Building my first BIAB set up

Post #1 made 8 years ago
Apologies if this is covered in the forums but was hoping for a sanity check on the (what I think is the most simple) set up i'm about to put together.

Very basically, a 48L exposed element urn (already purchased) sitting on a bench with a 25L - 30L fermenter underneath the urn's tap.

A circular sheet of voile, a rope on a pulley set up, a colander to cover the element and immersion chiller handy.

After I pull the bag and boil the wort, I was going to hand stir a whirlpool while I immersion chill and once at fermenting temp, just free fall fill the fermenter from the urn's tap...hopefully leaving the trub behind and aerating the wort ready to pitch.

Is this mental and/or have I missed some steps that need addressing re: potential infections or not the right process to isolate teh trub etc?

Cheers...G

Post #2 made 8 years ago
Hey GS,
I would recommend to run the cooled wort via a hose into the fermenter.
By all means whirlpool by hand, with a spoon, paddle, etc, not your hand obviously, or maybe not.

However, making beer is very forgiving and in my opinion (careful arse covering there) more often than not your proposed process would work effectively.
Lemon
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 8 years ago
Sounds like BIAB in a nutshell, get to it!

@Lemon: I think that allowing the PROPERLY COOLED wort to freefall into fermenter would do a good job oxygenating it in preparation for fermentation. You are right to recommend transferring with a tube to prevent possible oxidation IF the wort has not properly cooled. A very good point!

---Todd
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 8 years ago
Does anybody know the Difference between Aeration and Oxidation???
Yeast need a lot of Air, Oxidation takes hours or Days.
The colder the wort is, the More gases it can hold.
JMHO.
Last edited by joshua on 20 Nov 2015, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Electric BIAB”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 10 guests