is FG Correct

Post #1 made 6 years ago
I've brewed an Old Soldier Ale and the OG was 1.052
The FG Is 1.014
I've only taken one FG and will leave it in there until tomorrow and then take another reading

My question is:-
Is the FG at 1.014 OK
    • Over 20 Brews From Great Britain

Re: is FG Correct

Post #2 made 6 years ago
That should be fine Phillip however your plan to take a second reading is sensible (I'll give you another tip on this at the end of this post) because:

1. Hydrometers can be inaccurate (as can refractometers)
2. Samples can sometimes not reflect the gravity of the fermenter
3. Final gravity estimates from software are ball-park figures (yeast attenuation is affected by lots of factors)

One way to save taking several samples is to just take one after your fermentation activity settles down (say after 4 days). Then leave your hydrometer in your hydrometer jar and cover the whole lot with something to protect it from bugs. Leave the jar beside your fermenter and then, you'll be able to see the gravity drop as the brew progresses without having to take additional samples.

:luck:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #4 made 6 years ago
"One way to save taking several samples is to just take one after your fermentation activity settles down (say after 4 days). Then leave your hydrometer in your hydrometer jar and cover the whole lot with something to protect it from bugs. Leave the jar beside your fermenter and then, you'll be able to see the gravity drop as the brew progresses without having to take additional samples."

Whoa - PP, what a great idea! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 6 years ago
I did the hydro in the test jar for a lager of mine. It worked perfectly, just as PP said it would do. The only caveat is to start with a full test jar and then add top up water because of evaporation, if needed along the way.

11-JUN; Pitched, hydro jar in fermenter chamber to monitor progress using a Brix Saccharometer 0 - 8.5 range

In this first photo (from right to left)
This photo taken on 20-JUN; on day 9 (notice evaporation taken place in 9 days)

22-JUN; ...more evaporation on day 11

23 JUN; day 12 topped up with water to the brim to make up for evaporation; measures about 3.74 °Brix
Test jar (1).JPG
03-JUL; measures 2.5 ish °Brix plus the 0.4 temperature offset to add equals 2.9 °Brix
Test jar (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 07 Dec 2017, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 6 years ago
Do wonder if hydrometer could be pulled and small jar covered to stop evaporation. It seems like topping off will make reading wrong?.?.? Yes I understand you add water back but that seems like it could cause accuracy issues.?..?. If carefully mark initial fluid level it “should” be right. Seems like pulling the hydrometer and covering the jar with kitchen plastic wrap would take care of the evaporation issue but you would have to put hydrometer back in the jar each time you want to check.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #7 made 6 years ago
I just put a plastic bag loosely over the lot but I've wanted something a bit more elegant...
Next time I might cut the finger off a disposable glove. Only issue with that would be that it might blow off but a pin prick in it would fix that though :drink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “Fermentation (Wort to Still Beer)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 12 guests