Cleaning dirty ball valve/connections

Post #1 made 13 years ago
Hey gang,

I have inherited 3 stainless keggles with ball lock valve welds and thermometers inserted. Lucky me!

I have taken on the challenge of cleaning them through well before they are used. They were pretty dirty, have old spent grains in them, dark stains, etc. They are basically a mess and I "tisk tisk" the previous owner for not cleaning post brew.

I've so far pulled apart the ball lock and fitting components.

What sorts of cleaners should I use? There are stainless fittings and brass fittings in the mix.

What should I use for the keggle?

EDIT: So after much internet research "Bar Keepers Friend" seems to be the best choice and I've sourced out a local store that stocks it. However, any other advice would be good since this is my first set up that has these welded additions, and a converted keg as a kettle too. Now I just have to find the evaporation rate of it.

Post #2 made 13 years ago
I would soak the stainless in a strong PBW solution for a long time

Except the brass, you can't extended soak that I think

The pbw will do the work for you
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #4 made 13 years ago
Remember to finish the cleaning process by sanitising the equipment with some sort of acid wash (eg Starsan). Cleaning gets rid of the organic stuff. The acid gets rid of the inorganic (mineral) layer in which some bugs can hide.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 13 years ago
And it also neutralizes the alkaline cleanser if you didn't rinse it thoroughly enough
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Return to “Cleaning and Sanitisation”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 19 guests