95 Litre Build - Advice Needed!

Post #1 made 6 years ago
Hey Guys

I am putting together a 95 Litre E-BIAB build.

I am looking at a 95 Litre pot from CheakyPeakBrewery and getting 2 x 2200w Elements installed.
Now because the elements are longer than half the diameter of the pot the element will have to be installed one above the other.
I am thinking of making a false floor that sits above the top element. This will sit approx 100-125mm High from the bottom of the pot.
Do you guys see any issue with this? I have had someone tell me that there is too much water under the grain however I wouldn't have thought this would pose too much of an issue.

What are your thoughts?

Re: 95 Litre Build - Advice Needed!

Post #2 made 6 years ago
Hi Irwazza :salute: ,

I'm stuck for time today however, even if I wasn't stuck, I think that I'd ask for some more details so as to give a decent answer. I'm wondering, can you give more info on what your overall goals are? For example:

- Are you wanting to build an automated brewery?
- What styles (and strengths) do you want to brew?
- What will each batch end up in, bottles, one or two corny kegs or a 50L keg? (What volume do you want to end up drinking on each batch?)
- What size fermenter are you planning on?
- What chilling method?

There will be more things I've forgotten to ask above. Basically I want to get a picture of your "brewery." Also, writing an answer to the above questions forces your mind into visualising each step of the process. Any individual aspect of brewing is easy however, if not planned, we end up with a brewery that does not "fit" together. Everything inter-relates.

So, having the overall picture will really help identify issues, some which may be critical.

Will look forward to following this thread and being of help if I can :peace:
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 6 years ago
Thanks PP

1) Not looking at automating at this stage. If I was to it would be a whole new setup.

2) Too be honest, I’ll be trying all different styles and generally will stick to standard full strength.

3) All beer will be put into kegs. Want to achieve 3 x Corny kegs per brew.

4) 30L

5) No Chill

Let me know if there any other details that may help.

Cheers
Brenton

Post #4 made 6 years ago
Excellent - getting a better picture now :peace:

Before I write below, please bear in mind I've had little sleep for several days and so the following is a relaxing, wind-down write for me. The downside for you is that it may not end up as well written or structured as I would like - it could be more of a ramble. But, here we go...

Automation

I'm pleased to see you are not heading that way. It can work on a home brewery but more often than not, it doesn't. The main reason it doesn't is because the amount of moving parts increases. Moving parts in a commercial or constantly used brewery are fine as the liquids that flow through them are also constantly moving. A home brewery is totally different. We only brew once a week or month. This means any moving part allows stagnancy. Infections gradually creep in.

I Like but Don't Like Your Kettle*

I can see that the Cheeky Brewery kettle is made with some care and thought but, for the reasons above, I really think the temperature probe and ball-valves are going to work against you. I'm not saying this from inexperience...

I have two kettles (stock-pots) and brewed for several years without having any holes in them. For some reason, I decided to install ball-valves. A year or so later, I removed them and had to take them to a stainless steel welder to seal the holes up. Instead of saving me time, they cost me time and decreased control.

The same thing goes for thermometer probes. They intrude into your kettle, make your kettle harder to clean, are often inaccurate and, if they are accurate, you still need to mix the mash to get an accurate reading. There are much easier ways around this.

Just remember it is far easier to add a hole to your kettle later than to remove one.

Electrics versus Gas

This is more of q question for you. I think you live in Australia. Is there some reason why you are thinking of using electric elements rather than a gas burner?

One Kettle or Two?

A 95 litre kettle is big and it's actually quite hard to handle. I have 70 litre kettles (stock pots) and you wouldn't think there would be much difference but there is.

However, given you want to fill 3 x Corny's per brew, I suspect you are in the same frame of mind I was in my early days of brewing - you want volume!!! :)

But, you are already talking abut having two electric elements in one big pot. How about having one element in two pots?

Having two pots/kettles, even if you are doing exactly the same recipe has some basic positives but, more importantly it enables you to do things you may not have even imagined yet. For me, having two kettles has resulted in options, discoveries and conveniences I would have never imagined. (A few quick examples - you will become one of the tiny percentage of home brewers that can do true side-by-side tests; you can do two different brews in the same time on a brew day; you can blend brews etc., etc.)

So think on that. Does it make any sense?

I'll have to sign off now as I have to be up in six hours - again!
:salute:
Pat

* Just was glancing over the Cheeky Peeky kettle specs. A lot of stuff (even beside the ball-valves and thermometer) you do not need and should not have (they require a pump). See if they can sell you a "clean" kettle - no holes or instruments. If not, investigate prices of Robinox pots.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 16 May 2018, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “Electric BIAB”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 29 guests