New Temperature controller for fermentation

Post #1 made 10 years ago
Ive been gone for a bit, but I wanted to throw out this interesting bit of hardware I stumbled across. Im sorry if it was posted before.

Its a Kickstarter Campaign to fund a chiller to keep your wort cool during fermentation. Very intriguing especially for those short on space. Im thinking of jumping in!

BrewJacket Immersion
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/43 ... a-refriger

Trout
Last edited by 2trout on 26 May 2014, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews
    • BME Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #2 made 10 years ago
2trout wrote:Ive been gone for a bit,
Welcome back 2trout!

Looks like a very interesting bit of kit that. If you do get hold of one I would like to hear how it goes.
A couple of questions cross my miond though;

What is the MAXIMUM temp differential (delta T) of the device? If you want to ferment lagers at 9C, can you do so if your ambient is 20C (ish) or more?
Could I build it myslelf cheaper & better (probably not, but as an engineer it makes me curious)!

When you say "jumping in" are you thinking of the $299 to get a unit or just donating?

:luck:
Last edited by mally on 27 May 2014, 02:01, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 10 years ago
Hiya 2trout and nice to hear from you.

That's an interesting device and I echo Mally's comments. I'd also be interested in the final unit cost, $200-300 is a lot of money.

One to watch I suppose, and once our Chinese friends start to copy it and mass produce it they might end up more affordable.

:peace:

Yeasty
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #4 made 10 years ago
True, It is costly. They do say that it allows for lagering, but He does not provide much in the way of temp differential (thanks Mally).

Ive been considering Donating enough to secure a unit along with the insulating jacket.

This purchase would, however, throw a wrench in my "brew what my ambient temps allow" philosophy, ie; lagers in the winter only. (Im drinking a "classic american pilsner" at the moment that I LOVE. Gotta ferment it cold and I cant do that till november. :sad: )

Trout
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews

Post #5 made 10 years ago
Here is a response from the inventor regarding temperature drop and humidity.
*Aaron Walls* says:

Hey Tom

The device can drop the temperature of the liquid it is immersed in about 30F below
the ambient temperature. We haven't found large effects of humidity on the
performance of the device.

In a low humidity location with an ambient temp of 75F, it would be able to bring
the wort down to about 45F.

Thanks
Aaron
Here is what draws me to this device..... It's small and is easily stored (unlike a refrigerator.) You dial in your temp, and it does the rest. I would not need to build it. It would give me control over my fermentation temps. It is supporting an entrepreneur and is made in the US.

And its an excuse to buy a new toy.... ;)

Trout
Last edited by 2trout on 06 Jun 2014, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
Bobbrews

Post #8 made 10 years ago
Well,

The Kickstarter funding ended and I did not fund it, thought I wish I had. Lots of people believe in the device-the inventors were hoping for $45,000- and received $108,000! My guess is look for this device in your Home Brew shop in the years to come.

trout
Bobbrews

Return to “Fermentation (Wort to Still Beer)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 2 guests