Tales of oxidisation?

Post #1 made 10 years ago
Since BIAB brewers, or no chill brewers at least, seem to be questioning what we know about oxidisation of hot wort etc...

Do any of you have specific stories about oxidised beers, and the resulting off flavours/aromas? Care to speculate about what might have caused the oxidisation?

I know Bob Stempski has done some great blind tasting experiments of wort left in the cube for a long time. Hear the results as a podcast over at Basic Brewing Radio...

JP describes faults from oxidisation as wet cardboard or sherry-like flavours, resulting in wort above 80'F (26'C). I'm sure you all know that magic number.

Cheers! :drink:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Post #2 made 10 years ago
Dski,
Care to speculate about what might have caused the oxidization?
There is no speculation. Providing,(mixing) oxygen to hot wort will cause it. Careful wort handling will provide ample protection from oxidization. No problems for BIAB or No-chill.
Last edited by BobBrews on 30 Dec 2013, 09:24, edited 2 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 10 years ago
By speculation of causes I meant for example...

I squeeze out the grain bag a bit which seems to be standard practice, but does this noticeably effect flavour. I do keep the bag close to the worth as I squeeze. My other concern is the drippings from the hop bag. None of these factors were issues with my pre-BIAB set up. As far as I can tell, oxidisation for these sources is negligible.

Airspace in the cube alone does not seem to be a factor from what I have heard from others.

I'm just wondering if people had made a beer, and went "woah, that tastes like cardboard, it must have been all that vigorous stirring of the hot wort."

Post #4 made 10 years ago
Dski,

You are over thinking this. "Needless worry is interest paid on a bill that never comes". Normal brewing practice does not cause oxidation. Just brew and enjoy. If you have a beer that is "off putting" then tell your friends that it is a exotic beer that the rich people drink and that it is an acquired taste. They won't admit that it tastes funny because they don't want to be considered unsophisticated.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #5 made 10 years ago
I think you can worry too much, but you can never think too much. Just considering some critical points in the brewing process... Thought some anecdotes might help.

Most of my mates are not phased by beer wankery, which is in over supply in this city currently. Though, if I do have a really dodgy batch, I might try and sell it for 30 bucks a thimble and see how I go!

Cheers BB.

Post #6 made 10 years ago
Who is this Bob Stempski guy?

(Hey BB, I thought your taste buds were useless from years of drinking that black IPA!)

---Todd
WWBBD?

Post #7 made 10 years ago
thughes wrote:Who is this Bob Stempski guy?
I don't know, but if he doesn't know what he's talking about, I don't even care, I could listen to his podcasts all day.
Last edited by Dski on 31 Dec 2013, 08:12, edited 2 times in total.

Post #9 made 10 years ago
Dski wrote:Airspace in the cube alone does not seem to be a factor from what I have heard from others.
I'd be very worried about that. It might be okay if you are going to pitch the next day (maybe) but some of my cubes are kept for over a year. No way I would do that if there was any air in the cube.

Always be careful what you hear from others. Nearly always they leave out critical information. In this case, it might be they fail to mention that they always pitch the next day. Another factor to consider is that some people cannot taste certain faults. There's some faults I can't taste that others can and vice versa. So, some people may have a problem that they don't even know about.

:interesting:
Last edited by PistolPatch on 02 Jan 2014, 18:09, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #10 made 10 years ago
Thanks PP, more sagely advice.

It's early days with my BIAB system, but I'm keen to iron out the kinks, and settle into my own "best practice" procedure again. Not that it's ever fixed in stone...

Cheers.

Post #11 made 10 years ago
All,

Yes, My sense of smell is still damaged. 80% of taste comes from smell. I don't smell very good. (you can ask anyone! They all say I don't smell very good) But I was in a bar (imagine that!) and the craft brewer who runs it sold me a infected beer! He was selling it calling it "Chicken Feet" The flavor could be described as mediciney. (Band Aid)? So I will never go back there again. He would rather sell infected beer to customers than simply dump it out and live with it.

The point is (finally a point to this drivel) I tasted it! I even pulled the band aid smell from it. So there is hope yet that I will recover my sense of smell! It was a about a year I fell on the ice and was knocked unconscious. I haven't smelled very good since then and my wife and friends all want me to smell better! At least that's what they always say? :think:
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #12 made 10 years ago
Hey BB, terrible news about your fall on the ice - that's one thing we never have to worry about in Brisbane. 41'C here today.

That reminds me of the old joke about the dog with no nose...

All the best with your smelly recuperation mate.

Post #13 made 10 years ago
Dski,

41C That's mid-summer temps here. On Sunday and Monday the nighttime temps will be about -34C The daytime will high's will be -26C. I am not a fan of the cold. 41C might be just what I need? Send some heat over (slowly) so the ice melt won't drown us. Keep brewing!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Return to “Beer Appreciation (incl. Fault Identification)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 11 guests