Would like to try this Hef Recipe with Mini-BIA

Post #1 made 10 years ago
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I would like to try BIAB, and I only do mini-batches (1 gal ~ 4 liters) at the moment. I have a stainless steel brewpot that is roughly 30cms in diameter. I tested it with plain water and I get evaporation loss of roughly 0.60 gal/hour.

The recipe I'd like to try is posted at HBT:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/bee-cav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... zen-35679/

To scale this down to a 1-gal batch, I used The Calculator and came up with the attached figures (xlsx).

Bavarian Hefeweizen
Target OG: 1.052
Target FG: 1.009
Batch size: 1 gal (3.79 liters)
Water needed: 2.6 gals (9.8 liters)

Grain bill
655 g of German Wheat
369 g of German Pils
55 g of rice hulls (is this necessary for such a small batch? - and how does it affect the water volume for BIAB?)

Hops
4.2 Hallertau @ 45mins
1.4 Hallertau @ 15 mins

Yeast: Wyeast Weihenstephan 3068 - recipe calls for starter, but for a 1-gal, I think a single smack-pack would be sufficient. Is that correct?

Could some more experienced brewers take a look at the scaled-down recipe and numbers (particularly water), and let me know if this looks fairly correct?

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by NearbyStars on 22 Aug 2013, 05:00, edited 2 times in total.

Post #4 made 10 years ago
NearbyStars wrote:55 g of rice hulls (is this necessary for such a small batch? - and how does it affect the water volume for BIAB?)
Rice hulls are used to prevent "stuck sparges" in traditional brewing. They are not really used in BIAB as far as I know. If you end up using them, I'd suggest they go in the bag first and then put your grain on top of the hulls.
Last edited by JackRussel on 13 Sep 2013, 00:26, edited 2 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Return to “Stove-top BIAB (also known as Mini-BIAB)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 25 guests