Jimmy's 15 Gallon eBIAB Build

Post #1 made 8 years ago
Let me preface this with the understanding that I get this is a little overboard for what some of you think BIAB should be as it's not exactly KISS but that's OK. Feel free to comment though as I am always open to feedback.

I decided to sell my 3 vessel keggle and cooler MLT setup along with one of my pumps so I could gather some funds for this. So here it goes:

I decided on a 15 gallon kettle from Brewers Hardware that is all tri-clamp welded fittings. The kettle includes a tangential input for whirlpooling. I also added a ferrule for my element.
I have added sanitary butterfly valves to the kettle and purchased a 2x2 SS shelf for everything to sit on. Luckily, the previous owner of the house moved the laundry area to an addition on the 1st floor so that opens this area up for me. Now I have water, a 30 amp circuit, and a dryer vent.
Next step is to mock it up. I haven't added hose clamps yet but will once everything is in the right spot. I will also be adding a good over the pump.

I put in a trub filter that I had from my last setup. I get that it's not a necessary piece but I like removing most of the protein and hop matter prior to fermenter. Personal preference. Plus I like the bling.

I've upgrade my pump head to a SS center inlet 3/4". The output has a 3- way ball valve that goes to 1. The whirlpool port and 2. To the fermenter.
I'm still working on my oxygenation setup not pictured.

Next step is to install my spa panel and build my PID control panel.

Well, that's all for now. More to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Jimyson on 27 Aug 2015, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.

Post #6 made 8 years ago
Not a whole lot done this week except for my spa panel which has a 30 amp breaker from one of my panels to this 50 amp GFCI panel. Off of it I have my L14-30 connector.

I also got my outlets holes cut out of the enclosure. Here they are dry fit. Now it's time to clean all of the holes. It's power in, element out, pump out, and temp probe.

Last edited by Jimyson on 05 Sep 2015, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

Post #8 made 8 years ago
What a beautiful setup.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #11 made 8 years ago
Got things pretty much wired up and the only thing left is to solder the temp probe cables to the XLR connectors.

Also need to add some hose clamps, get some tape on the pump head fittings, and run this thing through with some PBW for a cleaning and test run.

I'm looking forward to hopefully getting a well needed brew day this weekend.

Last edited by Jimyson on 23 Sep 2015, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

Post #13 made 8 years ago
I was envisioning a cleaner look with the wiring but I think overall it turned out perfect and am looking forward to a run with it. With a wife and 2 kids, the only way I was able to progress so quickly was to put in a lot of late evenings when the others were sleeping.

Did I say that I can't wait to make a run with it? :)

Post #14 made 8 years ago
Ran into an issue last night when taking it for a test/leak run and found that the temp probe contains a thermistor and my PID only supports a thermocouple. Guess I will need to change that out but in the interim, I decided to run some PBW through the system to give it a good clean.

Last edited by Jimyson on 25 Sep 2015, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.

Post #15 made 8 years ago
Rally nice build! I've been using a single vessel RIMS for a while and I love it!

If you're at all interested in cleaning up the top end just a bit (not that you need it), you can pop a hole in the lid and screw in an elbow (or a T if you want to integrate a second temp probe or something). Then attach your recirc line to the top and a generic sprinkler head to the bottom (under the lid). That way you can have a closed mash and get even coverage while you recirculate. Also makes cleaning in place REALLY easy...

Just my $0.02! Fantastic build!

Post #16 made 8 years ago
I was using RIMS with my 3 vessel for mash temp regulation. I liked it but didn't think it would fit the bill for full volume boil. Is that the capacity you are using it? Curious how it works.

Originally, I was thinking about recirculating the mash but many cautioned against it. I take it you are? Do you have pictures?

I also though about CIP of some sort but not sure it'll work because it's not bottom drain and the dip tube leaves a small gap to the bottom. How would that work?

Last edited by Jimyson on 26 Sep 2015, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

Post #17 made 8 years ago
I don't have a photo...I'm traveling right now so can't take one, but yes, I use it regularly. It's just a female threaded T turned on it's side. One side goes through the lid, where the spray head is threaded against it to hold it in place. The other side (which becomes the top, as the T is turned sideways) has a clover threaded onto it for a tri-clamp set up. The base of the T (facing sideways) has a temp probe threaded into it. Not my design...made by High Gavity Brewing. Simple, not terribly sexy, but works like a charm.

The large, cylindrical collindar insert supports the bag, keeping it clear of the burner, so there plenty of liquor available to be recirculated. I've never had a volume issue. I do give a quick stir every 15 min or so...I can't see a physical difference, but it (anecdotally) makes a difference to my efficiencies.

You're right, you don't get a true no-intervention CIP with a side draw, as there is always gonna be some left over you need to dump manually. I like your down-facing draw though, I give up a little over a liter with my side draw even when I tilt the kettle to flood the side where the draw is.

While it's not a perfect CIP, I like having the sprayer mounted under lid as it really showers the pbw and star san around. I brewed just the other day, and really had some tough looking sludge and grit left on the kettle wall. While I did other misc clean up, 10 min of pbw at 110* through the pump and sprayer took it all off. Pumped the majority of the cleaner out, then dumped the little bit left and did a quick clean water rinse. Then refilled by dumping my bucket o' star san I used for the brew day into the kettle and let 'er fly for 5 minutes to clean off the pbw. Then pumped the star san out and (again) dumped the remainder. Drained my tubing and pump and hung it all up for the day after a prefunterary wipe down. Clean as a whistle.

I guess if you had a big slop area (shower?) it might be easier not to CIP, but using my slop sink, it's easier to do my version of CIP. It'd be pretty cool if the kettle had a bottom draw. I bet you could weld in an elbow near the base, then weld in a solid, false bottom around the top of the elbow. That'd creat a bottom draw. Using BIAB, most of the particulate that makes it through the bag is small enough that it just goes right through the pump and spray head. My spray head has a small nylon particulate filter (not very fine) inside that collects only a little but of junk. Hmm...gets my mind racing. Might need to talk to my buddy who weld stainless! Again, love your set up. Very nice!

Return to “Electric BIAB”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 18 guests