Sanitizing with Iodophor

Post #1 made 10 years ago
Hello guys!
Can those of you who use iodophor for sanitizing tell me how it works? I mean, it really stains the plastic parts? If so, are the stains very bad or just a bit of change in color?
Until now i have used Chemipro OXI but now i find that iodophor can be a bit cheaper and, i hope, a bit efficient also (i had an infected beer the last time i brewed, so i want to improve my sanitizing)
Does any of you know if Iodophor is stronger/better than Chemipro OXI? (European brewers should heard about Chemipro, is an oxygen based sanitizer).
I have to mention tht Star San is not available in my country...the price for shipping is bigger than the solution...

Post #2 made 10 years ago
ive used it for about 3 years and none of my fermenters are stained. Its great stuff you can spray it on anything without it reacting unlike starsan.

The best way ive found it to get yourself a good quality 1L spray bottle. I think its 1ml per Litre (or something tiny like that), so you use very little of it and you just spray anything and everything when your brewing, bottling or kegging

Im sure the people who have stained fermenters were adding too much.

Post #3 made 10 years ago
I've read that is not safe to use with copper, aluminiun, silver or wood, but anyway, i have only plastic and glass fermenters and an stainless steel keggle.
Also the recommended concentration is 5ml/10 litres of water at my supplier...that means 0.5ml/litre.
The recomended contact time is 2 min, does simply spraying do the job?

Post #4 made 10 years ago
bionut,

I had iodophor but didn't care for it. I spilled it once and it stained everything. From then on I was so worried about it that I lost interest in it. I am not saying there is anything wrong with it. People have been using it for years as a cheap and effective sanitizer. I am just saying that I moved on to StarSan and am very satisfied with it. (except the price)!

I put a mixture of water and StarSan in a spray bottle and sanitize the kegs as I work with them. I am looking for air leaks. The foam works to show leaks better. Don't fear the foam is the byword with StarSan because it foams a lot, but I like that. It fills the airspace as I fill a keg keeping the air out. I like the no rinse properties of it. Soak a bottle and let it dry, no rinse. Many time I have forgot to totally empty a keg before filling leaving a pint or more of StarSan in the keg! I don't have to worry because it is also tasteless as well as drink able!

I reuse starsan as long as it is clean and the pH remains at a certain level (I forget what it is at the moment?) I just found another use for it! :argh:

As it get's near the end of usefulness I use it to wash the tomatoes from the garden. Normally I just pluck the late season tomatoes from the plant and put them in a box to ripen. Usually I forget about them and they rot! This year on a whim I tried rinsing the tomatoes with StarSan and low and behold the tomatoes didn't go bad! They look perfect. Maybe it killed the normal bacteria that lives on tomatoes and preserved them???? I don't know but I will try that again! :think:
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 10 years ago
I know that StarSan is probably the best sanitizer out there, but in my country (Romania) i can't get it. In fact neither in the rest of the Europe i didn't see it in stores, except UK, who is close with USA. But the price will rise too much if i order it from UK. I think i will go with iodphor, is the cheapest way for now.
Do you know if "tincture of iodine" is the same with Iodophor? If so, it means that i can find it even cheaper, from drug stores.

Post #6 made 10 years ago
bionut wrote:I know that StarSan is probably the best sanitizer out there, but in my country (Romania) i can't get it. In fact neither in the rest of the Europe i didn't see it in stores, except UK, who is close with USA. But the price will rise too much if i order it from UK. I think i will go with iodphor, is the cheapest way for now.
Do you know if "tincture of iodine" is the same with Iodophor? If so, it means that i can find it even cheaper, from drug stores.
No, they are not the same. Look for Iodophor. Hope this helps; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodophor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 18 Sep 2013, 05:42, edited 2 times in total.

Post #8 made 10 years ago
bionut wrote:I've read that is not safe to use with copper, aluminiun, silver or wood, but anyway, i have only plastic and glass fermenters and an stainless steel keggle.
Also the recommended concentration is 5ml/10 litres of water at my supplier...that means 0.5ml/litre.
The recomended contact time is 2 min, does simply spraying do the job?
Yep, spraying does the job, i bought a good quality spray bottle and it has lasted me 3 years. And I just finished my first 250ml bottle of iodophor and have purchased a litre bottle (they'll probably be able to bury me with half that bottle still unused). I checked the concerntration and mine is 1ml/Litre. Its in a small squeezy bottle so unlike Bob its hard to spill and the only thing thats gone yellow in my brewery is the spray bottle which holds the iodophor.

I see with starsan people make up buckets of the stuff when sterilising, I dont see any need to do this. Everything in my brewery gets cleaned with sodium percarbinate or sometime just sprayed with a strong jet of hot water and then sprayed with iodophor and is left to sit and drain for a couple of minutes. Im lucky to go through a litre of spray in one brewday. If you want to soak things use sodium percarbinate.

