Hoses

Post #1 made 13 years ago
How do you guys clean, sanitize, and store your siphon hoses? I'm always a little nervous with mine when I can see moisture in them days after I've washed and/or rinsed them. I usually stick the whole hose in sanitizer right after I transfer wort or beer then I plunge the sanitizer with my autosiphon through it a number of times. I then whip the hose around in the air and hang it up to dry. On brew day, I do the same with my cleaning solution then again with my sanitizer just before I transfer. But still I see that moisture that sits in there for days....

Also how about 1/2" diameter hoses used for blowoff? Lots of crud in there. I try to get a drip loop in my blowoff so the crud can't go back into the fermenter but still...that crud is hard to get out. I soak them in oxiclean solution for a few days and run water through them pinching all along the length until it looks clean. But with all that crud in there to begin with...I wonder.
Blog: http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/
Facebook BIAB Group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7 ... 978&ref=nf

Post #2 made 13 years ago
I soak my hoses, both in cleaner and sanitizer, flush with hot water then hang on a hook from their mid point. They seem to drain and dry well that way
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #3 made 13 years ago
I have a silicone hose for transferring hot wort to the no chill cube. This gets cleaned after transferring, and cleaned before brewing, both times with sodium pre-carbonate.

My vinyl hose for racking to secondary and keg, gets soaked in cleaning solution the day before. Then when I fill my secondary up with idophor to sanitize, I firstly rinse the tube then hook the hose up to the tap and drain the idophor out through to a small bucket and into a spray bottle. I then submerge the hose in the bucket until I rack which is usually about 10 or so minutes. I think I will replace it every 5 or so brews.

Return to “Cleaning and Sanitisation”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 16 guests