Induction Cook Tops. Need advice please

Post #1 made 7 years ago
Hello All,

Last weekend while brewing a batch of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone in the garage with the wife she asked me why we don't brew inside the house?  I went on to explain the whole propane burner, carbon monoxide issue all the while she is intently looking at me but I can see the wheels turning inside her head.  She then asks what would we need to be able to brew inside?  To which I replied "I guess we could use an induction burner".   Then she told me we should get one!!  I tried to explain the potential cost etc but she wouldn't hear it!!  Anything so that we can brew inside.  Gotta love it!
I looked through some of the older threads here and found some useful information but was wondering if anyone is actively using induction burners and how they like them?
So the question I pose to everyone here is: What do I need to look for in an induction cook top and does anyone have any recommendations?  I am looking at 220 volt models as I brew 5 gal batches and running electrical is not an issue for me.
Are there any other issues when using an induction cook top?  My Spike Brewing kettle is supposedly induction compatible already but don't know if I am overlooking something.

Here is one I was looking at online. Not sure of the longevity but I like the price.
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco ... 8*240.html

Thanks in advance!
James
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Re: Induction Cook Tops. Need advice please

Post #2 made 7 years ago
Hi James,

I do not use Induction but had one additional thought / concern with brewing inside... Just make sure you have a large enough exhaust fan to remove moisture. That's the only thing that would give me pause with a big burner (large enough to do a 15 gallon pot with 90 minute boil)... And also the need to mount a pulley overhead. Does your "inside" include "garage"...? A pulley or a hook mounted there wouldn't look out of place in the garage... And who knows, depending on your layout in your kitchen maybe it wouldn't look out of place anyway.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 7 years ago
James, 
Scott has a good comment on the moisture. I typically brew inside -stove top. Usually 3+ gallon batches in 8 gallon kettle.  Some times I go larger by using full-volume variation.  Anyway I always brew with the window or two open - once I was halfway through a brew and found I had fogged up all the windows in the house  :? - didn't go over to well with my better half... Lucky for me I was brewing a batch for her ;)
Pete

Post #4 made 7 years ago
Thanks Guys,  I had given some thought to the moisture problem.  However, we live in the high desert and relative humidity is usually in the teens so some extra moisture is usually welcome.  The room (what should be a dinning room but hasn't been for years) I will hopefully set up in has two large double hung windows so I should be able to vent the moisture easily with a good fan.
Scott, We are currently brewing in the garage but the wife would like to move this process inside.  As for a hook I will either put one in the ceiling (9ft ceiling is a bonus) or weld up a stand for the Induction Burner and pot with an arm for the pulley. 

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming 

James

Post #5 made 7 years ago
Received my Adcraft Induction Cook-Top last week, set it up and brewed a batch of Blonde Ale on Sunday.  First, here is the link to the unit I purchased.  Shipping was great and it shipped direct from the manufacture.  If you sign up for JES's newsletter they will give you $10 off your order.
The unit itself seems very sturdy (specs say it can hold 300lbs) and with only one manual control it is simple to operate and also lends itself to automation somewhere down the road

http://www.jesrestaurantequipment.com/m ... 52240.html

Did some testing with water before I brewed and found it will increase the temperature of 8 gallons of water approximately 23 degrees every 10 min.  This seemed to be the same with or with out the pot being insulated but I will do more testing.  Having the lid on made the biggest difference.  When I tried with the lid off it could only raise the temp about 18 deg every 10 min.
During the brew day I started with 8.7 gallons of room temp RO water and within about 40 min I was at my target mash temp of 155 deg.  I mashed in, insulated the kettle with a sleeping bag, and waited 90 min (stirring a couple of times of course).  Pulled the bag, cranked up the heat and in about 30 min or so I was boiling.  I did put the lid back on until about 198 deg then left it off.
The boil was not as vigorous as it was with propane but I feel it was sufficient.  I didn't boil off as much as I did with propane (VAW was plus 2 quarts or so) I will adjust BIABacus for that next time I brew.
Best part it was windy, cold and rainy here on Sunday and I was inside brewing away!  :thumbs:  Had I been using propane I would have been out in the cold garage hoping the wind didn't kick up too much dust fro my other hobbies and get that into the wort.

Over all a good experience.  I'll update after a few more brews and I adjust my process slightly.   :drink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Electric BIAB”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 13 guests