Longevity of Sodium Metabisulphate

Post #1 made 10 years ago
Under advisement from my LHBS I currently leave 1litre of water with 1tbsp of Sodium MetabisulphateI in the bottom of my fermenters and no chill containers between uses. This is to prevent any bacterial growth. I usually then toss this when I use the container. However I am getting stingy in my old age and am looking to reuse these solutions.

This stuff really whiffs and stings your eyes and nostrils when you first open the container which I take is a sign it's still in good nick but I am not sure how long it would remain effective and am wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Cheers

Post #2 made 10 years ago
Homemade,
Sodium MetabisulphateI This is to prevent any bacterial growth.
I never heard of doing that?

Why would you need anything extra like that to prevent bacteria? :think: I use the boil and cleanliness to prevent bacteria. Sanitation is all you need to be free of unwanted growths. I try to do the minimum of work but the maximum of sanitation because it's the most important step. :love:
Last edited by BobBrews on 14 Oct 2013, 20:14, edited 2 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 10 years ago
Hi BB

maybe bacteria is not the right word, what he said was, "... Leaving a small amount in the container between uses will prevent anything growing in there and when you are ready to use it again all you have to do is swish the solution around, pour it out and you're ready to go."

As you have washed the container out after the last use and (I guessing here) "sanitized" ( with sodium met solution left in there), there is nothing to do when it's time to reuse....time saving.

I understand there's a difference between cleaning and sanitizing, I guess I am not clear whether sodium met as a growth inhibitor, is a sanitizer? Just reread the pack it says:

A bacterial inhibitor ideal for sanitizing equip and bottles (so it must be ok to sanitize) and as a preservative and to stabilize fermentation in wine making.

As it costs so much I want to reuse it.

Post #4 made 10 years ago
Homemade,
Potassium metabisulfite is one of the most important winemaking compounds. It is an antioxidant and bactericide that releases sulfur dioxide into wine must. Use 1/4 teaspoon per five gallons to add 50 ppm. Or, mix 1/4 pound in 1 quart of water to make a stock solution; 1 teaspoon of stock solution in one gallon of must yields 50 ppm sulfur dioxide.
Sodium Metabisulfite Essentially the same salt with the same applications as potassium metabisulfite, but contains the sodium ion instead of potassium. Some winemakers prefer to use this salt for sanitizing and KMS for antioxidant/stabilizing additions to must and wine. Use the same way and in the same proportions as KMS.
You are making beer. This is wine related and I don't make wine so I don't know. I do know this. I have never heard of using this stuff for the reasons you stated. The product descriptions above say "releases sulfur dioxide into wine must" That can't be good for beer?

I use StarSan to sanitize my containers and many are happy with Iodophor. Maybe someone else can help you? Look here ...
http://home-brewing.northernbrewer.com/ ... zers&asug=
Last edited by BobBrews on 15 Oct 2013, 21:09, edited 2 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #5 made 10 years ago
Sodium Metabisulphite is not a sufficient sanitizer.
starsan or iodaphore are what you should be using.

BTW, i store my no-chill jerrys with about a liter of water and one capful of bleach in them between uses.
(when ready to use, i rinse very well and sanitize with starsan)
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #6 made 10 years ago
Thks guys,

Gheez I never realised brewing would be so confusing.

Both my LHBS sell this stuff as a sanitizer, they sell this as a no rinse option cant remember what the rinse option is, tried looking at their sites tonight but neither has a photo with enough resolution to be able to read the label. Anyhow, I will try attaching a photo of the label so you can see, if this stuff is not a sanitiser then someone has seriously mis-labeled it!

I am not doubting you guys just getting frustrated with bad advice, moving on I would like to move away from it as it is a real nostril ripper so once it runs out I will change over to something else.

I always rinse this out before reusing the fermentor or no chill cubes, I boil water on the stove and pour BOILING water into them, swirl then discard and I do this twice. I started doing it as I was concerned that it might kill off some of the yeast if any was left in the fermentor, after all the packet does tell you it is used to stabilise (stop) fermentation in winemaking so too much of it in the beginning of a ferment probably isnt a good thing.

Anyway thanks again for the input, I hear that I should move on from this, as I said I'd like to use it up first then change. My rinsing is OK right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #7 made 10 years ago
I see lots of Warnings there. Eye Contact, Vapors, skin?
It says "Equipment Sterilizer" and "sanitizing"?

You use whatever you want. It probably works or they would not sell it to you! I like StarSan and that's what I use. I just never heard of any beer expert using it? I don't do what the "experts?" say to do anyhow!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #8 made 10 years ago
I use Sodium Metabisulphate all the time for winemaking - the real sterilising is done by the sulphur dioxide that is given off. When I empty a demijohn, I clean it thoroughly, and then leave them sealed with about an inch of the stuff in them, and it can be used until it doesn't take the lining off your nostrils any more. But be careful with this stuff - the fumes are lethal. I don't know how that relates to beer making, but that's my tuppennyworth.

Post #9 made 10 years ago
Thks again for the input, I do what skink does and now I understand it is the fumes that sterilise. I must admit I hate them and did not realise this wasnt widely used in brewing. Having to rinse with boiling water annoys me as well.

I just assumed all sterilisers had a whiff, chlorine, Bleach (which is just weak chlorine anyway), etc all smell.

Again this forum has educated me.

Thanks

Return to “Cleaning and Sanitisation”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 8 guests