How to use all-grain kit with BIABacus?

Post #1 made 7 years ago
Hi Gang,

Long time no see.  Hope all is well with everyone.

Morebeer is having an Xmas sale with 12% off most things on their site. This includes their Russian River's Pliny the Elder kit, which is $51 (with yeast), or $44.88 after the 12% discount. I reckon it would cost at least $62 if I bought the ingredients from my local homebrew shop. So I'm kinda into the idea of brewing this great IPA at a somewhat reduced price. Question: How hard is it to set up the recipe in the BIABacus? Below is an image of the ingredients that I grabbed from a site that will remain nameless  ;) 

Thanks very much,
Steve
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Re: How to use all-grain kit with BIABacus?

Post #5 made 7 years ago
I'm predicting the mash at 11.68 gallons, you can withhold what you need, just a slightly thicker mash.  With the high amount of hops on this one, I'm setting the OG to 1.070 to get you the most amount of wort to work with, as you will lose about 1/2 gallon due to wort retained by hops.

Just let us know when you have the kit in hand and if there is any instructions, total grain weight, hop AA%, hop schedule, etc. and we will go from there.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 7 years ago
Mad_Scientist wrote:I'm predicting the mash at 11.68 gallons, you can withhold what you need, just a slightly thicker mash.  With the high amount of hops on this one, I'm setting the OG to 1.070 to get you the most amount of wort to work with, as you will lose about 1/2 gallon due to wort retained by hops.

Just let us know when you have the kit in hand and if there is any instructions, total grain weight, hop AA%, hop schedule, etc. and we will go from there.
I'm trying to wrap my head around how setting the OG to 1.070 gets the most amount if wort with which to work.  If you can add water (section W) with a recipe calling for 1.084 to deal with a limiting kettle size,  I can't figure out targeting 1.070.  Need your help MS before my head explodes!

Post #11 made 7 years ago
[font=Arial]Package arrived today, and here are the details from the included instructions:[/font]

[font=Arial]70% Mash Efficiency[/font]
[font=Arial]Mash at 151-154F / 66-68C[/font]
[font=Arial]1.072-76 OG[/font]
[font=Arial]6 SRM / 11.8 EBC[/font]
[font=Arial]100 IBUs [/font]
[font=Arial]ABV 8%[/font]

[font=Arial]Fermentables[/font]
[font=Arial]13 lbs / 5897 g -- 2-row [/font]
[font=Arial]6 oz / 170 g -- Crystal 40L (159 EBC / 81 SRM)[/font]
[font=Arial]1 lb / 454 g -- Carapils 1.5L (2.5 EBC / 1.3 SRM)[/font]
[font=Arial]1 lb / 454 g -- Corn sugar (last 10 mins of boil)[/font]

[font=Arial]Hops[/font]
[font=Arial]2 oz / 57 g -- Cascade 6.4% AA (whole) -- MASH at 60 mins[/font]
[font=Arial]2 oz / 57 g -- Magnum 12.4% AA  -- Boil at 90 mins[/font]
[font=Arial]1 oz / 28 g -- Simcoe 12.9% AA -- Boil at 45 mins[/font]
[font=Arial]1 oz / 28 g -- Columbus 10% AA -- Boil at 30 mins[/font]
[font=Arial]2 oz / 57 g -- Centennial 12.0% AA -- Flameout[/font]
[font=Arial]1 oz / 28 g -- Simcoe 12.9% AA -- Flameout[/font]
[font=Arial]3 oz / 85 g -- Columbus 10% AA-- Dry hop for 5-7 days[/font]
[font=Arial]1 oz / 28 g -- Centennial 8.9% AA[/font][font=Arial] -- Dry hop for 5-7 days[/font]
[font=Arial]1 oz / 28 g -- Simcoe 12.9% AA -- Dry hop for 5-7 days[/font]

[font=Arial]1/2 tab Whirlfloc -- Boil at 5 mins[/font]

[font=Arial]Yeast [/font]
[font=Arial]Safale US-05 at 68F / 20C[/font]

[font=Arial]Mash water calculation: total lbs of grains * 1.1 qts -- 14.375 * 1.1 = 15.8 qts / 4 = 3.95 gals[/font]
[font=Arial]Sparge water calculation: total lbs of grains * .5 gals -- 14.375 * .5 = 7.18 gals[/font]
[font=Arial]Total water: 11.13 gals / 11 gals 17 ozs / 42.13 liters[/font]
Last edited by shetc on 30 Dec 2016, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.

