Adding specialty grains to the mash

Post #1 made 7 years ago
Hi,

I'm pretty sure this has been asked before but here goes. My water is quite alkaline.
I was thinking (before I try all grain) about trying a partial mash with extract , base malt, and crystal.
I am aware the crystal just needs to be steeped not mashed but...
I think the crystal will have a tendency to bring the ph of the mash down and that is what I want to do.
Does it make sense to add the crystal to the base malt and steep/mash it together? I have a ph meter that I can check the ph with.

Thks in advance.

Jonathan

Post #2 made 7 years ago
I'm pretty sure this has been asked before but here goes. My water is quite alkaline.
I was thinking (before I try all grain) about trying a partial mash with extract , base malt, and crystal.
I am aware the crystal just needs to be steeped not mashed but...
I think the crystal will have a tendency to bring the ph of the mash down and that is what I want to do.
Does it make sense to add the crystal to the base malt and steep/mash it together? I have a ph meter that I can check the ph with.

further thoughts/thread:

http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?t=246

Post #3 made 7 years ago
I have always put all the grains in at once. If you use a water spreadsheet such as bru'n water it will take into account the crystal and tell you what you have.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Return to “From Mash to Lauter (Water to Sweet Liquor)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 7 guests