Induction Heat for Maintaining Mash Temp ?

Post #1 made 11 years ago
Merry Christmas to everyone!
I’m getting this Kettle/BIAB mash tun and a bag for Christmas.
http://ihomebrewing.ca/16-gal-stainless ... h-tun.html
I am thinking of investing in an induction hob similar to this one.
http://www.cooktek.com/product/cooking- ... op-cooktop
My thinking is that it would heat the large mash tun/kettle more quickly and efficiently firstly, but secondly you can set the induction plate to maintain the pot at a constant temperature (designed for making sauces, melting chocolate, keeping food warm etc). So my question is…has any one used this feature of an induction plate to maintain a constant mash temperature. And does it work without having to use a blanket?
A magnet sticks to the bottom of the pot so should work on the induction hob. Some pots won’t be “induction ready”
Thanks in anticipation
Mark
Last edited by GuingesRock on 24 Dec 2012, 22:41, edited 2 times in total.
Guinges

Post #2 made 11 years ago
Good Day Mark, In America, some StainLess steel kettles don't work with Induction heaters.

You Should check with people who make the kettle and see if it is "induction ready", some are not!

The Magnet test says there is enough steel in the Stainless, But doesn't say how much Iron there is, which is what you need.

The temperature setting works very well with small pans, but can have trouble with large kettles (large surface area and radient Cooling), so some sort of Insulation may be needed.

The 1800 watt cooktop will have trouble with 5 gallon(us) so you may need 2500 or 3000 watt system.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 11 years ago
Hi Joshua, I'm up before the family this christmas morning. Chilling before the excitement of the day. Just wanted to say thanks for the friendly and helpful messages.
Hope you have a good Xmas Day.
Mark
Guinges

Return to “Electric BIAB”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 13 guests