Spreadsheet PR 1.3T not working for me

Post #1 made 6 years ago
Hi there,

I downloaded version PR 1.3T yesterday.

I have entered all the info into sections A, B, C, D, E, G AND H.

Expected OG, bitterness to gravity ratio and other fields are not populating in section A.

I entered in substitutions into section D but it has not populated the "What you wil use section".

Also, section K and beyond is not auto-populating.

I am really disppointed cause I felt Beersmith was like the Photoshop of brewing and was way over my head and beyond my needs. Biabacus was recommended to me due to its simplicity.

Hope it's an easy fix. Thanks for all your work on the spreadsheet so far.

Thanks.
Last edited by HoppitonBrewery on 17 Apr 2018, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Re: Spreadsheet PR 1.3T not working for me

Post #2 made 6 years ago
HoppitonBrewery -
I have some questions about your situation, but first try this:

You do not need to fill in ALL the boxes, but some are critical.
Section C green boxes on the right should populate if you have filled in the [fermentable grain types in the white boxes on the left] and corresponding [Grams/Ratios] on the left AFTER you have filled in all the empty white number fields on the right side in Section B above. You can make substitutions later.

Immediately under the bar on top of Section C. The Fermentable Bill, It is an either/or choice: , you do not have to fill in [This recipe requires an Original Gravity (OG)] box IF you have filled in the [For this batch though, I’d like to try an OG of:] box. IF you put a different number in each, you will see the populated green Grams and Pounds boxes change accordingly.

Section D for the hop bill may not populate on the right side on first try. I have had that experience and I will see if I can duplicate it and get back to you on a solution.

In the meantime, always save your file with the .xls extension at the end of the filename. If you don't, the file has a good chance of getting corrupted when opened and the best recovery is to download a fresh blank one again.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 6 years ago
Cheers.

Turns out all I needed to do was put in the OG the recipe requires at the top of section C.

As the recipe I'm using didn't give OG and FG, I have used the BJCP guidelines to see what it should be for the style I am brewing.

Does Biabacus calculate the potential points for each grain type you enter and then calculate the OG based on the brewhouse efficiency or mash efficiency? The expected OG in section A exactly matches the 'recipe requires an OG of' that I manually entered whihc seems to good to be true.........

As I mentioned, I have used the Substitutions part of section D. I have used Simcoe (12.2%a) instead of Citra (11%a). I was surprised that the program is telling me to use more Simcoe than the amounts of Citra that were in the recipe given that Simcoe has a higher %a. This doesn't seem right - can you pleae confirm?

Finally, I just wanted to clarify what the "Mash Volume" in section K is. Is it the total volume taken up by the TWN and the grain?

Thanks so much.

PS: I am finding the little question marks for each section aren't doing anything when I click them - I assume they should link to a help page or section description page? Thanks.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #4 made 6 years ago
Some quick answers for you...

The BIABacus file uses some estimates. They are normally pretty accurate.

On more hops needed even though higher AA, normally this is because you have a larger batch size.

Please post your BIABacus file. If you have this it will help us help you. Sometimes simple mistakes can pop out as obvious. Or maybe there is no mistake...? Anyhow, let us know and we will do our best to help.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 6 years ago
Scott wrote:
6 years ago
Please post your BIABacus file. If you have this it will help us help you.
Perfect advice from [mention]Scott[/mention] as always :peace:
[mention]HoppitonBrewery[/mention], your question will be impossible to answer without you posting your file.

As for the "question marks" at the top right of each BIABacus section, yes, the idea was to have them link to appropriate help but we couldn't get it to work. That was a while back now so probably due for another try - if we can find the time!

:argh: PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “Help for Draft, Craft and Gold Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 2 guests