Heat loss during mash

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Hi. I am on the cusp of moving from extract/steeping grains brewing to mini BIAB. One question I have is regarding heat loss from the pot during the mash. I have ordered a 20l stock pot and was wondering how well a vessel that size typically retains mash temperature? Do you need to keep a constant watch on the temp over the 90 minutes and fire up the stove for a couple of minutes every now and again to keep the temp relatively steady? I have watched the short video posted in another thread where the brewer stuck the pot in the oven for the 90 mins. Was that just an unheated oven? I am just a little concerned the temp will drop by a few degrees over time and need regular reheating which surely is not that accurate in maintaining a quality mash??

Post #2 made 9 years ago
Are you talking about the youtube vid stickied here by johnaberry?

His oven is heated and maintained at 70C, it says...
johnaberry mini-BIAB.jpg
You could test it out with just water and see how it goes,
so it's no worries on brew day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 29 Aug 2014, 05:59, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 9 years ago
Here was a decent idea for small batches.

http://biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2611

Still though, I'd run through it a few times the old fashioned way before I made a project out of something. It might not be all that bad if it can work in your oven. If not, I'd see how many times adding heat was needed to maintain temps before opening myself to the risks associated with moving the kettle around.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Re: Re:

Post #4 made 9 years ago
Mad_Scientist wrote:Are you talking about the youtube vid stickied here by johnaberry?

His oven is heated and maintained at 70C, it says...
johnaberry mini-BIAB.jpg
You could test it out with just water and see how it goes,
so it's no worries on brew day.
Exactly right. oven preheated and left on during mash. Tend not to lose any temperature and if I do it is negligible.
Last edited by johnaberry on 30 Aug 2014, 04:40, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Stove-top BIAB (also known as Mini-BIAB)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 18 guests