Carbonation in stronger ales ...

Post #1 made 11 years ago
I'm currently mashing a very rich, very hoppy wheat-ish porter, which is likely to be in the 7%+ ABV mark.

When priming bottles for higher alcohol beers, do you need to use more sugar or not?

(reason I ask is that the last porter I made which was close to 7% was quite flat out of the bottle. Not unpleasant or totally non-carbonated, just a bit like engine oil in a glass..)

Post #2 made 11 years ago
I have always followed standard carbonation guidelines but have seen some of my higher ABV dark beers take 1-2 months (or more) to become properly carbonated.

When you say "engine oil in a glass", do you mean a very thick mouthfeel? I suspect that you may have mashed at very high temps or your thermometer is off. I usually mash my porters @ 153-155F.Did you use a high percentage of unfermentables like dark crystal, roasted malts, chocolate malts, oats, etc?

Just throwing a few common causes out there......

---Todd
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 11 years ago
Gyro,

Don't let one brew rule the day. You don't normally expect a beer like yours to be highly carbonated? Follow the standard carbonation guidelines and let gravity and time do there thing! I am sure your sipper will be perfect!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!

Post #4 made 11 years ago
Thughes, it was an extract brew, and I think essentially it was probably too 'concentrated'.

Bob,I'm not basing my 'rules' on one brew, but was just curious. I normally brew in 15 litre batches and these days prime with 75-80g of brewing sugar boiled in 250ml water. This is a reasonable carbonation, but probably more than a standard ale and certainly a porter. (My last few brews have been a Wit Bier, a Rauchbier, and a malty ale fermented with lager yeast, so I wanted a bit more fizz than normal).

For this porter (OG of 1.080), I'd probably go for 60-70g sugar. I just didn't know that if it was richer and stronger whether any sugar/yeast combo had to work harder. I'm using Safbrew t-58 yeast, so I know it can cope with a pretty hefty ABV.

Cheers,
G

Post #5 made 11 years ago
"Gyro"
Bob,I'm not basing my 'rules' on one brew, but was just curious.
Curious Gyro,

If you use the same exact amount of sugar each and every time your carbonation will be exactly "different"?

Here is the thing! The density of the yeast may be different, amount of wort slightly different, the viability of the yeast is different, The temperature and it's rise and fall will be different, The yeast may be actually slightly different from the same manufacture. Nutrients may be lacking? The sugar may be measured wrong. Everything is slightly off (like me) so just do your best with established amounts and hope for the best!

99.9% of the time it works fine (unless you bring it to a brew club meeting with your mates) Those will always be a gusher! I am known for it! It never fails!

Beer is very forgiving. If only wives would be that forgiving? Relax and have a home brew!
Last edited by BobBrews on 02 Jul 2012, 02:44, edited 4 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!

Return to “Bottling”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 14 guests