Starsan was hard to get here, but I finally got a bottle about 6 months ago as everyone says how great it is, but I used it twice and went back to iodophor

Bionut, if you can get iodophor cheaply in your country I highly recommend it.
Last edited by Aces high on 18 Sep 2013, 07:20, edited 2 times in total.

Post #9 made 10 years ago
Yes, i can get it cheap, compared to starsan... Chemipro OXI is a compound of sodium
carbonate and hydrogen peroxide, is that the same, or similar, to sodium pecarbonate? Sorry, i don't know chemistry at all :D

Post #10 made 10 years ago
bionut wrote:Yes, i can get it cheap, compared to starsan... Chemipro OXI is a compound of sodium
carbonate and hydrogen peroxide, is that the same, or similar, to sodium pecarbonate? Sorry, i don't know chemistry at all :D
Yep, looks like it. I just found this on Wikipedia.

Sodium percarbonate
Chemical Compound

Sodium percarbonate is a chemical, an adduct of sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide, with formula 2Na2CO3 · 3H2O2. It is a colorless, crystalline, hygroscopic and water-soluble solid. Wikipedia

So your chemipro oxi is more of a cleaner than a sterilizer even though I have read that it does both
Last edited by Aces high on 19 Sep 2013, 07:02, edited 2 times in total.

Post #11 made 10 years ago
Many different product names that contain 'sodium carbonate and sodium percarbonate'; oxi clean, oxi stain remover, oxi fresh, oxy... One MSDS says, '1% in H20' has a 10.5 pH. I know many brewers that use this instead of PBW as a 'cleaner' because it's cheaper.

Iodophor should be used afterwards as a sanitizer;
"It has an organic carrier, which is a surfactant, that allows the iodine to be released in solution at "normal" pH. He said anything less than about pH 8-8.5 would be okay"

Post #12 made 10 years ago
I heard that they named Chemipro oxi "cleaner" because in Belgium they have to pay extra taxes for sanitizers, but in fact it is much stronger that a cleaner.
The only downside, except the price, is that is working only with hot/warm water, that's what the producer recommend.

Post #14 made 10 years ago
I see the need to use boiling water as a downside.
Aces high: Do you use Iodophor for your chiller? If you have one... I just made an copper immersion chiller and i don't know if i can clean/sanitize it with Iodophor, as i don't want to put it in boiling wort with all the oxidation on it. The seller says that iodophor can't be used with copper and some other metals, but on the Internet i have read that is safe to use it with these metals.

Post #15 made 10 years ago
I don't use a chiller, but if you are, you just need to give it a bit of a clean after you use it. You throw your chiller in the beer about 5 minutes before end of boil and by the time it comes out it will be nice and shiny. The boiling beer does the sanitizing.

Post #16 made 10 years ago
I tried to find some hdpe containers to try no chill but it looks that i can find only pvc...
The shine that comes out after chilling concern me, it looks like all the oxidation is left in the beer.

Post #19 made 10 years ago
Basic Brewing Radio is doing a show about toxic chemicals and poisons that could be extracted from plastic containers. (no-chill)? It will be airing soon stay tuned. Scan through the shows from the last six years and maybe you can learn a few more tricks? :drink: Cheers!

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio
Last edited by BobBrews on 13 Oct 2013, 01:54, edited 2 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #21 made 10 years ago
bionut,

That's me! I did a bunch of shows on BBR about no chilling and you can look for them going back to 2012 or is it 2011? Anyway, check it out!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #23 made 10 years ago
For all the iodophor users out there, have you ever used Betadine as a iodophor replacer?
As i said, my local homebrew shop don't sell iodophor anymore, so i may try betadine for a pharmacy instead.
For my last brew i used bleach+vinegar sanitizer :-D

Post #24 made 10 years ago
bionut wrote: For my last brew i used bleach+vinegar sanitizer :-D
One no-rinse sanitizer as mentioned on HBT is (1 oz. bleach/5 gallons water/1 oz. vinegar).

Mix 1 oz bleach in 5 gal water, then add 1 oz vinegar; 30 seconds minimum contact/soak time, and don't rinse.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 13 Nov 2013, 06:56, edited 2 times in total.

Post #25 made 10 years ago
Mad_Scientist wrote:
bionut wrote: For my last brew i used bleach+vinegar sanitizer :-D
One no-rinse sanitizer as mentioned on HBT is (1 oz. bleach/5 gallons water/1 oz. vinegar).

Mix 1 oz bleach in 5 gal water, then add 1 oz vinegar; 30 seconds minimum contact/soak time, and don't rinse.
That's exactly what i used.
Last edited by bionut on 13 Nov 2013, 07:07, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Cleaning and Sanitisation”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 22 guests