Probably paranoid - recirculating biab

Post #1 made 8 years ago
I brewed a batch of Galaxy Delight a couple of days ago, my system is a typical recirculating BIAB. The bag is supported by a basket that keeps it off the walls of the outer vessel and off the heating element.

When I mash in I am in effect mashing into the volume of water in the bag obviously this is less than the total volume in the urn. I heat the water in the urn to strike temperature.

Issue 1. as a result of the above the mash in the bag will always start below the target mash temperature.

Water circulates through the grain in the bag relatively slowly.

I seem to have lost the rest of this post my Nexus7 gets a bit flaky some times.

aamcle
Last edited by aamcle on 16 Jan 2016, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
    • Over 20 Brews From Great Britain

Post #2 made 8 years ago
Even with recirculating, you'll want to give everything a good stir occasionally. I wouldn't concern myself about the initial strike temp, I'm always a bit low and simply raise it up before letting it sit. The bigger problem is being too high initially, very difficult to get the temp back down before the damage is done.

You're fine, go find something else to worry about. ;)

--Todd
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 8 years ago
I think with the recirculation you are still using the full volume. The water outside the bag is going to be recirulated as well. It is true that the mash in the bag is going to be compacted more but a good stir every few min as thuges suggests will help.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #5 made 8 years ago
We can help you to determine your strike temp, if using the BIABacus, in there is a tool for this. Urn users have a different factor than heavy gauge keg and propane users, for example.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 8 years ago
I think somebody up the thread has more or less suggested an answer, when the recirculation is started "Stir"! While "hands off" is a fine and Shiny Idea a couple of minutes with a large spoon may be just the thing.

I'll check the calculator, I'd be using it if I wasn't glued to a 7" tablet.

Thanks All aamcle

Post #8 made 8 years ago
I have, however I'll use a laptop next time I set up to brew. I find for general use the Nexus 7 tops it, the tablet's generally fantastic but hopeless with spread sheets.

Aamcle

Return to “Electric BIAB”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 28 guests