Urn electrical terminals upgrade.

Post #1 made 6 years ago
I love my 40L Crown Urn.
I recently had to take my baby to the doctor. There I was with about 10 minutes of boil time left and I could distinctly smell the dreaded electrical burning smell. Managed to finish the batch, and even later after plugging in and testing, it was still operational. Further inspection on taking the base plate off showed a few half melted and blacked connection terminals which might not take much more punishment. Took it to a local appliance repairer and for $60 they confirmed and fixed, upgraded the connections and some of the wiring to a heavier grade/gauge. I explained what it was used for and the process, and that I wasn't making cups of tea so they must have thought it necessary.
My urn has a concealed element, the factory alteration to allow for continuous boil without cutting out, and the only modification is the thermal bubble wrap cover which maintains temp during the mash and allows for a good boil action.
Has anyone else with the same gear had this drama?
It's business as usual now, and I've completed another 5 brews since this scare.
Last edited by Muggy Dawson on 06 Feb 2018, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.
Stout, Stout, Stout, and some other stuff...
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Re: Urn electrical terminals upgrade.

Post #2 made 6 years ago
Here in the UK we have a similar product that is popular called the Buffalo boiler.
There are numerous reports of this happening so you are not alone.

I seem to remember one guy found the problem was due to the connector (spade) & its conncection on the terminal. This was slowly corroding and losing contact (& increasing resistance, hence heat being generated).
He just replaced the terminals, but sounds like you have gone a step further.

Just occasionally check the wires/connectors in case you notice anything like this happening again would be my advice.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Re: Urn electrical terminals upgrade.

Post #3 made 6 years ago
Thanks Mally.
Good to know it's not a one off.
No moisture in the compartment area, but corrosion build up is a possibility.
I told the repairer I didn't just want it fixed, but I also wanted it to never happen again, as in be in the same situation in a couple of years.
A regular check like you say is probably best.
Stout, Stout, Stout, and some other stuff...
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Return to “Electric BIAB”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 16 guests