belgian tripel advice - in 40l urn

Post #1 made 13 years ago
my holy grail of brewing is piraat ale, the most sublime drink on the planet. So why wait, have a shot at it. It's a monster with 1.101 OG.

So i'm thinking of ways to achieve this:
1. Use LDME to help achieve OG because urn is too small: I figure i'm not going to fit 8 kilos of grain and will seriously compromise efficiency with so much grain in the urn. So, i'm thinking i'll mash with a large base of pilsner & speciality grains, but then also buy some DME and top it up to get to the 1.101 OG during the boil.
2. Is LDME a substitute for Pilsner? or should i get some speciality pilsner DME?
3. Don't see why boil candi sugar. Add after fermentation has begun. With my very successful duvel clone, i added the invert sugar after fermentation had begun, allowing the yeast to first get stuck into the malt. I know it will tend to go for the easiest ferment, so this should help. So i can't see the point in boiling the candi sugar either, unless there's something i'm not aware of.
4. What's the biggest grain bill you can put in a 40 litre urn? At some point you are losing efficiency big time I imagine.

Any thoughts on the above or other advice?
Last edited by bcp on 13 Jun 2011, 19:59, edited 5 times in total.

Post #2 made 13 years ago
re you sure all of the gravity on the tripel is grain derived? The invert sugar would count as gravity

Re mash limits, we haven't established a limit yet, but I would expect once you get to a 2.5-3 L/KG liquid/grist ratio you would get in trouble. You would probably want to do a separate sparge

Perhaps look at the maxi-Biab guides and calculators?
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #3 made 13 years ago
Hey BCP

Hope you can sort this one out. I have no advice, but would be interested in how it goes. Am partial to the Belgian ales, and would like to do a dubbel or tripel. :luck:

Cheers

BD
Drinking: last K&B & extract brews, BIAB #1- Golden Ale, #2- Pale Ale, #3- Galaxy Single-hop Ale
In the Pipeline: ESB, Landlord

Return to “Electric BIAB”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 19 guests