WTF.... Infection again

Post #1 made 12 years ago
Guys,

I have just copped my third infectin in 3 brews. Total bummer and waste of money. I did everything as normal, cleaned and sanitised with Starsan then No chilled into cubes. Left them for a couple of weeks then noticed that they started to swell, major stink, almost like tomato sauce. Do you think i have left the no chill too long???

Post #2 made 12 years ago
Hi Adrian,
Three in a row...every brewers worst nightmare :? !!
There should be no problem storing your cubes for that period of time if your processes are sound.
I'd probably chuck the cubes out and get some fresh ones.
If you give some details on here of your cleaning/cubing process, I'm sure you will get plenty of good advice.
Cheers,
Jake.

Post #3 made 12 years ago
Wow, sounds like you have some nasties hiding somewhere. You might want to provide information about your equipment also.
You will definitely get help here.
Fermenting:

Bottle Conditioning

Up Next:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 12 years ago
Good Day Adrian,
To me it sounds like your cubes might have leaked air in to lose vacuum, and sucked in Vinegar yeast/Bacteria. Maybe the cap is bad or the seal is bad.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 12 years ago
How are you racking to cubes? Ball-valve?
rockbotton wrote:Wow, sounds like you have some nasties hiding somewhere. You might want to provide information about your equipment also.
You will definitely get help here.
+1. Info on on anything that touches wort post-boil would be helpful.
Last edited by BrickBrewHaus on 15 Apr 2012, 23:39, edited 3 times in total.

Post #7 made 12 years ago
I'd suggest there is a flaw in your process :/

Let's work it out :)
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #8 made 12 years ago
Well, we can narrow it down to something that touches the wort between flameout and the cube (including the cube itself). I empathize completely, I lost only one batch in a cube and was completely devastated, made me very gun-shy to try it again.

In my case the culprit was cracking the cube open to pull off a quart to make a starter with after the cube had already cooled....must have sucked some bad air into the cube when I did that. Just to be safe, I tossed the cube and everything that touches the wort after flameout (which in my case was just the hose I drained the kettle with and my funnel...better safe than sorry).

I hope you get this thing beat and get back to making some successful batches.
WWBBD?

Post #9 made 12 years ago
Good Day, A tip from Wine makers, who never can boil the juice.

One Campden tablet in the Cube will stop infections.

Just be sure to fully aireate the wort before pitching.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #10 made 12 years ago
Hi Guys

thanks for all the help so far.

I think I may have narrowed the problem down to a leaking cube that seems to be sucking some air. When i rack from keg to cube from ball valve I use silicone hose that has been soaked in napisan type of soaker and hit with starsan so this is all I can think of. Appreciate your help guys. Ditched the cube for a new start. One thing I have found out, that it sure beats K + K.

Post #11 made 12 years ago
Always make sure, even if no-chilling, that you 'smell' your kettle ball-valve. Put your hose on the ball-valve and put the other end up your nose. Open and shut the ball-valve a few times and if you smell anything dodgy, you really need to pull that ball-valve apart.

Think of it as a 'pre-flight' check.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

WTF.... Infection again

Post #12 made 12 years ago
I pull my ball valve, weldless thermometer and pick up tube off the pot and clean them after every brew. I never used to but you'd be surprised where things can hide.
I also,After decanting the wort into fermenter and kicking it off. Soak the cube straight away immediately.
I tend/try not to drink much while brewing as the clean up is a pain in the ass after a few beers.
Another is always use hot water with napisan if you don't already.

Post #13 made 12 years ago
Kingy wrote:I pull my ball valve, weldless thermometer and pick up tube off the pot and clean them after every brew. I never used to but you'd be surprised where things can hide.
I also,After decanting the wort into fermenter and kicking it off. Soak the cube straight away immediately.
I tend/try not to drink much while brewing as the clean up is a pain in the ass after a few beers.
Another is always use hot water with napisan if you don't already.
I've recently taken to rinsing my cube immediately, then leaving a litre of hot water in and chucking a camden tablet in. Cap, shake. Leave.

Come back x months later to a 'clean' cube. Rinse, sanitize and refill.

Seems to be working for me.

The trick is to rinse and pop the tablet in IMMEDIATELY!!!
Last edited by stux on 18 Apr 2012, 16:37, edited 3 times in total.
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Return to “Beer Appreciation (incl. Fault Identification)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 15 guests