Hop freshness

Post #1 made 9 years ago
It's currently Craft Beer Week where I am in Sydney, AUS. A few nights a go I went to an event/talk about hop freshness.

We were given a test: the same beer (a BrewCult "Hop Zone" IPA) at 1 week old, 5 weeks old and 60 weeks old (we were not told which was which until we guessed the order of freshness) - basically to note how the hop character changes over time (and how much better it is fresh).

The brewer of that beer is advocating drinking beer as soon as possible after it comes out of a fermenter. (I wonder if this applies to the more malt-forward beers?)

I could really see the difference between all 3 samples, and particularly the oldest sample, and particularly when it came to aroma and flavour. Fresher was definitely better!

(as an aside the 5-week old beer also had noticeable diacetyl, so we got a bonus fault tasting of that even though the brewer was quite embarrassed by it).

We were also given another tasting challenge, with 2 Heinekens. 1 was deliberately light struck, 1 not light struck. We were asked which was which. Half the room got it right, and half wrong (including me :blush: ). It was a real eye-opener for me how much light struck beer I've drunk over the years assuming that's how it should taste. For example, pretty much all the Becks I can buy around here is light struck, so over the years I'd forgotten what real Becks tastes like and, sadly, came to believe that skunky/perfumey character was a trait of Becks.
Last edited by kaiserben on 26 Oct 2014, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.

Post #2 made 9 years ago
Kaiser, If you double bag or use a vacuum bagging system to remove almost all the Air from a bag of hops, you can freeze the Hops for a VERY long time.

Hops lose their properties from Oxygen, and Heat.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 9 years ago
Yeah - the talk was more about hops after it's been put in a beer.

And (according to the brewer who did the talk) the things that degrade the hop freshness, as well as oxygen & heat are light & time.

Post #4 made 9 years ago
Kaiser, The bottled and Conditioned beer likes to be stored near 35F/02C for it's Entire Life.

People treat it like wine, But, Beer does not get much better with Aging.

If it stays warm for more than 2 Months, forget it.
If it stays in the Bottle under Florescent lighting, forget it.
Store beer with the mushrooms, Cool and Dark.

IMHO, that is.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #5 made 9 years ago
This is an excellent thread kaiserben :salute:,

It's hard to come up with the correct topic title for this one. 'Hop freshness,' is a bit vague as joshua found. I'm hard pressed to think of a good title on the spot but when you do, just edit your first post and change the subject. This will change the topic title.

Love the Heineken test. Very true!

A few weeks ago, a few of us tasted some beers we brewed over a year ago but had kept in the fridge. All were excellent and none of us noticed any 'hop freshness' deterioration so if you can manage to keep them in the fridge, great! I wonder if this brewer had kept them refrigerated?
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #6 made 9 years ago
Kaiser, Josh, PP I keep my beers in the coolest bedroom in the house, in the dark (covered with a towel to keep the light out ) and I will say this....after about 3 months I can definitely taste a difference in the beer . Blondes seem to be worse than darker brews. My Bud Lime (not really a clone ) has a stronger lime taste at 3 mo than at 6 weeks.

Post #7 made 9 years ago
I really liked James Squire Hop Theif 6 apa. It was made last year I think so if you buy it now it has lost most of its aroma and flavour and not worth drinking really. Makes you wonder about how they store beers in shops. Dan Murphys has alot of there beer not in the fridge.
I got 2 bottles of 2013 trapist beer for my birthday. Should I be storing them in the fridge? I have them in a dark cupboard atm.
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #8 made 9 years ago
Nosco, trapist Ithink is better stored at room temp if I remember correctly. Been awhile since I looked it up.

J

Post #9 made 9 years ago
Thanks J. I thougth that wqas the case but got a bit worried lol.
Sorry for hijacking your post kaiser.
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Return to “Beer Appreciation (incl. Fault Identification)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 5 guests