Uploaded youtube vid of my stove-top mini-BIAB

Post #1 made 11 years ago
Hi Guys.

After 8 successful Mini-BIAB brews I decided it was time to record my process and upload the result to Youtube.

I'm sure there are a few things I do differently to others but it works for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7_nhV769Z4

Feel free to take a look and let me know what you think (1st ever vid so a bit basic lol)

---------

Edited 13th October 2012 to change video
Last edited by johnaberry on 13 Oct 2012, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

Post #2 made 11 years ago
That's great work John :thumbs:,

I'd try and cut the whole vid down to 4 minutes at most though as most people won't watch a 15 minute vid.

I could only find one 'process' error (usually brewing vids have heaps ;)). A lot of hydrometers will crack when hot wort is poured over them so this should be avoided. I also personally think temperature correction formulas for gravity readings are not as accurate as is thought but need to do some more research on this. Cooling the sample as close as you can to the temp your hydrometer is calibrated at (15 C or 20 C) is the safest way to go.

Good on you :salute:,
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 11 years ago
Thanks for the kind comments PP

Yup, it's a tad on the long side, Youtube's built in editor is a bit ungainly so doesn't make it too easy to edit down too much.

The hottest wort I put straight over the hydrometer is 60c which (so far) hasn't caused any issues though I take your point, when I test the post boil gravity you'll be glad to hear that I do tend to cool it down first.

Whether by luck or judgement I do find that the temp correction for the gravity comes out damn near what the calculator says it should, in fact it's amazing how accurate the calculator seems to be (waiting with baited breath for Biabacus), the measurements for depth of liquid to show litre volume is a revelation and makes life hugely easier.

My main reason for uploading the video is the seeming lack of video's showing the stove-top practice so wanted to up the info (whilst also pointing people to this brill site)

Maxi-BIAB is my next hurdle to leap :-)

Post #4 made 11 years ago
I meant to post yesterday but forgot. Nice video. It shows the process for what it is...simple.

I don't recall you asking for process advice, but apparently PP and myself are willing to share our thoughts :lol:

+1 on the hydrometer with hot wort.

Also, I'd be leery of leaving your kettle uncovered while chilling for any length of time. The air is full of nasties that tend to fall in unwanted spots (cooled wort). A piece of sanitized Al foil could make things more fail-safe for future batches.

Post #7 made 11 years ago
:lol:

If you get a chance John, measure the sample hot and then leave it to cool down and check it again. It's just one thing I'd love to get more feedback on.

I also remember reading a while back that BIABrewer was looking for good videos as they are very hard to find. Would be a lot of work to re-film the hydro and chilling bit and then edit it all down to four minutes? I reckon that would make a damn good stove-top BIAB vid.

:party:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #10 made 11 years ago
John, that is really good. :thumbs: :clap: :champ:

I reckon edit your first post here so it has the updated vid in it.

What's the song?
Last edited by PistolPatch on 13 Oct 2012, 21:03, edited 2 times in total.

Post #11 made 11 years ago
cheers PP :salute:

Audio information for this video

Artist: CIRC
Song: Don't Think About It [Track One Recordings]
Album: Electric Love
Time: 04:28
Genre: Acoustic
Label: Track One Recordings

Just found it from adding track via Youtube, good innit :thumbs:

Post #13 made 11 years ago
Nice video. I did my first stovetop BIAB today. I hadn't thought of mashing in the oven. I wrapped my kettle in a sleeping bag. It held the temp surprisingly well.

Post #16 made 9 years ago
Really cool vid thanks for sharing. What capacity is that pot?
For the price of a coffee you can support this site and the wealth of info shared on this site.

Return to “Stove-top BIAB (also known as Mini-BIAB)”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 9 guests