Doppelbock stuck at 1.028

Post #1 made 8 years ago
Brewing a doppelbock with 34/70 yeast.

Initial fermentation took off quickly and was very active. Fermented at 11C and after a week was 65% attenuated to around 1.028 so raised the temperature to 18C for a diacetyl rest.

Note that I'm following the quick lager method here: http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/

Now after 3 days at 18C, the gravity hasn't budged. I'm still at around 1.028 and have tried gently rousing the yeast.

I don't know what to do now. Just leave it? If the yeast have stopped working, then I'm left with a sweet beer? I was hoping to get to 1.020.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Post #3 made 8 years ago
10 litres (2.5 gallons roughly) and I actually used 34/70 slurry from a fresh, previous batch of a dunkel.

I did use Mr Malty to give me the amount of slurry to pitch and certainly don't feel I underpitched.

Post #4 made 8 years ago
From My Humble Experience, the Good Yeast is Buried UNDER the Dead Yeast.

Unless your in a Hurry, give the Fermenter a Good Swirl or two, and see if the Yeast Starts Working Again,
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #7 made 8 years ago
RSandilands, I do not know where you are located, and If you yeast are Dead, due to Alcohol Levels, AND if you want a Strong Alcohol level in the Doppelbock.

I have had to use a different yeast "After Fermentation" of a Barley-Wine(1.085OG) to get the FG down to 1.006, due to a Stuck Fermentation.

SEE http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/red- ... agne-yeast

JMHO...
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8 made 8 years ago
Thanks joshua.

I'm really tempted to re-pitch some yeast. I really don't want an overly-sweet beer and figure I don't have much to lose by trying to get it lower. At the very least it will be a learning experience.

Return to “Fermentation (Wort to Still Beer)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 9 guests