Post #12 made 7 years ago
Mad_Scientist wrote:I'm predicting the mash at 11.68 gallons, you can withhold what you need, just a slightly thicker mash.  With the high amount of hops on this one, I'm setting the OG to 1.070 to get you the most amount of wort to work with, as you will lose about 1/2 gallon due to wort retained by hops.

Hey MS -- Please see my latest reply, which has all the details you requested. Thanks!

Post #13 made 7 years ago
Take a look at this Steve.  Open for discussion.  I did factor in the wort loss from hop absorption (I added .6 L to the KFL to show what to expect for the VIF).  If you use paint strainer bags for the hops and squeeze them "dry" when done will have the least amount of wort loss.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 01 Jan 2017, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #14 made 7 years ago
Mad_Scientist wrote:Take a look at this Steve.  Open for discussion.  I did factor in the wort loss from hop absorption.
Side effect of new site layout?
Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 10.58.58.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #19 made 7 years ago
Mad_Scientist wrote:You are right, I couldn't either.  Here is the same file, let's try again.
Ok, MS, this looks great! I am getting a mash volume warning for my kettle (36 cm x 40 cm) -- if I hold back like a liter for a sparge then that warning goes away but then I get the "Decrease Water used in a Sparge" warning. I brew with a Bayou Classic kettle, and place the bag inside the kettle's perforated basket. So I think for safety's sake, I think I can ignore the sparge warning by lifting the basket, and running the sparge water through it. Make sense?
Also, I want to do some learning here. The fermentable section is straightforward -- sum the total weight of malt, and itemize the sugar. How did you arrive at the hop bill information?

Post #21 made 7 years ago
Mad_Scientist wrote:You can totally mash that close to the rim, but to play it safe, withhold some and add it back after dough-in.

My hops thing is just a quick entry, go ahead and enter your hop bill in.  Mash hops might be entered as zero minutes. :dunno:
Much obliged, MS. Have a Happy New Year!!!

Post #22 made 7 years ago
[font=Arial]Hi Guys,[/font]

[font=Arial]Just a quick note to let you know that I brewed the MoreBeer Pliny the Elder kit last weekend. All went well, thanks to Mad Scientist's help with the BIABacus! The result won't be exactly right as I suffered from a short spate of temporal dyslexia -- I added one of the hop charges at at 1 hour 45 mins rather than just 45 mins so perhaps more bitter than intended.[/font]
[font=Arial] :headhit: [/font]

[font=Arial]Steve[/font]

Post #23 made 7 years ago
[font=Arial]Well, the MoreBeer's Pliny the Elder tastes pretty damn good. I haven't tried the real thing in a few years so not sure how close it is, but I'd buy kit again for sure.[/font]

Post #24 made 5 years ago
BIABacus PR1.3U - BD Belgian Castle Tripel - shetc - Batch A0.xls

Ok another kit query. Attached is the BIABacus for a Tripel that is supposed to produce 5 US gallons of 11% ABV beer, but I am seeing 4 gallons of 9.4% ABV beer. Did I do it right? Thanks, guys!
Last edited by shetc on 17 Sep 2018, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.

Post #25 made 5 years ago
Hey there Steve,

For some reason I and others have totally missed this thread. (There's an email notification problem going on that, thanks to Microsoft etc will need a university degree to correct ;) )

Anyway, let's have a look...

I think you are correct and they are wrong. Would need more info though to confirm that. For example, if you order the kit, are they delivering the exact weights you have listed on the left hand side of Section C of the BIABacus? If yes, then, even if you set your Kettle to Fermenter Loss to zero in Section X, things still won't balance.

(Top job in Section Y btw ;) )

Really need a photo or list of actual ingredients to double-check though :think:
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “Intermediate Brewing”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 20 guests