Carbonation Problem (or lack of) in a BIG beer

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Hi all,
I brewed a big IPA using US-05, I hand wrote the recipe on the fly and was planning a 90 min boil where I would add hops every 5 mins, this should of given me a nice 8-9% hoppy IPA.

This was my second brew of the day and I drank my way through the first one so writing a recipe for the second without using the calculator was probably not the best idea, looking back at it now I realise my mistake. I worked out that 200 grams of hops over 90 mins was 5 grams every 5 mins with 10 grams FWH and 10 in the cube. Many beers later and 3 hours in to the boil I realised my error :idiot:

Now as it was 2am by this point and I'd been drinking all day instead of being sensible and adding water to bring the gravity down a bit I thought this could be a great beer so I stuck it in the cube. The next day I put it in the carboy and added some US-05. It started at 1120 and finished at 1030 making it 11.9%. :argh: I bottled it adding dextrose to carbonate but 4 weeks on nothing. Tastes great but no carbonation. A bit of research suggests that the US-05 only works up to about 12% so I'm guessing that's my problem.

The beer is in swing tops so I was thinking of adding some fresh yeast to see if it helps but I have 2 concerns.
1) If I use US-05 again it will do nothing as its 12% already
2) If I use a yeast with a higher alcohol tolerance there is still plenty of sugars in there to make some great tasting bottle bombs

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 9 years ago
Thanks for the suggestion Joshua, I had thought of using something like that but was afraid of the yeast dropping another 20 points off the beer in the bottle and creating bottle bombs. I think I may have to pour it back into a fermenter and add some higher gravity yeast.

Do you know what effect a champaign yeast will have on beer? I think I remember hearing that all/most of the yeast flavour comes at the beginning of fermentation so it should have little to no impact on taste. I hope this is right.

Chris

Post #5 made 9 years ago
I do use corny kegs and will have a good read of that post but at first glance it looks like a lot of work for 1 batch of beer. I think I'll try the champaign yeast in a small batch. Not for a few days yet so I'll keep a look out on here and post results when I get them.

Thanks again Joshua

Post #6 made 9 years ago
Patience Grasshopper! I have had big Porters and Stouts take 8-12 weeks or more to carb up.

---Todd
Last edited by thughes on 19 Apr 2015, 06:28, edited 1 time in total.
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #7 made 8 years ago
Just a little update. I left the bottles ages to carb up by themselves (not through choice but through a very busy life) and they still had no life in them. I finally got the time to fill a 5L demijohn with some of the bottles and some of that yeast recommended by Joshua and it looks like it's doing the job. I was away for the weekend so didn't see it bubble but there is a nice yeast cake at the bottom so I'm assuming it has done the job. I'll check the gravity next weekend when I re-bottle it and keep the thread updated on it's progress. Thanks guys.

Return to “Bottling”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 7 guests