Is it really no rinse?

Post #1 made 13 years ago
Having started brewing in Canada in the late 1980's there was no such thing as the internet or user forums etc.You could hardly find dextrose!
My knowledge was strictly what Uncle Charlie Papazian said, and I still believe in his word as the fall back if I'm not sure of something.My edition of TCJHB was published in(I think 1987).
BTW I have lots of Zymurgy mags of the same era.(cool reading now)
Charlie always professed that household bleach was a good sanitzer.Now that I have switched to Starsan I cannot help my self!!
I have to rinse!!
Is this a bad thing?
Will I go blind?
Will my yeast go limp?
Please help,should I,or should I not rinse after Starsan?
P.S. bleach drops DO show on carpet!!
AWOL

Post #2 made 13 years ago
Hey,
the five star guys are professionals. They know brewing sanitization.

As long as the contact time is sufficient, it will be sanitized. If you choose to rinse- make sure it is with boiled/filtered water. Starsan is awesome...
The foam of starsan also degrades into food for the yeast so that makes it that much better of a choice. Plus, there is residual antibacterial properties so even if you sanitize with a spray bottle (I do) you will have less product to use and it will continue to inhibit growth for a relatively moderate period. Spend less time and no rinse, everything will be ok :drink:

Post #3 made 13 years ago
And basically, if you rinse, its less sanitary than it was before you rinsed
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #5 made 13 years ago
lylo,
Don't fear the foam is correct. I fill without fear! This was higher yet before it fell. I don't rinse and I have no problems.
Foam_StarSan.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BobBrews on 13 May 2011, 22:04, edited 5 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 13 years ago
How do you tell when the keg is full?
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #8 made 13 years ago
Stux wrote:How do you tell when the keg is full?
It's full when it overflows on the rug! Or, I make sure I have less than the keg will hold.
Lylo wrote:How much starsan was in there?
Not much. I normally cap the keg. Shake like crazy and invert to drain out the last of the StarSan. I am impatient by trade so sometimes I don't wait enough. The stuff really foams up a storm. I know of a few people on this board who forgot to drain the StarSan and dumped the beer on top of it! No harm done. It has no taste. At least that's what say. I know what you're thinking. He did it, he left it in! No Comment!
Last edited by BobBrews on 14 May 2011, 03:03, edited 5 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #9 made 13 years ago
Hey Bob,I checked out your website,good job on the BIAB pics.I noticed the bare trusses in your garage,why don't you just hang a bungee off the truss,pull it down and hook it onto a rope on the bag.Start with a long bungee and tie knots in it til you get the length right.
I know,I know,these are old pics and youve already got a computerized solar powered sky hook in place,right?
AWOL

Post #10 made 13 years ago
Lylo,

You are right. Some day I will rig up the pulley system but for now I will use those huge arms. I have brewed a single hop IPA (Citra) this morning and I am brewing a Guinness clone (dry Irish stout) as I type. I am also trying to empty a keg that is near bottom. I got to get a life. All this brewing and drinking is going to drive me to drink!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #12 made 13 years ago
Do not rinse, the foaming layer is a protective layer on the inside of whatever you have just sanitised. If you rinse it you are doing two things, removing the protective layer of foam that will stop any airborne stuff landing on your sanitsed surfaces and you are also reintroducing non-sterile water.

The foam freaks some people out, I love it.
http://beernvictuals.blogspot.com/ My blog, If you like what you read post a comment on the blog comments section thanks, BIAB post coming soon.

Return to “Cleaning and Sanitisation”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 23 guests