Post #2 made 9 years ago
You can take it any time after you have done all of your squeezing and water additions and before the boil starts. Just cool the wort in the fridge or use a hydro/temperature adjusting calculator. Or you can rattle PP's chain and just use a refractometer!!
AWOL

Post #3 made 9 years ago
OK, thanks! I've been drooling over those refractometers, they seem to make things easier?
"The rules for making hop additions during the boil are about as well defined as those for a knife fight." -Stan Hieronymus

Post #4 made 9 years ago
onkeltuka wrote:OK, thanks! I've been drooling over those refractometers, they seem to make things easier?
Before you do, have a read of this.

I still use mine, and do prefer it to a hydro, but you do have to be aware of some of their pitfalls.
Last edited by mally on 21 Sep 2014, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #6 made 9 years ago
Lylo wrote:Or you can rattle PP's chain and just use a refractometer!!
:angry:

:P

Another thing to remember is that 'Gravity into Boil (GIB)' should always be coupled with a 'Volume into Boil (VIB)' measurement as what we really want to get from these two numbers is a pre-check on our kettle efficiency. VIB and GIB are hard numbers to measure so we can't give them too much weight. All they can do is act as a pre-check, our first kettle efficiency reading.

Anyone who has tried to take a Volume into Boil measurement knows it is hard to measure. You can turn off the flame but there is still swelling, rumbling etc carrying on at that stage.

Gravity into Boil measurements also have similar problems. For example, if you took it at mash temperature and had a crappy burner, there might be a lot of evaporation occurring between mashing out and reaching boiling point so your reading might be lower than if you took it when the boil started. Then again, if you take it at the start of boil and are using a hydrometer, you'll need to cover the sample to prevent evaporation whilst it cools.

Don't be too pedantic on this one. It is just a pre-check.

:peace:
Last edited by PistolPatch on 21 Sep 2014, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “From Mash to Lauter (Water to Sweet Liquor)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 12 guests