Cleaning & sanitising bottles?

Post #1 made 10 years ago
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can offer advice on cleaning regimes for bottles..

For the last 3ish years I've rinsed bottles out straight after using them with water a few times prior to storing. I then sanitizer with starsan and then drain before refilling. I've never had a problem with this method but should I be scrubbing them as well? If so with what? Can the dishwasher do the job for me also?

Thanks all,
James

Post #2 made 10 years ago
Hi James, I've been doing the same for a few years without issue. If they get a good rinse after use they only need to be sanitized before filling. If you haven't got them get a vinator and bottling tree, cuts the process down to minutes

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Post #3 made 10 years ago
+1 what Lars says, I do exactly the same without any issues (so far), the vinator & tree are a godesnd.

I do use Brettanomyces as well though, so with those, and occasionally with all of them I will give a bleach soak for hours, rinse, and then Starsan etc.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #5 made 10 years ago
I do much the same as you but on bottling day when I clean the bottles with sanitizer I half fill them with fluid, then using my battery operated electric drill, they get a quick scrub with the bottle brush.

Maybe just piece of mind but so far sogood
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Re: Re:

Post #6 made 10 years ago
bundy wrote:I do much the same as you but on bottling day when I clean the bottles with sanitizer I half fill them with fluid, then using my battery operated electric drill, they get a quick scrub with the bottle brush.

Maybe just piece of mind but so far sogood
You're obviously as mad as your namesake:)

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Lars on 17 Mar 2014, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.

Post #7 made 10 years ago
I follow a simple but strict regime.

If they are new bottles, donated, I soak for 3 days in oxiclean, scrub with a bottle cleaner (as per Brundy) with an electric drill, then soak for 24 hours with a mild bleach. Empty, and cap with a bit of cling film (still wet from the bleach)

If my own, I rise and shake dry, then cap with cling film.

On brew day, I fill a large bucket with SanStar and soak the first batch, rebrush with the electric drill / bottle brush, shake dry and fill with beer. The next batch is already soaking.

This way each bottle is clean and sanitised and I have never had a issue.

Sounds like a lot of work, but really, once the bottles are in deep storage, it really is just a quick starsan treatment prior to bottling, and I enjoy bottling so the time goes quickly.

And the Oxiclean really does a great job of removing old labels. My own labels are stuck on with milk, so just float off easily.
Last edited by Yettiman on 18 Mar 2014, 10:41, edited 2 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #8 made 10 years ago
My regime is similar to Yetti's with a few exceptions.
I use Diversol (Sani-Clean), the pink stuff, to clean all my bottles if they are new. This sanitizes and cleans the bottles much better than PBW IMO and it is done in one step. All the wine bottles and beer bottles are cleaned with this to get the tough crud out.

Also I don't even own a bottle brush for the small bottles so this step is skipped.

This is just my process and all the above advise is mint. :)
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Canada

Post #9 made 10 years ago
I soak at least 24hrs in Oxy Clean, this removes most labels and glue wipes off pretty easily. I also scrub with bottle brush before removing from a 30 gallon tub (half full of liquid at most).

After a recent dishwashing cycle, I'll load it full of bottles and run it on the heat cycle with no soap. Then, I store them after leaving them to dry a bit.

On bottling day I'll soak them in star san for a few minutes, hit with bottle brush again ... drain/rinse and fill then cap immediately.

Sometimes I will do the dishwashing cycle and everything after that on bottling day, but I'm usually prepared well before that.

No issues yet.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Cleaning and Sanitisation”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 25 guests