious wheat stout.

Ended up adding roasted malts in the last half hour, I still hit the expected gravity but ended up with about an 5 extra litres than I expected - I hope it doesn't blow out the airlock. The wort tastes good but doesn't have that much aroma - mind you I have a cold so that could be why - a friend visiting said he could smell the wort in the street.

Also, added another tool to my kit - an Ikea battery powered capucino mixer thingimajig - ideal for mixing and aerating the starter yeast - you can whip it up frothy like a capucino.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From New Zealand

Post #4 made 7 years ago
Are you using the BIABacus file? Was your OG what you expected, or low with your too many liters at the end of the boil? All of this is generally inter-related. If tracking numbers in a BIABacus file, it's normally pretty easy to see where things went south, if they did.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Return to “From Mash to Lauter (Water to Sweet Liquor)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 8 guests